Help! Beginner!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by StonerMan87, Apr 30, 2016.

1. So this is my redneck setup. Lol. 8(4 ea plant) 100w cfl(5000k) bulbs in 5 gallon containers. ph is like 7.8 and ppm is around 1,700. I will be ordering a grow tent and hps/mh light and other stuff I need. Any advice or pointers is appreciated. I was told the plants are like 2-3 weeks old, they did stretch a bit due to low light but now my likes are like 3-6 inches away and I buried the stalk more . It's an unknown strain and I am currently using Natures Care Organic Compost for soil but I plan on switching to Fox Farms Ocean Forrest. I suffer from ptsd, anxiety, and depression so I need this to succeed with awesome results.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. the redneck game is strong here! your plants look nice tho, these are all female correct?

3. OK.... Your light set up is a lot better than some I've seen start out with, so I think you're good right now on that. The biggest issue I see is that you've got a bunch of plants in 2 HUGE buckets of dirt. Any off the shelf soil needs to have about 40% perlite added to it to get the type drainage these plants require to stay healthy. You need to amend your soil with perlite and repot those plants into Solo cups. Give them some water that is pH'd right. Yours is off the chart high at 7.8 and continuing to use it will eventually lock up the roots of your plants and they won't be able to take in nutrition. Get them into a proper container, give them pH'd water and don't mess with them anymore until you see them start to grow foliage more vigorously and you know that they have used almost all the water you used when you planted them. You can pick up the cup and it feels nearly bone dry, then you water again. By bringing them up one container size at a time, it takes them less time to get rooted in...which is the first thing they do when put into soil...establish a root system. Until that's done, the foliage will pretty much just sit there and wait and the plant uses little to no water. Putting a tiny plant in a 5 gallon bucket will take some serious time to root in. LOL When the plant has grown larger than the container it's in, wider and taller, it's typically slightly root bound and it's time for a new container. Go up a size and give it fresh soil and good water. Frequent repotting allows the soil to feed your plants and you don't have to fry them with nutes on your own. You are WAY WAY high on the ppm for nutes for plants like that who really need none at this age anyway. We start nutes when the plants have had a chance to grow and use what came in the soil naturally. There is a range that you can stay within for soil grows ...I'm thinking it's like 500-800 ppm for nutrient water...but look that up because I'm not certain. Go to the new grower threads here and read the sticky's dedicated to the new grower. They contain this basic information that you should know before getting plants. Everybody thinks and worries about the lights they're growing under. Lights will do you NO good if you don't understand the process of growing the plant. But, the more you grow, the better you get at it and the more it makes sense. You just have to chalk your mistakes up to the learning curve which can be as steep as you choose it to be. The information is there, you just have to be willing to go read and research it out.

• Like Like x 3
  4. I feel like they should be bigger. I have no idea what sex they are or strain. I'm hoping female though...

5. Why didn't you use I seed per pot? Your lighting looks good! But them CFLs have to be 1 to 2 inches away they look to far away bud! Looks overwatered and lacking light and ventilation. See if you could get your lights closer! I don't know too many people who grow multiple plants in 1 pot. So I'm sure someone will come along with better information about that.
    Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. But I'm not using any nutes. : / but I will put them back in a smaller pot with perlite.

7. Those two together are stuck together at this point.

8. Ok, smaller containers and watered with a little distilled.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. There you gomuch better lights look closer! They need to be close no more than 2 1/2 inches away. But Looks good!
    Good Luck

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  10. r
    Lights are 3-6 inches, 2 inches is too close.

11. Ok, I lied. Lights are 2 1/2-3 on the singles, and the double plant the light is 4 inches away.

12. Unfortunately the 2 together are entangled at this point....

13. #13 Robbie714, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Okay lol. I started with Cfl's I my plants would just about touching my lights, I was using the sides of the CFL to get better lighting, then if it was just hitting the bottom part of the bulb I wouldn't go that close 1 1//2 to 2 1/2 inches the most. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I had mine that close with no problems.
    Good Luck

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app[​IMG][​IMG]same girls just under an LED now I'm using CFLs as bottom lighting there good to use for veg and flower. You just need more watts during flower. Most people use day light bulbs for veg and soft light for flower. Some people use what ever they have[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. I would just keep it the way you have it it!!! looks like it's working good
    Good Luck

• Like Like x 1
  15. I would recommend separating each plant into individual pots now before their roots intertwine

• Like Like x 1

16. Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Unfortunately it's too late for that...

18. Hmmm... ok cool, see I've gotten so much advice and everyone's different so it's hard to decide ya know. Lol, I'm not saying anybody is wrong, just tons of advice to process and figure out. I appreciate the help, your plants look awesome, too me anyway being a newbie. Lol. I really think this soil is shi**y soil though but idk. I was gonna order Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil because I've heard that's good soil to grow in....

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ok, smaller containers and watered with a little distilled.

Attached Files:

20. Welcome to opinioncity* lol.

The widow white hit it right on the head though, as usual.

"The world is in your hands,
    Mine are in the dirt."

• Like Like x 1