help almost harvest time!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by greenluver420, Jan 1, 2012.

1. so its almost time to harvest and i'v ran across some goood bud in the past that has no real smell to it , it smells like hay or cut grass? how would i keep the dank smell i guess lock it in the buds' i want it to smell almost like it was still on the plant how do i do this and keep a STRONG SMELL???

2. Hi..

I have found that great smell comes from the curing stage. Often, after drying, the buds seem to loose much of their great smell. After trimming and storing in glass mason jars with a tight seal, I store them in a dark cool place. For the first couple of weeks, I open the jars every day just for 15 seconds, to let the humidity out. Then I do it every couple of days, then once a week. The longer I cure it, the better the smell gets. If it gets too dry, I will place a couple of live leaves in the jar to add moisture back in.

I live in a very dry climate, so your procedures may be different. I saw somebody talk about drying their plants for 7-10 days. Where I live, they are dry in 3-4 days!

Check out the Harvest & Curing thread for other methods (natural and unnatural) for getting the great smell back into the plants.

Good Luck & Happy New Year!

3. I always use a humidity gauge when I dry/cure. It takes away all the guess work.

I leave the buds out for a few days till they feel dry on the outside, then I jar them up for a short while (1/2 hour). This leaches excess moisture out of the center of the buds to the outside. I then dump the buds back out for a few more hours. I repeat this multiple times while keeping a humidity gauge in the jar with the buds. When humidity reaches about 65%, the weed is dried and ready to start curing. From there just keep an eye on it and if it gets over 65% jsut lay the buds out for an hour and rejar. Optimum humidity percentage should be about 55-60% ...over 65% and your buds will be sticky and clump up...under 50 and they will be bone dry and break up into a powder. I can be a fine line, keep a close eye on the gauge after jarring...if the bud is too moist it will screw up the smell. Also if it gets too dry before being jarred it loses it's smell.

There's more details on this method of dry/curing..for a detailed guide, google " a perfect cure everytime"