Help all my seedlings die after a maximum of a week.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by icantgrow420, May 30, 2015.

1. #1 icantgrow420, May 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2015
    Hi. Ive bought 4 lots of seeds and no matter what i do they all die. Im using the paper towel method to germinate them, then putting them straight into coco coir.
    I have them under a desk lamp, with cling film over them to keep the humidity high, for a couple days then i move them into my veg tent. My veg tent has a 125w veg light and the temperature changes between 26 during the day and down to around 20 at night. The humidity is always around 80% and the Ph of the water i used to wet the coco is 6.
    My seedlings were fine inside my house but they were stretching under the desk lamp so i moved them outside, into my clone cube, and they were fine for a day. Two days after i put them into the cube  a couple of them fell over, which i thought was from the stretching so i propped them up, then a day later they had gone yellowy and shrivelled up. Can anyone think of any reason they are dying, or what i'm doing wrong. Ive already grown once before and it went perfectly, i don't understand what i'm doing different this time.
    Thanks for the help.

2. #2 killset, May 30, 2015
    Could be damping off. Too much water causes it. I'm not saying that's the problem . You didn't list how much you water or how often.

3. #3 icantgrow420, May 30, 2015
    I haven't even watered them yet, they are till moist from when i first wet the coco. and id only water when the top of my pot starts to dry up.

4. if the medium was originally too wet it could happen. Got any pics? How wet was the medium to begin with? Was there any discoloration at the base of the plant or where it bent? Did it break at soil level or further up? How were the roots of the dead plants?

5. #5 icantgrow420, May 30, 2015
    I soaked the coco then squeezed some of the water out before i potted it, i knew it shouldnt be too wet and it broke above soil level about half way up. I have photos but how do i put them on here, sorry i only made this account today.

6. #6 Joint., May 30, 2015
    by half of it was was up do you mean like the stem popped out of the soil but never straightened itself out and showed leaves?
    Of thats the case you most likely have been packing it too much and the little babies don't have enough energy to break through, even then though you figure one would have successfully by now. Its almost hard to consistently mess up this bad bro. 

7. depends on what device your using to how to load them. I'm on the app on my phone right now and use the plus sign to the left of the reply

8. He mentioned they turn yellow and shrivel, so they definitely can break the surface fine. 

Did you start is coco last time with good results?

9. Nah they break through the soil and got leaves, they were all fine and green. Then they just went yellowy and died. They were acouple inches tall then they broke like an inch up and just fell over, its not that the soils too packed. Ive literally been trying everything and everything is right but they keep dying.

10. last time i put them in rockwool then put them in coco. But my mate who has been growing for a long time always puts them straight into coco and they are fine.

11. Yeah true I went back and read the first post more thoroughly.
    OP we are going to have to pick apart your whole setup this 125w is it H.I.D? How far is it from your plants? 
    Im my honest opinion 80% humidity is a bit high but still manageable. Also you stated this happened when taking them outside in your clone cube which im assuming is a dome. If thats the case I would take the lid off and see how they do... I had 16/17 seeds pop and survive in rather low humidity about 50%

12. I think your problem is trapping them in a 100% humidity dome.  That's for clones and it will just kill a seedling, as soon as you put the seed in the soil, put it under light and in the open so it can breath.

13. How long are you keeping them in a dome?

14. This here! Seedlings need lots of co2..fresh air is more important than your humidity..lower humidity just means you need to wet the tops a bit more.misting with a foilar spray bottle..

Use a small oscillating fan to keep the plants moving slightly this will strengthen the stalk from falling away..strong stalk means happy plant..

Also are you using just plain coco? No perlite or any other aeration ?,I also think your roots are not developing well.. Your soil should have dried up by now..they like barely moist medium..especially coco..you need something to help you drain water better..plus it helps oxygen get to the roots better which is what makes hydro mediums so much better at root development and thus bud development..do 6ou have a fertilizer line ready? Coco is inert with no nutritional value..you will need it or your plants will die..seedlings don't need anything heavier than 200 ppm in the water..

15. its a cfl 125w light thats roughly 10" above my plants. My clone club isnt a dome its a mini tent. really 50%? everywhere online says thats too low and that seedlings need around 60-80%

16. yeah im just using plain coco, which is what i used for my whole grow last time. Yeah when i looked at the roots they hadnt developed at all and for nutrients i use canna a and b. 

17. I used canna Terra on my autos
    .not a fan anymore..roots organics is where its at

18. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1433003293.751161.jpg this is before one of them died ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1433003319.716524.jpg this is when it died and I pulled it up to look at the roots ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1433003343.349548.jpg and this is my last living one

19. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1433003738.383438.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1433003761.100187.jpg this is inside and outside my clone cube if that helps

20. #20 Storm Crow, May 30, 2015
    That middle shriveled part of the stem says "damping off"! Run your slightly damp planting medium through the microwave and get it steaming hot. "Damping off" is a fungus, and it kills billions of seedlings. By "cooking" your potting soil, you will kill off the fungus spores. [​IMG] Remove the "cooked" soil and let cool completely before adding your sprouted seeds. (And while it is cooling, you might clean out the microwave. It will need it!  [​IMG] ) Also, keep a fan on your seedlings, "damping off" loves stagnant air!

Granny