Help/Advice - 2-3 month old plants

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by O~negative, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Approx. 2 1/2 month old plant. They're both from seed, sorry for no overall plant pictures- I'll return to this thread Wednesday with better pictures. Mainly just posting for any advice or constructive criticism. I'm aware of the pest issue but I've kind of ignored it because it doesn't seem to be hindering growth. It's mostly grasshoppers from what I've seen, any ideas how to prevent them? They've been grown pretty much 100% natural with some miracle grow and coffee grounds mixed into the bottoms of the holes I dug into native soil. I water normally just every 2-3 days and feed maybe 1-2 every seven days. Mostly I've just listened to the plant on that end of the spectrum. Water comes from a pond not too far from grow- they also receive rain water occasionally. No, I have not PH'd the water. I topped each plant once but I'm pretty sure it turned out to be FIM's - I would like some input on that if anyone has it to offer.

Thanks a bunch- hakuna matata[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. hi there .plant looking ok youve topped the plant/s so your going to get two main tops ..myself i cant really see you got any problems with the plant growing ,,,shame about the grasshoppers though never had that sort of trouble ,,any how best of luck mate .,,,mac

3. What's up? Plant looks health for the most part. I would suggest surrounding it with a cage to protect it from animals and to provide the branches supports as it grows larger. I would also treat with a pesticide to prevent further pest damage. I would use BT for caterpillars, moths and others and been or other insecticide for mites. The last thing you want is your hard work and time to be ruined by pest. I would watch how much coffee grinds you give the plant as it can cause soil to become acidic. If you want to give it nutrients I suggest kelp and fish elusions. They are quick acting and the results are seen within days. Personally I have NEVER PH ed my water for plants in soil, or plants outdoors. The soil provides a buffer for the plants and if using pond water you should be fine as long as it's been refilled with rain. I would worry if it was a drought and the water was low but other than that it should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. What would be the best way to cage them? I've seen some people who fold hog panels over them and then do a mini Scrog type thing, but I've also seen it when people just put a little circular fence right around the plant. What do you think is best for this application? Also, for the insecticide- is there any other more natural ways to repel pests? I'm not against insecticides but just looking for possible household alternatives if there is such a thing?

5. Thx Mac- input is much appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  6. I would put chicken wire around the plants and use stakes to support the plant later in the season. I let some branches rest on top of the cage and grow through it but for the most part I try not too because where I'm at a windy storm can do some damage.

• Like Like x 1
  7. That's probably what I'll go with because we can have some pretty windy days here, thanks for the guidance Boggie. It's much appreciated

8. you know it's hard to tell but I think I see male preflowers in pics #2 and #3

9. Yeah, probably bad photo angle on my part Tuolumne. I actually positively identified that plant today as female- saw the little white hairs out of the little sac near the top where I topped it. Thank you though as that comment definitely made me look a little closer

10. [​IMG][​IMG]

Here's a couple pics I got from today ~9am of plant #1. Forgot to take pics of number 2, was somewhat in a hurry because I had an appointment. Anyways- definitely need to handle my grasshopper issue because I have noticed as the plant is getting bigger they're seriously starting to become more of a problem. Also, I fed them today with generic mix in plant food. I think it was miracle-gro bloom and feed or something of the like. This plant is also getting really- really bushy around the stem and I don't know if this is just normal or if I need to LST or trim, any help would be appreciated. Thx -O~

11. new branches are forming, let her go. I see a lot of guys ruin their yield/plants by removing sun leaves that do not need to be removed. Think of them as solar panels making energy for growth. I'm not sure what to do about the grasshoppers, I wish you luck with those.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yessir, thanks Tuo. I'm thinking about using a garlic spray to prevent the grasshoppers. Anyone have any idea if the garlic spray would be safe to use on my plants?

13. If you can find need oil get that, I'm not sure about garlic. Lowe's, Menards, and other garden places usually have it.

If you can mulch your plants with old rotten leaves, straw, or wood chips, don't put mulch right next to the base of the plant though. Dry egg shells crush them and sprinkle it around the base of the plant to help detour soft skinned insects like slugs, snails.

14. neem wont work for hoppers, I dont see hopper damage on those plants however.

15. If I had some photos I'd post them but the damage is pretty extensive and I visited the plants last night and there were anywhere from 1-2 dozen hoppers on each plant. Small green ones, around the size of the end of your index finger.

16. 7/1 Update

Well Grasshoppers are still tearing me down, I think the Heat is getting to them a little bit. I just finished watering them with about 4 gallons of pond water each. The pond is pretty large and healthy, tons of fish and aquatic plants there. I also took some of that floaty moss you find in shallow areas of the pond and put it around the base of one of the more "in the sun" plants. Any help, advice, and comments are all appreciated [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. They are not in flower so i would spay them with neem.

18. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I don't always have time to get on Grasscity. Here's a link to my grow. It will show you some of the methods I use and has photos of the cages and plants. I use weld wire fencing to encircle the plants then cut the wire to add a top to the cages. This works great and provides great support for the plants, allows for LST training, and provides protection from animals and rippers. Rippers can't make one cut and steal the entire plant, instead the have to cut branches one at a time making it more difficult to steal the entire crop. For IPM (pest) I use organic and natural methods. I rotate my ipm each week to prevent pest from building a resistance and in order to be effective as possible. Each year I put praying mantis eggs out in the garden along with releasing ladybugs. I will rotate using Spinosad and BT to kill and prevent caterpillar, moths and other pest. They are however not effective against aphids mites and others so I also rotate using neem, Big Time Exterminator, Azamax, and a few other organic oils that contain rosemary and other essential oils. Currently I am growing lavender, various hot peppers and mint that I will use to make my own solution for ipm. I am big on being organic as I am a disabled veteran and have enough medical problems along with providing medication for my woman who is a breast cancer survivor. I learned in the beginning of learning to grow that organic is the best and safest way to produce my medication. In the long run my plants turn out just as big and possibly stronger than those plants grown with bottled chemicals. Check out my grow and hopefully you will learn a few tricks.

Kronicly Insane's 2017 Outdoor gardens.

Kronicly Insane's 2017 Outdoor gardens.