Help a newbie out

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by growdonoloco, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Hello guys, hope you are all well and healthy.

I think that my leaves are curling down because I overwatered them when I transplanted to this pot ( I gave it 2l, stupid internet guide).

My ambient:

Auto seeds
    Light 50w LED - 80cm away from plants - 24h on
    25Cº - 85% humidity
    Grow tent: 120x60x60
    Fan and exhaust turned off

So here are my questions:
    1. The leaves look really skinny and dark, is this due to the light not being close enough?
    2. How do I know when to water them again, since they are drying up from the overwatering?
    3. I used jiffy's to germinate 3 seeds, only this one sprouted, I'm using a different method this time, I'm soaking them on water 24h and then moving them to a paper towel;
      1. How often should I moisturize the paper towel?
      2. When taking it out, where do I plant it? The Jiffy is either too wet or too dry, should I just put them in my normal soil (medium nutrients) inside a plastic cup? Or are they too young for this soil?
    Thank you so much for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Going to try and answer some questions but keep in mind I’m not a professional by any means...
    1. Seedlings don’t need much light so I don’t think that would be the problem (again not a professional)
    2.you water them again when the soil or median you are using is very dry.... can you tell it’s easy. Water when median is dry not the plant
    3. You should only have to water the paper towel once and stick it in a bag.. in a few days you will have tap roots
    4. As soon as the tap roots are about 1/2 - 1 inch big you can plant them directly in the soil or whatever you are planting it in. Face the tap root down about and inch in the soil and lightly cover it up. Planting in smaller container can help with over watering issues but you will have to transplant it which may shock the plant but just do it right and your fine. Or just plant it in bigger pot and try not to over water it.

Hope any of this helped!

• Like Like x 1
  3. hey, yur media is way too *hot, meaning that seedling is in media that has too much nitrogen in it.
    You need to use media with almost no nutrients in it when you start seeds.
    I would suggest either replanting it into a seedling mix or flush it out with some mineral water (buy some). Just mineral water. Problem is you don't want to overwater it... kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    Don't use tap water to feed it, not at this stage.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thank you a lot! It sure helps! :)

Thanks, so the Jeffy's are the perfect soil for this? They do not have any nutrients i guess. I only have the soil I planted it in. Do you have any tips for keeping Jeffy's moist without overwatering? I'm leaving them in a plate with some water on the bottom and thin foil to block the light from my tent. What is your suggestion?

Regarding the water, I have two types of bottled water at home, I have one with 9.5 pH and another with 5.4 pH I also have pH Down. Is 5.4 good enough? Thank you so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. if this is an organic grow then sooner or later you will have to supplement calcium and magnesium if you are using any other kind of water besides tap because the tap water has it in it already. Also 5.4 is way too low of a PH.. you might be better off using the higher PH water and adding some PH down until it get to your desired PH.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. the paper towel method can cause more damage than help in terms of germination. Just a 12-24 hour soak and into Rapid Rooters. I would suggest a propagation dome. Rapid Rooter sells a lot with 50 plugs and the propagation dome. If you plan to start in a large pot like that, use a 60 ml syringe to water just the area around the seedling. A lightly amended soil such as Happy Frog or Light Mix is good for seedlings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. you can place the jiffy pot in a plastic sandwich/snack bag, just leave the top out (obviously).
    pH 5.6 is too low. You want pH 6.0-6.2 optimally, some will disagree...

• Agree Agree x 1