Hello there!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Johnny Stash, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Hey there. Hope everyone is well.

Just started my grow in Canada. 4 feminized White Widow from BC Seed King. Trying to keep it "organic" as possible (sheep manure, compost, BioThrive Grow/Bloom). Looking good so far. I actually have had tough times with soil/potted grows in the past. Hydroponics and I used to get along like old friends. This should be an interesting experiment.

I will post a new topic soon with more details and pics of the grow as soon as I figure this forum out a little better.

Anyways, have a great day!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hmm. Sounds good. Just make sure that there are no pests. Organic matter tends to attract unwanted organisms which will eat your roots.

• Like Like x 2
  3. 10-4. Thankfully it's -18°C and everything is snow covered where I am already so outside influence is minimal and I am growing in a tent in my spare room.

Anything to watch out for specifically? Thanks for any advice

• Like Like x 1
  4. Holy nut sack. How do you survive in -18c?? I have never been in less than 5c. Anyway, watch out for fungas gnats. Those damn things are everywhere where I live (South Africa). I quit soil growing because of them. I don't think that they will be anywhere near Canada though. They like warm areas. Make sure there is no worms or anything in the soil. Some worms can be good for your plant and actually create air pockets and loosen the soil - allowing for more air flow to the roots. Which is a really good thing. But some worms get the munchies and eat the roots

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thanks Teletubbies! I will head to the local greenhouse and see if they have something for that and see what else they say. I did see a gnat looking fly the other day but squashed it and haven't seen any since.

And the temperature.....you ain't seen nothing my friend . I'm near the Arctic circle so it will be -30°C (or even colder) soon!

I am having an issue on my phone getting it to 'Quote' so forgive my etiquette lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nice. You going to make a grow journal? And what light you gonna have in that grow tent? With outside temps like that, keeping a 1000W hps cool will not be a challenge lol. Even with a strong inline fan, a HPS can make the tent extremely hot in my country.. Sometimes during summers it gets to around 40+ degrees C at times.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Absolutely!

White Widow, yeah, yeah, I'm Old and boring

With a 1000W, just the cool walls of the spare room are enough to keep it at about 25°C at the ceiling, 22-23°C at the plants, with my outer spare room sealed up, even. Perfect for CO2 in a few weeks.
    In fact, I will probably have to turn the electric base boards on when the real cold hits to keep it warm enough when the lights are off.

• Like Like x 2
  8. High Johnny and welcome to GC!

I too am way up north in Alberta and we got plenty of fungus gnats up here too. Very tiny black flies about half the size of a fruit fly with narrow abdomens compared to a fruit fly's belly. Bit bigger than a no-see-um but not by a lot. Way less hassle to deal with than thrips or the mother of all pot pests, spider mites.

If you bought commercial, sterilized manure etc you should be OK tho those damn gnats will lay eggs in any bags of it or any garden stuff like potting soils and even soilless mixes if there are tears in the bags/bales while sitting around at stores waiting to be sold.

4 lousy plants suck. Should be 4 flowering plants so a guy can have veg plants waiting to flower as others get cropped.

I have a medical permit for 12g/day tho have never filed with Hellth Canaduh to grow tho thinking I might so I can legally grow up to 60 plants. Nobody's bothered me the last 17 years so I might be better off staying in the closet than being on a gov't hit list. Have 9 on the go now and many more about to be sprouted.

Good luck with the grow tho!

9. Thanks man! Yeah the 4 plant limit is definitely not the best, but that seems to be the only limit (besides 1KG max dried in-house). Nothing about how long you can veg, or how big you can grow them or how much light in your room.

So, I'm gonna just spend a little extra veg time, and grow me some monsters lol!!

If you want to check it out, here's my journal

White Widow, yeah, yeah, I'm Old and boring

I used to have a giant 8x1000W setup myself. But I also have a record so I haven't bothered looking into the license, and as you say.....why give them a reason to come here? If they show up
    "it's 4 plants"

"that's not 4 plants!"

"Lol.....'tis so, now GTFO my house"

• Like Like x 1
  10. -18 is a sweater day. We don't break out the parkas until it hits -25C. When I was driving water trucks to build ice roads I filled my truck one morning from a creek when it was -51. Now that's getting a little chilly.

I bet it's a hell of a shock for all the migrants that come here from warm countries but plenty do.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Literally not kidding at all lol

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hey, welcome to the city. I love your name @Johnny Stash. Pretty funny and creative. I hope to see you around more.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Thanks man, you too!!!

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1