Helicopter Detection

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by upinthesky, May 30, 2011.

1. So today me and a friend were talking about how people who grow outdoors get caught. He told me that the helicopter police have technology that allows them to see plants based on heat or something. He told me that although they can do that, it doesnt work unless you have 3-4 or more plants or something. So say if someone had one small plant, would they be able to see it? also, does their heat thing work if the plant is in the shade?

2. Yeah they do, but many other plants give off the same amount of heat, like manzanita. Doesn't really matter how many you have, popo won't bother swooping down unless you're a good 99 bitches deep. Keep it real.

3. are you really saying that from a heli that the police can tell the different plants from eachother (on the ground) by the different heat waves/temps given off by plants... IM CALLING BULLSHIT.

LINK?

4. Just do some research. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRbBu8nkjRk]YouTube - ‪Cops use helicopter and heat to detect marijuana grow operations in UK.‬‏[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wait my bad, I kind of just posted that video without watching it because i thought it would explain it. that video is more for indoor grow operations, but if you google something like "outdoor weed helicopter thermal" or something like that, you should find it. Its something about the trichomes reflecting light or something

6. please post when found correct one you think tells

7. Cannabis cultivation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "In helicopters, they use infrared cameras and other equipment that can detect cannabis by measuring the heat and reflective signature of the vegetation below[citation needed]. Cannabis has higher reflectivity at certain wavelengths than other rural crops, such as corn. Law enforcement agencies have found that the use of this technology has become necessary in their detection efforts because many growers hide cannabis among other plants, making detection with the naked eye difficult even from the air. These techniques are effective and difficult to defeat because a plant's reflective signature is difficult to change or mask. It has been said[who?] that if the cannabis plant is planted by a pine or cedar tree, the heat from the tree overlaps the cannabis plant heat, making it harder to detect from helicopters.[citation needed]"

8. im speechless... wiki with nothing but hearsay and no citation? What kind of equiptment do they use *whats the name and company that makes this wonder thermal reader?* please find something that is not just another version of "my friend just put this on wiki"

9. God daammm we got some great technology man.

10. hey my bro's a cop and he tells me stories about cops finding a single plant in people's backyards, all from a helicopter- you don't need a field to be caught. that being said, police departments also have budget problems and these days they don't (can't) fly as much as they used to

11. i just want to know the name of this magic thermal reader and the company that make it. Im sure i could see 1 16ft plant growing outside from a heli without any viewing equipt except binoculars

12. nothing else looks like a marijuana plant big or small.thermal detection is used only for indoor grow rooms which can make the whole house lit up when looked at through a thermal detector.

13. I don't know the name of the company, nor do i care. I didn't make this thread so that i could educate you. If you want to know this stuff, google it yourself.

14. it doesnt exsist the way you say...period

15. So they can detect like 1 or 2 plants??

16. read thread then post...its not that long

17. For just 1 or 2 plants outdoors, I call bullshit. I grow outdoors and my 2 plants are at least 100 yds away from each other. Plus, they are small autoflowers so the only way they'd be able to pick that up on infra-red or any other system would be if they were "zoomed-in" extremely tight on this plot. I don't see it happening.

18. #18 drhell2pay, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
    Well, I worked with FLIR systems on the AC-130A and U model Gunships and I can tell you that they detect the infrared spectrum and highlight only heat differences and therefore give the illusion that they can see "through" walls which is kind of true, but not really, but for the laymen, sure it can see through walls because the walls don't really exist unless they make the entire room the same temperature as the outside (which they don't).

Anyway, if you followed that, please step inside the wonderful world of not true. IR will not detect reflections on plants, hahah. That's some funny shit.

If I were to stand on the flightline (we used to do shit like this during down time for fun) and point the FLIR at you along with the 105mm Howizter cannon, haha, I would see you because your heat is different than the air around you, I would also see nuances between differences in heat where you have thick clothing etc. In fact your sunglasses would show up as bright white or dark black (depending on if I had the color shift inverted or not) because they are a different temperature than your body heat by a significant amount, NOT because they are blocking heat.

If you were to hold a mirror up in front of you, it would simply be a different temp and If it were the exact same temperature as a piece of black paper, it would look identical on IR.

Plants would only show up differently because of heat signature alone. Not because of any reflective crap. Now if they had some sort of thermal properties that other plants did, they could theoretically show up differently on radar. From the air, vegetation through IR does look different than the ground because of temp differences, but its much harder to discern different types than if you just used your naked eye.

I've seen this first hand. A person underneath a tree will stand out like a sore thumb because of their various temps when compared to the vegetation.

Based on my extensive experience with FLIR systems during my military time, I call complete bullshit if the technology is related to FLIR or IR of any kind. Not that the OP is a bullshitter, but the information you have is not accurate for FLIR. If you're speaking of another kind of technology, I never used it and cannot speak to it intelligently with an informed opinion, but if you are referring to FLIR or IR, your post is very inaccurate.

We had a targeting system that could tell us the type of vehicle under camouflaged netting based on its distributor signal. Called Black Crow. So anything is possible.

• Like Like x 1
  19. After reading, coming up with a hypothesis then doing quite a bit of research, i have come to the conclusion that yall are wrong except for the person that called bullshit (sorry i forgot your name). Alright, first of all, marijuana plants indica and sativa do differ slightly but not enough to measure, do indeed give off a heat signature, but they do not give off a signature that is easily readible. Any plant with long stems and thin leaves give off .1-.5 AU. (marijuana, raspberries, most all bushes, fireweed ect.) plants with thick stems and thick leaves give off a higher AU. there is no way that police will swoop down in their helicopters to check out every single plant that reads the correct AU. Also, one of you stated that no plant looks like cannabis. this is very very untrue my friend. there are many many maaaany plants that look like pot, just do your research to not look like such a fucking moron next time.

20. If airports have technology to recognize objects/substances, there is technology to distinguish cannabis plants from other plants.