Heirloom seed site for fruits veggies and herbs?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Ganjagoonie, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anybody could recommend a reliable organic seed site or other source for fruit veggie and herb seeds? I know this isn't pot related I just trust the organics folks here to steer me in the right direction.

2. LumperDawgz pointed me in the direction of Horizon Herbs and they are awesome! I just put in an order for some comfrey root cuttings and some yucca, stinging nettle, and zahir poppy seeds. Those poppy's will be interesting haha.

http://www.horizonherbs.com/

Good luck.

3. Thanks that's a great one! I read that post and totally forgot about it, thanks for the reminder!

4. I would listen to just about anything LD had to say!

I have used Park Seeds and they had some interesting stuff. Not as diverse as horizon though.

5. Horizon Herbs is a good company run by good people. Excellent customer service.

6. I use Johnny's select seeds for veggies, flowers, fruits, herbs. They don't carry comfrey though

Johnny's Selected Seeds

7. Ganjagoonie

Greetings from Ory-Gun!

Here are a couple of my favorite people to do business with in Oregon.

First up is One Green World in Molalla, Oregon which is a few miles South of Portland and a bit east. Easy drive from Portland.

This guy's been around for several years and is well respected. He has fruiting trees and shrubs, nut trees, rootstock, berries, Pacific Northwest native plants, etc. His heirloom apple collection includes varieties such as Ashmead, Amere de Berthcourt (French cider apple for making Applejack, Calvedos in Bourdeaux), Cox's Orange Pippen (English), etc. over 50.

Very fair pricing as well.

And then there's Nichols Garden Nursery in Albany, Oregon and they've been around for over 60 years. Family run business and the specialize in heirloom, non-GMO, organic seeds. There is a catalog (PDF) available for download.

Just their Basil collection offers 15 varieties. About the same number of Thyme strains. They also have some 'plant only' offerings particularly in some of the sages. Their pineapple sage with some mint makes a nice drink in the summer heat.

Very nice people and helpful. Many of the people who start tomato plants, herbs, etc. for resale buy their seeds from Nichols. Very high germination rates, solid selection, etc.

HTH

LD

8. thanks for the recommendation. I'd like to add one thing I noticed goony.

if you live in an area where garden/farming is popular, find the people.

old plants= heirloom (=non-gmo) in some instances and some organic.

they often take root cuttings or branches to maintain their plants.

from P-patches to the home grown nursery, or farm and feed shops

9. Thanks everyone, I knew you would steer me right! LD, those places look great! I think I see another roadtrip to Ory-Gun on the hory-zun! I was just there in July for Toots and the Maytals, but I may have to make another trip to check out those nurseries!

10. Ganjagoonie

You'll probably find this hard to believe, but if you live west of the Cascades someone is growing blueberries near you. And these people are kinda weird. They like switching out their plants every so many years.

There are a plethora of cultivars and the PNW is a major producing region meaning the new varieties come in from Michigan, Maine, etc. and the small growers want to give them a try for whatever reasons.

Craigslist last spring had at least a dozen ads from people offering established bushes (7 - 10 years old) for free. Just give them a few days notice when you wanted to pick them up and they'd have them dug out and wrapped with burlap. There was a small charge for the burlap wrapping (highly recommended). But basically the plants were free for the taking.

You can find similar deals on cane berries (raspberries, Marionberries, Blackberries, Boysenberries, et al) - basically they are from the general trimming that you have to do so it's an unrooted cutting. Use Dip-N-Grow and don't screw with the kiddie products at the grow store. This product was developed for the Christmas tree industry in the PNW. I can almost root a Popsicle stick.

Use Craigslist for a number of other reasons - worms, worm castings, compost, etc. You can easily find organic farms that have compost for sale. Check with local garden clubs and organic farming groups for sources.

Shopping at the large organic farm supply store in Portland will make your life easy - minerals, seed meals, straight organic Sphagnum peat moss, organic rice hulls, pumice and some humus products. Some are better than others but the staff there will help you make good decisions. Very solid people.

These people are the main supply source of Canadian Glacial Rock Dust from British Columbia. It's bagged and distributed by an organic company in Canada, Gaia Green which has a product line. Not all of their products are available in the PNW but it's not a big loss really. This rock dust is less than $11.00 for 50 lbs. vs. Azomite which is $22.00 for the same amount. They will be carrying Basalt rock dust this spring which is a local product here in the PNW. The pumice that they sell is from the Klamath Basin in Southern Oregon which is one of the largest deposits of pumice in the Western USA. There's another big deposit just south of Bend (over) in Eastern Oregon. Good location for them actually.

HTH

LD

11. Thanks! I've got the worms covered, a friend of mine has some horses and took me to his aged manure pile crawling with red wigglers, I just shoveled them right up into a container and took those babies home! Compost is something I need to source until my first pile is done so I'll sniff around for a local gardening club and check on craigslist and such!

Thanks for all of that info, very informative and helpful!