Height vs wall proximity tradeoffs

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by kneath, Mar 5, 2018.

1. I'm currently designing a room, and I'm new to this whole indoor game. I understand that you want your walls to be as close as possible to reflect light back. I also know that when using LEDs (my preferred lighting method), available height can be a challenge. What I'm trying to figure out is the best tradeoff between these two to keep my room simple. I'm not looking to grow a ton of plants, just a few + a lot of my veggie garden starts/etc.

The room I'm working with has an interesting layout. It's a 9' x 15' room with two cabinet-type enclosures built into the walls starting about 4ft off the ground. One enclosure is 3' x 5' with a 32" height that I plan to use for seedlings. The other is 9' x 3' with a 48" height. I'm worried that 48" is too short, and so the only other space in the room I have is in the middle of the room (standard 8' ceilings), but that would mean the walls would be 2' - 5' away.

Any opinions on whether it would be better to use the 4' cabinet or the middle of the room? Or some other option? I feel like I don't really want to go down the tent/cabinet route due to increased ventilation complexity, but again I'm new to this, so I don't have a good feel for it. Unfortunately it's not really feasible to put them near the bottom walls in the drawing due to plumbing / existing cabinets.

2. Interesting. I think if you scrogged a plant or two in the 4' enclosure and kept up on low stress training you wouldn't have issues. The middle of the room would be easiest and for better reflection you could hang a few of those solid white shower curtains...just a thought. So much potential in that room....