Height solutions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DaleGribble, Mar 21, 2009.

1. I have a small grow cab right now until I can maybe take a large minifridge and refurbish it as a good sized grow box.
    This will be my first real grow and im just going small/easy/cheap.

I have 2 100w equiv CFLs over two plant sprouts. I need to rearrange lighting to hug the ceiling of the box better, but since they are just sprouts right now I can wait.

My question is about keeping the plants height down. I was considering LST, SCROG, and topping to keep it squat. Does anyone have a preffered method or combinations of methods to keep the plant squat? Width really isnt a problem but height is confined for now. What is the MOST I can do to keep it down and how would you recommend I go abouts doing.

I have read up on LST, scrog, and topping, I just was wondering which of these is /are most effective in keeping a plant squat.

2. i would think LST would be the best to keep it down, because in theory you could keep tying it down and you could have it never be more then a few inches high

3. thats kinda what i was thinking. but i have some nice screens just sitting around too.

4. i dont know much about using screens but from what i understand stuff still goes higher then them. also with that little of light, your guna have super small plants no matter what you do. two 23wat cfl arnt guna cut it.

5. i planned on picking the best female plant and just growing it, would that wattage be ok for 1 plant?

the rest i was thinking about transplanting outside when it gets a bit warmer

6. hi i think the general rule of thumb is 100watts for the first plant and 50 for each extra plant

7. you could prob get away with 50 watts through vegs but they will be very small. you deff need more if you want to flower em though.

8. so CFLs wattage is not the equivalent but the actual wattage used?

9. yea, so if you got a CFL thats 23watt=100watt equivalent you would only class it as a 23watt hope that makes sence lol

10. yeah it makes sense, and i kinda figured this would be true, but i didnt want it to be lol.

if i could find some socket splitters I could put in several more bulbs easily. But I cant find socket splitters anywhere. I will keep looking while my plants are still sprouts

11. best thing to do is go to homedepot. you need 2 things. a socket that plugs into an outlet and a Y splitter. screw the splitter into the socket and plug into outlet. there you go sockets for 2 more bulbs.

12. I looked at homedepot and walmart and neither had the y splitters. I have the assembly that plugs into the wall, but I think im gonna get a 4 way splitter
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1-to-4-Lamp-Soc...rk-Lamps-_W0QQitemZ170306098517QQcmdZViewItem
    so I can use just that one socket for four bulbs. That seems like the easiest way to do it since I cant find two Y splitters anyways and I wouldnt have to buy the new socket/cord/plug assembly either.

thanks man

13. #13 DaleGribble, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2009
    Just got back from walmart again and I think I have my solution. I will buy one more wire/plug/socket rig and 2 adapters that turn 1 regular socket into a vertical socket and two horizontal outlets on each side. Then I will by 4 of the adapters that turn an electrical socket into a lightbulb socket and attach 2 to each of the main trees. This means I well have an easy way to mount 6 bulbs.

it would look like this

0-|-0 0-|-0
    llll0llllllll0

with the 0 being a light bulb.

14. i am not in canada and becuase of space/heat issues i dont think id go over 6 bulbs, in fact i might just stick with one of the trees i described above to see how that works out for me since this is kinda just a trial run and yeild isnt as important as ease/learning/low cost at this point.