Height problems ?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Tnes, Apr 5, 2022.

1. So I have about a 5 foot tent with a photo in it. It’s going into the 4th week of flower, but the plant is almost touching my light. I cannot raise it anymore due to space restrictions in my tent. I also can’t top at this point without really negative affects to the plant and I don’t think LST can be done either sooooo ? Any ideas ?[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Trellis net, probably be good to spread it out anyways. Personally I'd take everything below that line off, wont be enough light that far down to matter. Dont worry about getting close to that light as long as the plant doesn't touch it shouldn't hurt it. The only real hindrance is using the blurple style light the diodes are angled whereas the plant has to be so far away in order for the light to be most effective. Getting too close to lights is for stronger ones.

Try lowering the light some next grow and raise it with the plant. If the plants stretching lower light. Light isn't too intense until plants are burned and droop away.. week 4 it should be done growing up if not its close.

If you trellis dont worry about removing below that line you'll lay it out and those parts will get light, remove everything below the trellis. Also once trained down lower light whatever the lowest recommendation is for flower from manufacturer

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  3. High stress training...supercropping....is what I'd do. Crush the stems a couple of feet down, bend her over, and lower your light. If you crush it enough it won't break off (75% of the time) and if it does so what, you can't grow it like it is anyway. Give it a good crush and if it's too tough to crush with your fingers you can use a tool. I've had good luck putting surgical tubing on the business ends of a pair of needle nose pliers to crush stems without the pliers cutting them. After you bend it over you'll probably need to tie it down because it'll try to stand back up. I've bent main colas over many times and only broken off a couple. If it's too fragile and floppy after you bend it you can wrap it with tape like a cast. Maybe for the next grow in that tent you could train them better from early on, maybe even flip at 3 weeks before they get so tall. Also you need enough light to control their stretch so next time keep your light as close as possible or get a more powerful light and get a taller tent while you're at it. You've done a good job keeping your canopy height even.

Research supercropping for pointers.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I wouldn't recommend that half way through flower, especially to someone who's never super cropped eh that's me tho. If you do super crop just use the trellis as support vs holding them down. You could add a second to hold them down evenly. Again tho let's be honest it's a blurple light your plants may not even burn touching it

5. You make good points but his plant hasn't even started it's flowering stretch yet which mean it may still grow another 10-25% in height. I think if I was using that tent, next time I'd choose a straight Indica. That one looks to me to be a hybrid judging by the number of leaflets on the leaves and their width. I've bent main colas over that were well developed and they grew just fine even though they made the shape of the cola look odd. Still, supercropping is drastic and if putting a trellis over it would work, it would be a better choice if there's enough room. It looks like the plant is almost touching the light now.

6. How do you figure unless you grow weed that stretches week 4, they are in week 4 being stretching mainly occurs during week 3 that plant has already stretched or is close to being done

7. Okay. I guess the fan leaves being taller than the bud sites thru me off. I do see the alternating bud sites and crooked stems characteristic of stretch. Going by the op, I was assuming there was no more room available. Are you saying putting a trellis net over the plant will prevent it from growing taller so it wouldn't need more room or the net would bend the tops over which gives it more room?

8. Bend tops over

9. Honestly you probably could top it and it would still be a good plant. Looks like a very stretchy girl. Ive topped stretchy girls 3 weeks into flower and got awesome flowers off them. Otherwise, supercropping is the only real option (pinch/crush the stems and bend them over). Or a taller tent. I bought the "Covert" brand tent specifically because they are like 6'' taller than all the other 5x5 tents and it fits my grow space perfectly.

super-cropping-infographic-300x217.gif Supercrop-Cannabis-Cover.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. I have never supercropped I’ve only grown autos, this is my first photo plant so I wasn’t sure how to go about it. I also didn’t do any lst or hst anywhere near this late with the autos but . The stretch is over tho like you said. I’m almost in week 5 so it’s definitely not getting taller

• Like Like x 1
  11. I’ll most likely end up using the nets, I made smoke make shift ones for the time being that are working well until I can get some

• Like Like x 1
  12. Super cropping is much easier and quicker with less hassle than tying everything down. Just a little tricky at first. Or alot tricky just depends how it goes. Lol just know as long as limb doesn't sever completely some tape and support it'll usually heal.

13. I’ve done a lot of research into super cropping an how if its done right it’ll make the knuckle form where it’s broke and you’re supposed to go like 3 sets of leaves or so down. I’m just not sure because it’s not even the main cola that’s the tallest it’s the side ones that are touching it an or almost touching it. So do I super crop each one or just the tallest one touching it ?

14. I'll just do the tallest ones. Main cola then as they grow past. I'll only break them if necessary tho. If you pinch and twist the newer growth it wont break most times. Itll just lay over working its way back towards the light. Repeating the process every other to 3 days. Personally I would only super crop a lower thick branch for height restrictions. However much stress you cause the plant has to heal. So if you're constantly breaking the tallest growth prepare for a longer veg.