Height for `1000w Gavita

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jimihendrix42, Nov 23, 2017.

1. I know Gavita recommends 3 feet from the top of the canopy.

Anyone else run them closer?? A lot closer ??

• Like Like x 1
  2. If you don't have the room, get a different light

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. I never said I didnt have the height.:confused_2:

Ive got 10ft ceilings. I run 1000w Hortilux 14 -18 inches from the canopy.

I'm just wondering if anyone runs them closer than recommended.

4. I run 6 x 1150 Gavita in 7 feet ceiling but i did need to lower all my pots. And it runs fine

• Informative Informative x 2

5. Whats the height above the canopy ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. I got it down to 3.6 feet from the top of the netting. But this is one light one plant

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. So youre still the recommended distance from the top of the canopy at 1150w.

I was wondering about running them 24-28 inches from the top, and/or possibly turning them down to 750w-825w. My buddy has 7ft ceilings, and 1 foot tall containers which leaves 6 feet. Put 3 more feet for Gavita recommendations, and you have 3 feet. He grows 4-5 foot tall plants, that are this tall after being Bent/Trained, with a 1000w Hortilux HPS, and can get the bulbs 18 inches, or closer. Up to 2lbs per light. 20 gallon container/Promix BX.

I wonder if at 750w-825 if the Gavita at 24 inches, still puts out more Photons vs a 1000w Hortilux, at 18 inches. I believe the 1000w Hortilux HPS is around 1700 PAR vs 2100 for Gavita/Phillips 1000w DE bulb.

8. This picture is a very old northern light that i have been growing for well over 20 years. But not under these lights and it will take a few grows for it to shop the small amount of bleaching on the top of the buds. And these plants will go 2 and half to 3 lbs each. Nearly all the strains well take a few grows the adapt to the lights DSC02204.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  9. hey buddy just switched from autos to photos, how long are you vegging them to pull those kind of weights?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. I would veg for 4 to 4 and half weeks these ones will 4.3 weeks now. A lot depends on the strain

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. [​IMG]
    ahh ive confused myself with your funny imperial weighing lol. you just train yours different from me so theyre much much bigger in size. looks it anyway. this my current one planted 14/12. flipped for 3 days in this pic but was taken was on sunday i think.
    aiming for 800g so think im on the right track. i used 270w for a couple weeks then up to 540w and up again to 810w just before i flipped her.
    im of the impression that less is more to start with untill theyre a bit bigger. do you find they grow better getting more light from day 1? only my third grow so still pretty wary about hitting em too hard too soon. i even start em under a 130w cfl cos i no matter what i do i cant get a healthy seedling under the 270. wasted 15 seeds practicing under my spare light after fucking my first grow up lol. blurples i use by the way. still cant believe you do that in soil like. and the other guy up there. had no idea that was possible. ive never seen anythin like it unless done in hydro.

12. That’s a nice looking plant I use coco not soil. I start mine off with 400 hps and run all the way few veg. So I use a total 3x400 for my 6 plants. If im growing big plants I keep the light up off the plant to make it reach. When I go to flower I start off at 800 watts for 3 weeks then I will go to the full 1150 watts.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ahh see im the opposite. i keep the lights low to keep the plant shorter to grow them vertically. wont be able to do that next run though so think it’ll have to be wild tree formation woth some sort of bulbed light. have you done soil before? i always thought coco was better for yield but after seeing those guys it clearly doesnt make a difference. i would like to know wich of the 2 media is more stable regarding ph and ability to hold the balance of nutrients. avoid lockouts, toxicities etc. mrs gonna be mostly in charge of my next grow so gotta keep it as simple as possible while still pulling at least a half klick per plant.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I have a couple of big days had to put my hole room completely apart. And it’s been so god dam hot here.

• Like Like x 1
  15. If you choose to do so Bro, make sure you have adequate air flow moving across that top area of canopy or your tops will foxtail and come out Larfy. Good test, wear a black glove and place your hand where the tops are. Is your hand uncomfortably hot or warm? Move the lights up. If not, don’t...

• Like Like x 2
  16. ahhh is that what causes foxtailin. never had it bit see folk moanin about it all the time. its a heat issue? never seen anyone actually explain why it happens.

17. I have been growing for well over 25 years

18. Ive been growing since 1972. Since 1978 with HID.

I remember the 1st HID offered from High Times.

It was a bulb used by the Navy for growing food in subs, was very fragile, and they wouldn't Warranty it in shipping, because they were so easily damaged, so it was take your chances.

Then a few months after that they came out with the SUPERNOVA,,,,, Metal Halide, and the Octogarden. Ive been doing it ever since, except when I spent almost 7 years in Federal Prison, for 1000 clones my partner ratted me out on.

But I know all about air flow, as I can get a 1000w Hortilux HPS 18 inches from the canopy. I have very good air flow, and also keep the air moving, and fans on during lights out. Air Flow is vitally important.

No way can the plants we have take the light any closer than 36 inches. Tried it, and in 2 days they showed some light stress, so put them back to 38 nches, and they responded.

Gavita is WAY HOTTER vs HPS, and is WAY BRIGHTER

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yes spot on mine are 38 inch. I fucked up before and the port reply by accident. I was going to say that I have finded that foxtails are from your room get to cold when your lights are out. That is a long time growing and a great story

• Like Like x 1
  20. Aha great was looking for a topic like this
    Was recently given two of the below lights Anyone have any input on e papillon 1000w Philips bulbs was thinking of running x2 in flower probably at 815w in 8fx7f room
    Sure gavita are probably better but was told the design on the shade on my paps would release heat better compared to the gavita so chose the epaps over the gavita due to my grow space
    Hope I made the right choice
    Stedz

• Like Like x 1