Height at which to start LST?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by 96Spec Ek, Mar 1, 2006.

1. I have one plant right now and its about 14" tall. Can I start this now or is it to late? This is my first successful grow and I dont want to fuck it up.:smoke:

2. LOL you could have started at the 4 or 5th leaf set..

3. Its only on its 6th set of branches and I think I should have topped it cause it is very tall and has no bushyness. Thats why I wanna try this now.

4. As an Elder in the grow room journals reminded me, there is no real window of oportunity for LST, it can be started whenever but it isn't good to start it a week before flowering. The link is a pic of me starting LST on my first bagseed grow. I used yarn and a rubber band around the pot to hold it tight but eventually just got binder clips to hold the yarn.

Anyway, you want to loop the first string around the base so it is tight but not pulling the plant. If you just pull the plant over and tie it down, it can put stress on the roots so you provide support to isolate the stress tension with the first base string. You then bend the plant over in the opposite direction, alittle at first if the trunk is too thick or you are too nervous :eek: and then pull it down another inch or so the next day and so on. Hope this makes sense hehe and good luck. I have seen the advantage to it, more light on the stem makes more branches. Search for a post by Vokal, his enthusiam about it is contagious and I learned from his journals and tutorial. Good Luck!

http://forum.grasscity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21800&d=1102292806

5. Good info!!!!:smoking: Exactly the answer I was looking for.:DThanks Lucian

6. WEll sounds like you let the plant stretch to death.. only 6 set of leaves and 14 inches tall means you have about 1 1/2 to 2 inches between nodes.

What light are you using and how far away was the light from the plant?

7. Im new to growing what do you guys mean by LST(topping)?

8. LST = Low Stress Training.

Low - stress training ( LST) is used when height must be kept at a minimum. The marijuana plant is trained to lie over on its side at an early age, with each successive stem trained in the same fashion. This method produces a low-lying, luxurious plant, with increased bud production due to the light reaching into the sides of the plant as well as the top.

source: http://www.marijuana-seeds.net/Indoor-Marijuana-Growing-Vertical-or-Horizontal-.html

Google is a great resource for growing marijuana. :)

9. The light has been within one inch of the top if not touching the top at all times. The light Im use is a GE Gro and Show fluorescent gro light.

10. maybe it's not enough lumens..how many watts is the light?

11. It uses 20 watts and something about 750 lumens. It also gives off red and blue to help promote growth.

12. Ok I just got it setup with binder clips and yarn at a 45 degree angle for now till it feels like it will bend more (1-2 days) Now with the lighting, I have a 24" fluorescent light, how should I position it. Right now the light is hangin from a shelf above by two small ropes. :smoke:

13. bump for some lighting info

14. I would have to say that is not enough light. For comparison my 400watt HPS puts out around 50,000 lumens. Even a single 150watt HPS bulb puts out over 15,000. Keep up with the LST (it works very well) and add some more light and you should be good to go.

15. here's how to handle a lanky beggar chaosmonger style. straight from the off!!
    BTW that lamp you are using......get another two. you want at least 120 watts of fluro at 3k/3.5k lumens a strip

Attached Files:

16. Optimally, you want to get 100w per plant for light...not what it compares to but the watts it really uses. Real 100w fluros cost alot but you can get 50w ones for like $8 at Walmart so you would want two. 'Lights of America' is the brand. I use one for sprouting.

Edit: Damn it's busy in here...didn't see these posts...Chaos' answer is better.

17. Yes Im going to a hydroponics store tomorrow to check out some lights. A couple of the fan leaves started to turn brown but everything else looks good, the branches are stretching toward the light.

My next question is what brand of fertilizer are you guys using cause I cant find anything with a 20-10-10 combination. Maybe the hydroponics store here will have the fertilizer I need but any suggestions are welcome:smoking:

18. Guano...it mixes nice with water too. Search for Guano on Ebay and see how little it costs so you know if your hydro store is really ripping you off as some do.