HEELLLLP!!!! wHITE BUGS IN SOIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Theghost25, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Hey guys im new to growing and my seedling just grew about an inch but when i was observing my plant i saw little white bugs crawling around in my soil on top and inside!!!!!
    ARE THEY HARMELESS???
    iF THEY ARE HOW DO YOU GET RID OF THEM???
    pLEASE HELP!!!
    I ALSO HAVE PICTURES OF THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. try some malathion mix it like the bottle directs then pour though soil
    that should take care of them it looks like a aphid or termite
    good luck

p.s. if they are not killed they will kill your plant

3. Dont resort to the big-guns until things get out of hand. they should never get out of hand with proper preventative maintenence.

Lay down a 1/4 to 3/8 inch layer of sand on top of the soil, making sure to cover everywhere, especially the stalk base. It will smother them within 3 dayz. Their little decomposing bodies will end up being good organic nutes for the plant.

No chemicals needed. Are there any small flying insects in the air ???

Now, once that is cleared up, go and get a bottle of NEEM oil spray, to establish some sorta preventative maintenance program.

Your plant will thank u.

Freak
    :smoking:

4. sand will not stop this i know because i had the same problem
    use sand and watch the plants get worst and maybe die

good luck

5. Man, youre out to lunch. u musta fucked up somethin !!!

If u like, I'll send u a reference list of former "patients" who will back this up bro.

Freak
    ;)

6. ok man what ever you say your the one with the sticky not me
    but i know that works you can tell people what ever you want
    i will leave this thread

p.s. i hope this works but never mind

7. Toodloo :wave:

OP, sorry to confront on yer thread, but someones gotta do it.
    Please do what I advised. Id hate to see ya put heavy duty Malathion
    on your little sprout.

Freak
    :smoking:

8. Sorry that i responded so late but all i do is put sand on top of the soil??????
    Do i take the sand out after????
    please more directions!!!!

9. You want to cover the entire top layer of the soil with sand, make sure you compact it too. If its living in the soil, its most likely planting its eggs in the top 1-2 inches of the soil, thats why you're covering it with sand. After a couple days, wash the sand out and repeat if nessessary.

Like Freakbro said, don't resort to the big guns or chemicals until its absolutely nessessary.

10. i will stay tuned in let me know if that works because i had the same problem
    and i would like to know if sand will work please keep us posted

thanks good luck

11. Don't over react. Lots of store bought soil will have little white bugs that kind of bounce or jump around. They like to come out when you water heavily. Use an insecicidal soap first. See what happens after 4 days. If same or worse try boiling some tobacco (2-4 cigs worth) in a few cups water and then (after letting it cool to room temp) water your plants. Never had to do anything more. A lot of times the problem goes away slowly just using the insect soap

12. I've also had success with the sand method as prevention

13. I've heard of the tobacco method as a viable method of pest control, but i've only heard it used as a foliar app, never when watering.

14. Ive just put a thin layer of sand over it so now i wait a couple days???
    Can i still water it or no???

15. Since i only have two plants growing right now i just dont want them to die since its my first grow you know what i mean.

16. I would've watered before i put the layer of sand on, but I don't think it'll matter if you water with it on.

17. so what happened with the bugs

18. After two years?

They're probably dead regardless.

19. Hey man I have this same problem only my bugs are white but smaller. thinking its aphids, there are a few small flying insects in the air.

I heard this does rapid permanent damage, Im currently making my own tobacco tea with tobacco I use to make my own cigs (less chemicals than store brand smokes). I've only heard of this being useful for foliage misting, can I spray the crud out of the top 1-2 inches of soil to kill eggs?

Or can I mix the tobacco tea with my watering schedule? I'm afraid any sand I buy this time of year wont as sterile as I need it. Dont wanna do sand afraid of choking my babies