Heavy vs. light glass?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by darthawesome, Jan 18, 2014.

1. #1 darthawesome, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
    My friend just got a new bong and the guy who sold it to her told her that if the a piece is light it means it has nicer glass than a heavy piece.

Also, I was showing my friend my bowl once and he held it to see if it was heavy (which it is) and said he judges pieces by their weight but that heavier pieces are better.

So is lighter or heavier glass nicer?

2. I like my glass the way I like my women, THICK ! If not my bong would have broken on new years but thankfully it didn't ! Also I hear a lot of people associate thin glass with low quality (at least that's how it is around here)

3. Lighter pieces - thinner glass - which means less durable and more possibility of it getting broke when bumped, sat down too hard etc.
    Heavier pieces - thicker glass - more durable, won't crack if you slam it by accident or bump into something.

Usually china glass (mass manufactured) is thin, but cheaper and then the more expensive pieces or handblown by artists are thicker.

4. But just because glass is thick doesn't mean its durable. If the piece isn't annealed then it could have leftover stress from being made and could break relatively easily.

Sent from my MB886 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #5 irish_texan, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
    [quote name="darthawesome" post="19363740" timestamp="1390068513"]My friend just got a new bong and the guy who sold it to her told her that if the a piece is light it means it has nicer glass than a heavy piece.Also, I was showing my friend my bowl once and he held it to see if it was heavy (which it is) and said he judges pieces by their weight but that heavier pieces are better.So is lighter or heavier glass nicer?[/quote]Yeah... It sounds like he ripped her off. Heavier is better because thicker is better and heavier is thicker.