Heavy heavy metal anyone?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by MagicalJM, Oct 9, 2008.

1. I see a lot of people listen to reggae and rap while high, and honestly that's fair enough right? It's mellow music, easy listening, nice to chill to after smoking.

But anyone here listen to metal much? I'm a total metalhead when I'm sober and I absolutely LOVE getting lost into some intense thrashy riffs and some guttral vocals and stuff.

That being said, there's all the weird sludgey metal like Down and White Zombie which is very nice on the brain when you're out of it XD

Bands I like and reccomend:

1. Classic metal bands (Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath etc.)
    2. Down
    3. Scars on Broadway
    4. SOAD
    5. Serj Tankian (last three are all very up and down, system and their side projects heh)
    6. Trivium (only because I love them)
    7. Scar Symmetry (Awesome swedish melodic death metal band, AMAZING singer/screamer)
    8. Opeth (If you know them you'll know why they're great, if you don't, look them up)
    9. ALESTORM (Very little known band, 3 words, SCOTTISH PIRATE METAL)
    Yeah, just a quick list. Look up at your own free will.

Though, Metal head or not, please check out Alestorm. They're very local to scotland and have only just out out an album. Support them ^_^. Even if you don't like metal they're pretty fun to listen to.

Anyone else? Opinions, bands, etc.

2. I used to be a real metalhead and i was into nile and slayer and all that. But then i started smoking weed and now i listen to chill music. The only metal bands i still listen to are tool and mastodon but im starting to find more metal made for stoners so i am kinda getting into it again. Ive gone from metal to hip hop to reggae and the only genre i have allways listened to is classic rock like zeppelin and the doors.

3. oh yeah and SOAD is pretty good too.

4. yeah man i hear ya, metal is the shit when your blazed, especially when your blasting it :smoking:
    im sure if you listen to metal you've probably heard of these bands, but if not you should check them out, there some of the ones i listen to

Baroness
    Isis
    Ephel Duath
    Mastodon
    Opeth,
    Meshuggah
    Nile
    Pelican
    Neurosis
    Rosetta
    Sunn
    Yakuza

5. I'm actually big into music in general. Some of my favorite metal bands probably influenced the way I am today. Most notably Down and Metallica.

small little list of what i enjoy while smoking, hanging, drinking etc. : Down, Metallica, Black Sabbath (Dio and Ozzy), Iced Earth, All That Remains, Megadeth, Devildriver, Lamb of God, Gwar, Exodus, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest (of course), Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, Tool, Queensryche, Trivium, Motley Crue, Hatebreed.

I could list about 300 bands easily, but that should just give you a slim idea of what i listen to on a daily basis. On a side note, Iced Earth played an amazing show 2 weeks ago in D.C., on a cold rainy night, only half full, i felt bad for Barlows return but they played absolutely amazing. Sounds exactly like on CD. Jon Schaffer is a music genius.

6. #7 eldude-arino, Oct 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2008
    some of my fave metal:

-MetallicA
    -Down/PanterA
    -Slayer
    -Lamb of God
    -Megadeath
    -Dragonforce (glam/epic metal)

I STRONGLY URGE you to check out these local Indiana metal bands

-Signs of Decay (metal/thrash) MY FAVORITE Indy metal band...
    if you listen to any of these bands and any of their songs, you must listen to Shadow Within by SoD

-Demiricous (metal/death metal)

-WHISKEY TITS (southern rock/garage/metal)

-Devil to Pay (stoner rock/southern rock/metal) my uncle's band

-OFF BALANCE (hardcore/punk/metal-influence) I'm the gain vocals on a couple of cuts

7. #8 .AcidTrip., Oct 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2008
    Heavy Heavy metal? haha dude that not heavy and opeth aint heavy bro need heavy listen to meshuggah,gojira,mistaken element,all shall perish.. now thats heavy

Loads of respect for being a metal head ;)

8. ^--- that @ me?

9. lots of those bands are pretty trippy!! except nile, theyre just fuckin monsters lol but rosettas the shit!!space metal/ambient music ftw!! anyone know where i could get mt hands on their work? theyre fairly off the map

10. I'm a lover of almost every type of music out there, but Metal is my passion. Particularly Death Metal. I used to listen to a lot of Nu-metal and shit like that, that would air on the radio or MTV, but I kinda fell out of that shit. I still listen to some songs by certain bands I used to listen to though.

I used to listen to bands like: (in no order)
    Mushroomhead
    Mudvayne
    KoRn
    Motograter
    Disturbed
    System of a Down
    Fear Factory
    Metallica
    Rammstein

Now I listen to bands more like: (in no order)
    Nile
    Vader
    Blood Red Throne
    Bloodbath
    Amon Amarth
    Cannibal Corpse
    Finntroll
    Sotajumala
    Behemoth
    Gorgoroth
    Satyricon

I still listen to songs from the bands in the first list once in a while, but I wouldn't class those bands as my favorite bands now. they were back in high school.

There's still a shit-ton of other types of metal I listen to but I can sit here all night giving a list of it all. I'm currently trying to find some good stoner metal. I use pandora.com sometimes, and some of the stoner metal there is pretty cool, but I think my favorite stoner band is actually more Stoner Rock than anything else. They're called Monster Magnet. And I've been listening to these guys for a LONG time now. Since before I started smoking weed. Here's one of my favorite songs by them in a user-made music vid on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf49V2yB3Z4

I highly recommend getting blazed before listening to this song! :smoking:
    Let me know what ya think! :wave:

11. Dont forget Lamb of God or Children of Bodom! Haha.
    I love a lot of mix hardcore/electronica as well, like Sky Eats Airplane, they're called 'Electronicore' haha.
    Keep up the head bangin'! :smoke:

12. Not You eldude.

13. Listening to White Zombie now. I still like these guys a lot, even if my taste in metal is more brutal, these guys just have something about them. I been thinking about trying acid some time, broaden my horizons. If I was to listen to any metal on acid it would be White Zombie.

14. You should check out Genghis Tron if you havent heard them already : o

15. Opeth are one of my all time favorite metal bands.
    Lately the only metal I've been listening to is southern lord shit: lots of Sunn O))), lots of Boris, Wolves in the Throne Room, Orthodox (fucking love them) and also Earth, Isis, Mayhem, and Opeth's Watershed.

And yeah, Genghis Tron kick ass.

16. White Chapel
    SOAD (The early stuff with a few exceptions)
    Pantera
    Avenged X7 (Again the early stuff)
    CoB
    The Chariot
    Drawgon Foarce (dragonforce)
    He is Legend (Has some pretty heavy stuff in some songs)
    Iced Earth
    NightRage
    Vanna
    The Legion of Doom
    Sky Eats Airplane
    Don't really like Lamb of God but they did form in my city.

17. You guys should check out Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects; it's the side project of Meshuggah's guitarist/composer. If you guys are into mathamatically calculated metal with HEAVY african drum and indian influences, along with jazz fusion elements, check it out. You won't be disappointed.

18. Opeth
    Gojira
    Metallica (their old stuff, not the shitty-sounding stuff their putting out now.)
    Meshuggah
    In Flames

These are pretty much the main metal bands on my playlist. Opeth and Gojira are my favorites, nothing beats progressive metal when your stoned. Metallica and Meshuggah do come close though, but I find Meshuggah too thrashy sometimes... really kills my high. Metallica I can enjoy all night, though. Kill 'em All at full-blast really brings back some great childhood Metallica memories, so I guess that's why I love it so much. In Flames is great as well, but when I'm high I typically blast the other four.

19. I watched all the videos before while cheesing, i mean tripping. It was pretty funny. He has to be one of my favorite performers.