Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Heavier blades out there - Black mucus from just MJ?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Veough24, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Like the title says GC lately I've been coughing up black mucus more and more and it's starting to really worry me.

It comes up whenever I clear my throat of congestion, keep in mind I don't smoke ciggs and I've got a SG Stemline to 8 Arm bong so it can't be what I'm hitting. Nothing wrong with the buds either. It's been bothering me for awhile now but since I got a cold about a week ago it's gotten a lot worse. Basically whenever I smoke I have to cough it up.

I've smoked 3 or more bowls daily for over a year now probably, but I've only smoked for about 2 years total.

Any and all help is greatly appreciate and will heavily ease my mind. Thanks in advance.

2. only time in the past i coughed up stuff like that i was smoking way more than that, so that is weird

3. You realize you are inhaling smoke, right? Smoke is a black ash. That black ash collects and makes that black shit your spiting up.
    Its like eating too many oranges and when you throw up, your suprised its orange.

4. That never happened to me even when I stopped smoking cigs.

5. I've smoked stoges (cigs) for a long time and I'm just starting to get a wheeze and cough up brown mucus in the mornings. You don't smoke tobacco, right OP?

6. I've smoked a gram a day for like 2 years and I rarely even cough up phlegm...when I do it's never discolored though.

7. No I don't smoke tobacco at all. Only ganja. I can understand the whole 'tar in your lungs' forming similarly to resin in your pipes, but really, even from blazing with Sovereignty peyote pillars, etc?

8. smoke weed and cigs, i get phlem, but never so bad that im coughing it up.... and its not black either.

maybe you have a cold? and its black because of the smoke.

9. I have had a cold that is definitely true. Still might. Could that really cause such noticeable discoloration just from the smoke though? I just want to make sure I'm not coughing up dead lung matter. :(

10. when i smoke a llot of weed i have greenish phlegm, its cool. my friend has this weird whitish yellow tint phlegm i think phlegms cool and frankly i like sayin it.

11. ive heard about this before. two of my friends have coughed up black mucus before.
    one of them wasn't even a heavy mj smoker (he doesn't smoke anything else). though none of them had it for a period of time, just once.
    go to a doctor. trust me. i mean coughing up black shit once and coughing it up all the time is a big difference

12. I've smoked everyday for about 5 years, and i've never once coughed up black mucus. You should maybe get that checked out. Doesn't seem normal to me.

13. I don't smoke cigs and cough up blackish phlegm everyday at lease once.
    I smoke about 2+ grams a day all out of a bong.

It comes from smoking from a bong people, I think that a bong toke has WAY more moister in it then normal air as well as smoke and you/I inhale it as deep as I can where do you think that moister is going?

14. ive been smoking a gram or two everyday for the past two years and i cough up some black phlegm here and there, if i put effort into coughing up some phlegm, my girlfriend who smokes just as much coughs up black phlegm sometimes too.. you could prolly scrape your lungs for resin and get high :D , smoke sticks to our lungs and throats the same as it sticks to your bong stem, your fine as long as you aint smokin baccy, a little weed resin never killed neone

15. you might have a sinus infection and post nasal drip. Go out and buy a Netti Pot see if a buncha nasty mucous comes out.

Or you have some fucked up lungs. I know for me I have post nasal drip and I gotta use a netti pot in the morning to keep my sinuses clean. If I skip for a week or so i hack up yellow/brown/green mucous depending on whatever.

Smoking causes brown phlegm too sometimes if im hittin the blunt too much (which is why I nvr smoke blunts :))

16. +rep

netti pot works wonders, most infections thrive in mucous. If you don't smoke tobacco im more than willing to bet you have some sort of infection because it seems like the general consensus is that black phlegm would not be related to smoking weed...

Either way it's something to worry about, i'd go to a doctor. Black phlegm can never mean anything good

17. Didn't read replies so sorry if someone said this,

Marijuana is a broncodialator(wrong word?) I believe, which means that the cells in your throat will push the tar and such out and into your mucus, which is why if you smoke a pretty good amount you can usually find some black tar stuff in your spit, especially if you hack a loogie or whatever and get it from deep in your throat, you'll find that black shit. This is basically the opposite of when you smoke a cig, as the cells and such in your throat won't force the tar out it'll just let it absorb. So what I'm getting at is spitting up the black shit is a good thing, if you spit it out it's not in you anymore!! Hurray marijuana, and your amazing healthiness.

18. I used to get this from time to time but mostly from my job I was working at the time, lots of debris and dust particles in the air, but honestly I don't think it's an infection, mucus from infections is green/yellow not black.

19. Quick question, is there ever any blood mixed in? If so might be blood clots forming.

20. This happened to me before, I would sneeze and my boogers were black.

Scared me, till I looked down and saw my shirt was black, and when I ruffled it black specks of cloth would fly off and I would inhale it and they would get caught in my boogers :D

So, step 1, is your shirt or clothes black XD?