Heaven is a fairy tale, says British physicist Stephen Hawking

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Phamas, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heaven in the traditional sense is a fairy tale according to the bible as well, "The living are aware they will die but as for the dead they are conscious of nothing at all...the remembrance of them has been forgotten" (Ecclesiastes 9:5)

do we really need stephen hawkings on the issue?

2. I don't care how smart he is, or what credentials he has. Heaven could be real, it could be fake. I'm leaning towards the fake side, but he doesn't know if there is one of not.

3. It's fake!?

[​IMG]

4. So, you're saying a bunch of humans just made that shit up?

Nah, that doesn't add up; why would they do that?

On a side note, though. I think heaven in the traditional sense is obviously false, but I feel like it's very possible that there is something more than just death.

I think everyone that wants to argue this should just kill themselves.

Not out of animosity; just so that they can get some real proof.

Seriously though, why is Stephen Hawking talking about this?

5. because life sucks. people believe what they want to believe. not only is there a demand for it, but there's profit to be made from religion. for example, the roman catholic church in the 1500s had a system called indulgences. you could buy a piece of paper saying that the pope forgave your sins and you can get into heaven. even today the church rakes in a ton of money.

Because a huge amount of people believe it and it's bullshit.

6. Stephen Hawking is talking about this because he's trying to goad theologians and philosophers to at least try to integrate the findings of quantum physics into their fields.

7. Hawking is a relativist and not a huge proponent of quantum mechanics.

8. your probably right, I just sort of said that. But I remember another interview where he said "philosophy is dead" and what I think he's getting at, is the two fields are in a different age comparing to where science is. But I thank you for helping me out.

9. Power.

10. Yeahh no shit.

Lol but really thx for the read

11. Stephen Hawking has done what most irreligious people have done and weighed up the evidence for and against heaven (religion) and come to the same conclusion that every right-minded logical person who's examined it objectively has come to:

The odds are good enough that religion is a fairytale for us to live our lives as we want to live them without fear of being judged when we die.

12. /thread

13. He is still a person like you and me, so he still doesn't "know anymore than the rest of us".

14. ^ Agreed. That's why I very carefully worded my post.

15. Without proof in any way that Heaven or God exists, Hawking doesn't have to prove that Heaven is fake. It is up to the believers to supply evidence that it exists, which they haven't been able to do for more than 2000 years. . .

16. Funny what you can figure out when you just use your brain:eek:

17. I truly believe in faith, for it is one man's choice to believe in what will happen to him when he dies. To Each Their Own is what i think when it comes to religion and one should not prove others wrong, just cause their all beliefs.

<I BELIEVE IN PEACE>
    :smoke:Man Im High:smoke:

18. as in, it makes the world
    appear to be a lot fairer
    than real life real is;
    right?

19. I might agree with you were religion a benign set of beliefs like that of fairies or UFOs, but it's far from it. It is oppressive, divisive and, when it comes to such things as banning condoms in AID's ridden Africa, it's down right inhumane and dangerous. It has directly and indirectly caused millions upon millions of deaths over the millenia in wars, pogroms and persecutions.

Religion is an archaic system that should have no place in modern society. Leaders can bend and twist religion to fit modern times all they like, but it is essentially still a belief in centuries old works of fiction, without a shred of evidence, that adults brainwash their charges, through upbringing and education, into believing.

I couldn't have more contempt for such a system and I pity anybody who allows it to control their lives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.