heaven and hell are real!

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Dr Jammin, Nov 3, 2003.

1. ok, you know how they say when you die, your brain stays active for like 15 minutes or something? and people have theories that perhaps you and you have a dream during that period, because its similar to rem sleep. i think that what happens is, time slows down for you, so that 15 minutes seems like an eternity and just never stops.

also, you know how they say people on their death beds never lie? i think its because when you're about to die, you lose capacity to do anything dishonest or wrong. i think that people who are about to die look back on their lives and are objective and honest with themselves and they begin to think whether or not they lived a righteous life.

i think if you look back on your life and you earnestly feel good about the way you lived it, you will die content and serene and you will have an endless beautiful dream, and if you look back on your life and you can't escape your own guilt, you will have a nervous, uneasy dream that will also go on for what seems like forever.

doesnt that make sense? couldn't that be a psuedo-scientific definition of heaven and hell? i think that throughout history, primitive religious and legendary beliefs have been often rooted in facts, and humans just know them through instinct. sort of like the way native american ceremonial things sometimes actually did have practical use. maybe humans came up with the idea of heaven and hell this way, just a spiritual definiton for something that was scientifically true.

please tell me what you think.

2. I really like your ideas but time is necesarry for human thought to work. It is a process that takes time and if our perception of it can become skewed like that so could our thoughts. But more importantly; even if it does slow down an eternity can't last within a frame of time. I see what you're saying but I just don't think our perception works like that. Since ultimately thought is a physical, tangible process it will come to an end.

3. That sort of reminds me of a short story I read by Stephen King called "The Jaunt"....

Humans found a way to teleport, but you had to be asleep to do it, because for some reason a human mind in a jaunt seemed to be all alone with *just* your thoughts for eternity. Anyone who "jaunted" while awake would find themselves where they were teleporting to on the verge of death (because their mind "lived" for eons all alone with itself) or merely insane. Almost like limbo that really only lasted for a few seconds but to the mind seemed like eternity.

Kind of interesting.

4. I read that when I was younger, I spent a lot of nights thinking of ways to pass the time if I'm ever stuck in some sort of infinity or purgatory.

5. Nice theory.
    I think that whatever you believe will happen upon death will happen. If you think Grandma & Daddy will be there to greet you, then they will.

If you think only Southern Baptists go to heaven, then the heaven you go to will only have SoB's.

You know how you can change a dream while you are dreaming? The same thing in eternity. Thinking is reality.
    If you want something to be there, it will be. With just a thought. Time and space are not relative after life.

Teleporting sounds like Astral Projection or
    Out Of Body Experiences. I think some of the catatonic people in institutions are those who could not reconnect with their physical body after an episode of A.P.

Maybe not.
    ot

6. Jacobs Ladder...

man I understand that film completely now since i read this thread!

thankyou!!!!

7. woah i had forgotten about this thread. good thoughts, all.

8. okay, but what if you died in a trash compactor and your brain is no more?

9. LoL.. Death by trash compactor.

Chances are your mental projection of your physical self would resemble a pancake. :rolleyes:

10. LoL, good point actually. But maybe since the brain is just a "vessel" for the spirit, the spirit could still experience that 15 minutes or whatever.

11. When you die (naturally) the process of your nerves shutting down is extremely painful, so your body puts a chemical into your body that is very similar to lsd, this is why people have such crazy visions before they die and also why they cant lie(I think)

Peace

12. Crazy.. Is it possible to extract this chemical? It would be like a truth potion but with trippy side effects.

13. hah.! ^ i think it's called alcohol!!

14. Alcohol is what I like to call "the numbing of the mind" ;)

15. Heaven and Hell = The light side vs the dark side = good vs evil

This is the only thing repeated throughout human history.

Quotations from star wars

PALPATINE: Remember back to your early teachings. Anakin. "All those who gain power are afraid to lose it." Even the Jedi.

ANAKIN: The Jedi use their power for good.

PALPATINE: Good is a point of view, Anakin. And the Jedi point of view is not the only valid one. The Dark Lords of the Sith believe in security and justice also, yet they are considered by the Jedi to be. . .

ANAKIN: . . . evil.

PALPATINE: . . . from a Jedi's point of view. The Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power. The difference between the two is the Sith are not afraid of the dark side of the Force. That is why they are more powerful.

ANAKIN: The Sith rely on their passion for their strength. They think inward, only about themselves.

PALPATINE: And the Jedi don't?

ANAKIN: The Jedi are selfless . . . they only care about others.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone falls somewhere on that spectrum. Being truly self-centered will lead to greed, lust for power (over others) and/or money and they won't care about who they hurt in the process.

Being truly self-less you will want people to look for the light and choose the "right" over the "wrong".

As we can see Heaven and Hell is the same thing, only this was created, just as star wars was, but it was created to keep people in order, and have self control. People didn't want to 'sin' because they would go to hell because of it.

I think it all has to do with finding a balence. I'm not saying find balence on that spectrum.. or to be "neutral" so to speak, but to find balence in your own personal lives. Find balence in your everyday life to "be" instead of constantly judging, thinking about past, present, future as linear, wanting power over others, greed, or even over-analyzing love. Instead of that just "be" in the moment but also "be aware" that you are experiencing that moment, and everything will be just as it should.

Don't look for good and bad in others because that is only your point of view. Instead look at what makes you feel happy and keep doing that. Don't sacrifice your spirit for something you don't want to do.

Ooooo, off topic. Sorry!