Heating and Lighting

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Keep1Rolled, Feb 14, 2015.

1. So I'm starting two plants indoors around mid April. They're only going to be inside for around 1-1 1/2 months before moving them outside when the temp will be 20C plus.
    Just wondering if I will need a heat bulb? And if do will 150 watts burn my plants? The Height of my closet is around 2 ft.
    Also wondering what kind of bulbs I should get? Bear in mind this will only be for Germing and the first part of veg.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

We call him Chief Kief now

2. Bump

3. We'll, if the heat your looking for is ONLY for heat, I would run a heating mat for my seedlings instead.

Assuming you do have a veg light already for when they do germinate, a heating mat will give you a more appropriate, controllable source of heat to get those seeds sprouting. Not to mention they would use less energy then that bulb would be using.

4. How much would that cost though? I'm thinking the heat bulb, and 4 cfl's 32w each should be enough?

5. Well. Online would be cheaper. But we sell Em at my shop for 27.00.

The lighting (the 4 cfls) should be more then enought light for your seedlings. And those alone would probly provide you with enough ambient warmth, provided they are close enough...

The heating mat is just kinda fool proof. Plug n' play. But if your on a budget (and we all, really are) then the cfls alone should suffice.

6. I'm actually starting a grow (1 plant) and I'm running 4 cfls also. They are 100w (23w actual) 6500k and I have a reflector as well. I'm a complete noob and I was just wondering if that 4 would be sufficient or if I should add 2 more?

7. #7 GoldGrower, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015

It depends on how big your grow area is. You want a minimum of 50w per square foot, but 100w per square foot is a good figure

8. Okay that is that's great help..do you know if cfl's in a group of 2 with one mains plug are on the market? And one more thing, how far into the grow will the smell start coming through?

I notice the smell after about 3-4 weeks in to vegging. But some people don't notice the smell until a couple of weeks in to flowering