Heat resistant window film?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by agoran75, Dec 4, 2011.

1. I was thinking about building a cabinet with a 400w HPS light and separate the light from the plant with a pane of glass with heat resistant window film. The film is clear but blocks 99% of the UV rays and 72% of the heat. This will help with the heat from such a large light in such a small space. Cabinet is about 2x3ft and 7 feet tall, thinking 2 maybe 3 plants. My question is does the plant need/use UV rays? Is there anything I might be not considering?

2. [quote name='"agoran75"']I was thinking about building a cabinet with a 400w HPS light and separate the light from the plant with a pane of glass with heat resistant window film. The film is clear but blocks 99% of the UV rays and 72% of the heat. This will help with the heat from such a large light in such a small space. Cabinet is about 2x3ft and 7 feet tall, thinking 2 maybe 3 plants. My question is does the plant need/use UV rays? Is there anything I might be not considering?[/quote]

UV light is used by plants.
    I wouldn't use it personally, but to each their own.

SignSmoker

3. Even though I agree, that is a huge debate weather the plants use UV..
    I personally do not believe the MJ plants use the UV at all, but I do believe it causes a plant to take protective measures when there is higher UV...

Another side-by-side I want to do sometime in the future.... ;)

4. I've seen a lot that says MJ does use UV. Regardless, I wouldn't use that window film, get an air-cooled hood to control heat from the light.

5. Ya, a lot say the plant does, and a lot say the plant don't....

IMO, the plant don't used the UVB...
    But the UVB does triggers its defense mechanism, which of course is to produce more resin glands...

Here is an OLD STONER which kind of breaks it down...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfiI78uN3Ks]The Grow Show - THC, UVB and Me - YouTube[/ame]

6. And that may be the true role of UV.

My point was that there are two guys with differing thoughts about the role, if any, of UV, and yet we're both saying to not use the window film, so it's the same advice either way. ;)

7. [quote name='"toastybiz"']And that may be the true role of UV.

My point was that there are two guys with differing thoughts about the role, if any, of UV, and yet we're both saying to not use the window film, so it's the same advice either way. ;)[/quote]

Just to clarify....I didn't mean used in the sense that it's making it grow, meant used as in to produce more resin glands.
    so we are all saying the same thing lol.

SignSmoker

8. Yep, DON'T USE THE FILM... LOL

Ya know, I read somewhere (I forget where) that the sealed hood glass blocks almost all UVB because of it's heat resistant qualities...

Then doing further research on the subject, a lot are using reptile lights a few hours a day when flowering to replace the UBV which the glass blocks out...

Like the ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 bulbs...
    Also CFLs give off UVB as well, just not in amounts that the reptile lights produce.

:wave:

9. Well the plan is to also have cfls on the sides that would not be behind the glass. That could give some of the UV. I was just worried about the HPS putting off too much heat in such a small inclosure. I think after what I have read, I will not use the film it was just a thought. I guess I am just going to have to beef up the airflow in the cab to compensate. Thanks for all the input blades.