Heat question. Will i be ok?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by datkidganga, Jan 9, 2010.

1. hey guys quick question. I'm building a stealth grow in a cabinet that is- Height=3.33 feet Width 1.25' and Length 2'. I wanna run a 150 watt hps on 2 plants (keeping them on the smaller side). I was thinking a computer fan located near the top corner where the light trap would lead within 6 inches of the bulb, and another computer fan mounted as an intake on the lower opposite corner. Do you think i will run into heat problems or should i be alright? i'm going for a stealth approach so i would like to keep it as quiet as possible. Thanks for your opinions!

2. Trash the PC fan idea. I've used them efficiently on small CFL grows...but ended up later replacing them with 4" or 6" inline duct fans. I think a 6" inline duct fan would be sufficiant for your needs.

3. true. i was thinking pc fans only because of the noise issue. Ive read that inline fans can be quiet noisey. If i properly mount an inline fan within my grow cab (on rubber buffers) would i be able to hear it outside the box? The cabinet is made from a 3 drawer verticle caniet made of half inch wood. I was always under the impression that i would need a speed controller for the inline to tone down the noise, which if i did, would probably be close to the power of 2 pc fans? i have no experience with inline fans so these are newb type questions. im looking for the most power in the quietest way. Thanks guys

4. Inline duct fans don't seem like the best idea for a STEALTH box... unless it's a very big stealth box.

5. my main concern is getting the proper ventilation within my stealth box, while at the same time not overpowering my box. the dimensions are 2x1.25x3.33. Thats around 8.5 cubic feet. As dnugget said, im going for stealth so noise is kind of an issue. I mean, it doesnt need to be completely silent and i dont mind modifying any equiptment to help with noise. But if i can get away with cycling out 8.5 cupic feet of air with 2 120mm pc fans without the box heating up from my 150hps then i would like to do that. Lots of 4" inline fans pull anywhere from 80-200 cfm which seems overboard for a small box and 2 plants that will only veg for around 2-3 weeks. opinions on the fans? Also, from members that have used computer fans, would it be quieter for me to mount the fans directly on the back wall of the box, or should i install them on the other side of the light traps within the box itself. I have put a regular house fan ontop of my box to help not notice the noise of the box and run that so as long as its quieter then that ill be fine. Thanks everyone!

6. #6 Ripped Drifter, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010
    Why? I have a 6" inline in a stealth box. It's actually slightly quieter than when the box had PC fans...probably only because I could replace the 4 PC fans with 1 duct fan. That's is setup in a mini-fridge grow that is only 1.5'x1.5'x2.5'. When I installed it, I cut the diameter of the hole at 6.5", and filled the extra 1/4" around the fan with Great Stuff...keeps vibration to a minimal it seems.

Also, most PC fans are extremely sensitive to moisture. I've killed 4 of them...on all of my fans I heat shrink the wire connections, and hot glue over where the wires connect to the fans PCB to keeps as much moisture out as possible.

I'm not saying a duct fan is the best way to go...I'm just saying I would take them over PC fans any day.

If you must use a fan similar to a PC fan, then look into some good Axial Fans. You'd be better off with those.

I line the perimeter of the PC fan with felt, or foam strips, before mounting it to anything. It should help noise reduction slightly.

7. do the intake at the bottom. and the exaust at the top corner......no comp fans.... 6'' for in..... 6'' or small squirrelcage fan for exit

8. On his little 8.5 cu ft grow? A blower is just slight overkill, wouldn't you say?

I'd go with either axial fans or a duct fan as I've stated previously.

9. Hey i have a 150 hps in a 6 cu. ft stealth cabinet. I use a 4" S&P TD series inline fan that pushes about 110 cfm. This is all hooked up to a carbon filter as well, my temps rarely get over 80. Because you have a bigger cabinet i would suggest getting a 6" fan and just putting it on a speed controller because you don't want to have to buy another fan.

10. P.s. i have a 4.5 in axial fan as my intake and it is way louder than my 4" inline exhaust fan.

11. I guess a blower wouldn't be overkill then.

Sorry for my mistake.:) I always forget they make blowers with lower CFM's (Such as ShadyKid's 110 CFM). When I think of a blower, something with 300+ CFM always pops into my head. Again, sorry if I was mistaken before.