Heat issues

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by mrgutsmcgruff, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Can't seem to get my temps below 100 with the light on. My setup is 1.2m x 1.2m x 2m tent, 600w hps, 6" cooltube attached to 5" inline and carbon filter. 1 oscillating fan on the floor, 1 static fan pointin straight at the light, another clip on static pointing at the light. Ive got a small 4 inch fan drawing cold air from outside with the ducting pointing at the back of the static fan on the floor. It's around 74 when the light is off and between 97 and 105 with it on :( I've just had to replace my hps after 2 months (!) I assume from overheating.
    I've not put my girls into flower yet as I wanted to try and get the temps down first. I've attached a pic from when I first got the cooltube a few weeks ago so it's pretty close to my current setup (slightly different positioning of floor fans, plants further apart now, carbon filter moved). I've got some spare ducting so I think I'm going to save up for another inline fan dedicated to pulling cold air from outside through the cooltube and back outside again.
    Please help! 20170907_190016.jpg

2. Hi there if you take that ducting of the coolube and have it straight to the carbon filter ou will see a big difference in temps. Also turn the carbon filter around the less bends in the ducting better air flow = cooler running hope this helps

3. Ok let's make things clear, first you need to throw hot air outside the "room", with room i mean literally out the room not grow room, otherwise it will recycle inside and temps will keep going up, or you could take cold fresh air from outside the house, but what if it's summer? you would need a cooler, they are not so cheap and may consume a lot.
    This is what worked for me, i had your same exact setup, had crazy temps in summer, i switched to leds, and throw the air outside the house, the intake comes from inside the house, which is in any case cooler than outside.
    This way i can keep temps around 30 in summer.

4. 1 less bends in ducting
    2 u need an exhaust fan removing hot air from grow area to somewhere outside grow area
    3 make sure ur intake for all fans is floor level
    4 run ur lights at night in summer

• Like Like x 1
  5. That's a really small space for a light that hot. The HPS lamps really throw out the heat and you'll have to get the temps down in there before putting plants in or they'll just stall out and not do anything at temps like that. I recently upgraded the air conditioners in our flower rooms. The ones we had made it tolerable, but the temps were usually in the mid to high 80's and I was looking for 70's. I never dreamed how much difference it would make in the rate of growth and development of our plants. So temps make a ton of difference to the plant, especially if you are growing Indica strains. They just don't like heat and humidity to start with and prefer temps in the mid to high 70's. I tried growing them in my current setup and they took forever to get any kind of growth out of them and then they never did produce the buds I should've gotten...and it was all because of the heat. Now that I've got things under control a bit, I might give them another try. We grow mainly Sativa hybrids and have for several years now. You've got a good light, but short of being able to feed some air conditioned air into your tent while the light is going, I don't know how you'll bring the temps down more. You're running an air cooled hood, but that doesn't help with the heat it still emits. Keep good strong air movement going around your plants all the time and especially between the lamp and tops of your plant. Blowing over the tops of the plants will allow you to keep the light and plant a little closer...which is what you want to do during flower. Not sure how you will do it, but no flowering plant will survive at temps into the 100 range, so you'll have to come up with something. Good luck. TWW

6. There's a lot of restrictions there, between the filter and your elbows you're losing well over half of your cfms.

Add another inline fan, one for your light and one for your filter. I could get your temps down to 5f above ambient with 2 inline fans (and, as others have said, pumping all your heat outside).

I prefer strong air circulation. Been through every size fan, love the 20" windmachine because you can hang the base from your crossbars and adjust the angle. Moves a huge volume of air in a short amount of time, even on lower settings. Just a preference, I'm sure your fan is enough for what you've got.

7. My exhaust system goes carbon filter - fan - cooltube - out the window

Then my intake goes from out the window into the tent at floor level.

I'll try taking off the ducting between the filter and the cooltube and moving the fan so it's goes filter - cooltube - fan - out the window

I'm saving up for another inline fan to give my exhaust system a boost but for now I've pt my new bulb into my lame standard hood (it's cooler using that than the cooltube at the moment!) and I'm just doing standard filter - fan - out the window until I have time to move the filter and fan etc

8. 1 I'll attach my filter directly to my cooltube and put the inline fan on the other end when I've got a few spare hours

2 I have an inline fan attached to the filter at the moment it's the green thing in the pic

3 my 4 inch intake is the white thing at the bottom of the tent

4 lights are on 18/6 until I can definitely get temps down and I'm running the night period from 12-6pm as that's the hottest time of day here atm

9. Thanks :)
    I'm not going to let them flower until I have the temps on lock down this is my first grow and I'm not fucking up my investment. I have 5 plants on the go at the moment, 1 big kush fem, 1 super ___ haze (not sure of silver or lemon), and 3 random autos my friend gave me that are a few weeks younger. Bit varied for a beginner but I'm just growing what I can get my hands on really. Mid 70's would be my dream temps but that's impossible for me without a cooler/aircon unfortunately and I'm not sure I can drop that kind of cash yet. I'm fairly confident my air flow is good I've got 2 static fans and an oscillating fan and the 'hand test' says they are ok but the thermometer I hung between the plants reads 105 at the highest and 73 with the lights off which is faaaar too much change but hopefully some more fans and a bit more creative positioning of ducting etc will help bring my day cycle temps down

10. I run 6" inline fans for my kool tube reflectors with insulated ducting, and a separate 12" inline exhaust fan for each room for air exchange and heat removal. Two separate systems. The reflector system draws cool air from outside via a duct to the outside. The 12" system draws cool air from outside thru a passive intake opening at floor level by exhausting hot ceiling level air outside thru ducts. If I needed a filter it would attach to the 12" fan

• Like Like x 1
  11. Buy a bigger fan 6 to 8 inch wac 1 controller, use your 5 inch fan for cold air intake

I'm running a 400w in a 1m square tent and a 600 in 1.2m Square tent 8 inch fan WAC-1 controller no hum connected to a Y joint
    Intake 6 inch connected to a Y joint leading to two tents

12. #13 Tilenp, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    I also had the same setup and the temperatures achieved was arround 28°C to 30°C...way to much if we consider that the room was at stable 21°C.
    Then i switched to LED with insulated ducting (i stll miss one pannel,will arrive in 2 day's) and I added one more extractor...
    The result:
    Temp's at 21°C... can't belive :) but hopefully the 2nd pannel will rise it for 3-4°C
    The RH is a bit high i know...hope will drop in the next days.

Attached Files: