Heat issues with my new dehumidifier

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by karumbakuwa, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Since I'm on the verge of flowering, I decided to invest in a dehumidifier to get into the sweet spot, what I didn't consider was just how much heat is added to my grow tent. I have a fairly small grow tent 1.8x1.2x0.6.

I can't get my head around what I should do, it's a good 4/5c added. Right now I have it at the bottom of the tent but now I know that humidity in the room equalises itself so there's not like pockets of dehumidified air getting trapped like heat does so where I put the dehumidifier is irrelavent.

What do you all do?

2. You could try putting ventilation tubing on the part of the dehumidifier that the heat comes from and venting that out the tent if possible. If not maybe put the dehumidifier just outside the tent.

3. Maybe send your humidifier back and get a swamp cooler instead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. But that won't dehumidify? Great idea though!

5. I've seen this suggestion kicking around, but I don't understand, the air gets pulled in and it's the warmer air coming out that is what has been dehumidified, so why would I want to vent it out?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Sometimes I just smoke too much pot. lol

Increasing air flow. Also, from where comes your air? Can you dehumidify the incoming air instead, like the room that the dehumidifier is in?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. That heat output is just the nature of the beast, but that hot air IS the dried air,so you need that hot air, but you have to make up for it with air conditioners....Sad but true...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. I have considered that but I'm concerned that the automated function on the dehumidifier won't regulate the tent, instead it'll be just constant dehumidification.

9. I'm going to pick up some polystyrene and some ice blocks tomorrow. I have a spare booster fan so I think my intake will be the booster fan pulling in air through a channeled polystyrene box filled with ice blocks. I'll need to change every day but this could be the poor mans solution :) What do you think

10. That's only gonna add more humidity as that ice melts....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. No no, not ice cubes, ice blocks. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gotcha...That's better,lol...

13. If I might ask....Exactly how high is your outdoor humidity running there ? And in the tent ?

14. Some days it gets up to 80% but generally it's a fairly stable 55-65%. The reason I'm not so keen on doing a room dehumidification is both noise and air flow issues (I don't have my tent vented to the outside).

15. So next question...How are you bringing fresh air into the tent ? And letting old air out ?

16. The majority of the time I leave my balcony door open and my bedroom door open to create airflow. The tent in my room has a passive intake and a filter and fan for the output.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ok, good.....So ,You are mixing your room air with your tent air ,and re-circulating it thru the filter...What size is that exhaust fan, and is it slightly sucking in the sides of the tent ?

18. Yeah there's a good negative pressure going on, I upgraded my fan recently too. It's sufficient upto 220cfm so more than double the requirement for me but I have a large back shaded passive inlet so it works well to keep that air moving.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OK,great....You're doing all you can to ventilate the tent, Sooooooooooooo...
    All you can do is lower the temp in your house somehow...
    Or, hope your strains can handle the extra heat....
    Down here in the South US, we HAVE to work our air conditioners to death...It's all we can do...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wouldn't the air that's not being vented out still have moisture taken out of it?

• Agree Agree x 1