Heat issues when I feel I should have none. Need ideas/help

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by LetGo, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Setup.
    600 w dimmable ballast cool tube
    6" inline hydrofarm fan with carbon filter.
    4x2x5'3 tent in a closet
    (dont need the space of the whole closet because its for personal use.)
    6" fan for air flow.
    many passive intake holes.

@50% temps run ~82 degrees
    @75% temps run 85-86 degrees
    havent tried 600w yet because its already too hot(stunting my growth)

any ideas or things I should redo in order to decrease temps welcome while still keeping my grow private and efficent.(not an 8" fan.)  Like rerouting ducting or just using the closet.

Heres the setup

Attached Files:

2. What kind of fan do you have connected to your carbon filter?  Is it one of those inline fans that puts out about 60 cfm, or is it one of those high vortex squirrel cage ones that puts out over 430 cfm?

3. #3 LetGo, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
    440cfm hydro farm by active air(the green ones)
    carbon filters meant for the fan too( carbon filter does have a sleeve over it, should i pull this off or do they need to stay on?)
    granted it is summer and the house does get hot.  I cant run it at night or else I cant sleep(noise)

I feel like a cool tube should be easy running at 75%  thats why I got it.   Figured 600 would be tight in a 4x2 but 400 no prob

Also I do have a speed controller but fan runs at full since temps suck.

4. Your fan is not the problem then.  Some people try to get away with using those cheap inline boosters which just don't have enough horse power.  Your fan on the other hand is fine.  That filter should have a cotton like material as a sleeve over it.  If thats what you are talking about, that is actually your prefilter which prevents dirt and other things from fowling out your carbon.  I would recommend to keep that sheet on if possible.  You can run them without that prefilter, but they claim that doing so will reduce your filters life.

What is the ambient temp of the room that your grow is in?  Your ventilation seems fine.  You should be able to cool it better than that with only using a 400 watt light.  It makes me wonder if your ambient room temps are just too high to begin with.  Where I'm at (South Dakota) the temps at night are starting to drop into the 40s outside so I don't even need AC any more.  If you are somewhere else like California, AC may not be a bad idea.

5. #5 stickyfingaz89, Sep 21, 2013
    To be brutal I don't think its the temps that are causing stunting. I ran at 90.f this summer ( nothing I could do and yes I have well over a £1000 worth of ventilation system) no ac here in the uk and I didn't notice any stunting what so ever. these plants live through 100.f+ at the equator. seriously if your having stunting id be looking elsewhere. ok the temps could be lower but they are not hot enough to cause stunting especially as the air is being replaced by the fan

6. #6 LetGo, Sep 21, 2013
    it is my first time growing organically so it could be that, but still hot.

7. hmmm after looking at the pic you provided I can kinda see a problem.. the air that's being pulled in to the grow is obviously the same temp your house is at. if you want to lower the temp of your grow room find a way to lower the input temp as the lower temp will cool the light better proving a cooler environment for your girls :)

8. p.s yeah I used to grow organically, bio-biz soil and nutes then black strap molasses and natural PH adjusters, all I had was endless problems. hence the jump into coco and hydro :) post a diary..

That doesn't sound organic.  Did you use premade soil and just add bottled nutes to it?  Growing with organics is far easier than hydro and produces bud that tastes better and is more potent.  A true organic grow will include kelp meal, peet moss, earthworm castings, chicken compost, humas, perlite, rock dust, green sand, crab meal, alfalfa, neem cake.  Thats to name a few organic nutrients.  If you grow with that stuff, then you will never have problems.  You simply add water and let your soil do the rest.

10. Many setups I've seen place the fan on the other side of the light.....pulling air instead of pushing

11. was debating on this but then the air wouldnt be pulled from the top.  or have ducting still other side leading to top of tent?

12. #12 jecdev, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2013
    This is the basic ventilation setup....which relates to yours
    you could mount the filter at the top of the box
    [​IMG]

13. if you can, try moving your filter on a separate fan. use a pass-through system on your light ie air from outside the cab goes through light system then out of cab, while your carbon filter system pulls air from inside cab and exhausts out. when you consider, air going through your cab gets heated by your light, then passes through the cooltube as already warmed air, causing the light to get even warmer than if it just had fresh air. I did this for my last cab it dropped temps 5 degrees F at canopy level.