Heat issues 95f and heat stress

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by SmokinJoe19, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Hello gents

I live in Chicago, have a 4x8 Durafoam room in my garage

20 gallon rdwc setup, 4 5 gal buckets, one as a res (outside room, all drivers outside room)1/4 chiller but no ac

I am getting very poor bud development n will have a shit harvest, I have 84f night n 95f day time. Water is 68

but my ladies are big, I bought a co2 rapid release product even tho I vent the room to aid with the temps but am curious if I can do anything to improve my nug size.

I run an in room 50 pint n in the garage/lung room a 40 pint for humidity but they kill me heat wise.

I have 4 fans in the room so tons of airflow but is there anything combat this??

I have grown for a while just never attempted something like this.

I can seal things up further and make better use of the co2 but I’ll be 105f day , 95f night because I’ll be dialing back the exhaust a ton. See pics

please give feedback or advice

Attached Files:

2. Pics

garage n garage door is r8 insulated, 650 total watts lighting

Attached Files:

3. Those do look pretty funky.
    Are you sure it isn't the strain as well?
    I see lots of spindly thin branches that should have been cut off.

4. I ran these in the winter, it’s pink runtz. I had a good run, 2.8 lbs total.

I have other buddies who ran it with good results, they just have ac or ac + co2

5. As for those branches

I’m 6ft, 210. I cannot get in there without bending n breaking lots of stuff. My trimming isn’t that good, I know I should get more off but I’ve fallen in there n really killed a plant drunk cuz I was overzealous about cleaning up

any ideas to combat the heat? I run my lights 8pm-8am, I have a 4” bath fan venting the garage

6. I run my lights at the same interval, 8pm-8am.
    The problem with running A/C is obviously the cost, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
    A "swamp cooler" type of cooling would just introduce a prime mold inducing environment.
    What are you using for lighting?
    I run my "soup" @63degF.

7. 750 watts of light

qb96 w 185 driver
    2 - 3 panel qb132 w 185 driver
    Old burple 300 that’s 120 at the wall
    Hlg 65

8. Doesn't look like very good growth (duh) for 750 watts of light.
    That tall without a bunch of growth or budding looks light related to me.
    Also, could have been the spectrum, not enough red.

9. I only have 2 plants in there

so each have a 3 panel qb132 on a 185w driver n an additional light

one has my qb96 on a 185w driver n the other the burple that’s 120w. The hlg 65 is isn’t above a plant but to help keep even canopy coverage. It’s in the middle

I do know that I need more light, but the heat ???

10. Ventilate the lighting source and MORE LIGHT!
    I started out long ago with MH/HPS lighting so I had to vent heat as well as stink.
    You need more airflow to get rid of light heat then you do to vent the crop.

• Like Like x 1
  11. My room temps are only 5f above outside temps. It’s been 85-92f here for 10-15 days

I run a 20” industrial fan in my garage and open it every 4hrs to stir things around good. I leave this big fan on almost 24/7 for circulation.

I have a 4” - 200cfm fan with filter that vents the room in garage

12. Your growth pics do not indicate a lack of air circulation affecting growth..
    IMO it is due to the lighting.
    I ran a CLW 880 in my chamber and the temps were in the 90's when it was on, even with light cooling.

13. I’m going to buy a qb dual panel 288 on a 240 driver

Like Hlg-240 r spec or a knock off

u think I should get 1 or 2

14. I have no experience with those. For LED lighting I have been using CLW stuff.

I used to use an 880, but I went to a 550 which has controls for color intensity and is programmable.

15. It sounds like you need to increase your exhaust. A 4" exhaust fan is not enough for your 4'x8'' room. I run a 6" exhaust and dump it outside the building.
    If you are able, I suggest upgradinging to a 6" and dump it outside the garage, not into the garage.
    Where do you pull your intake from, the garage? Is your garage attached to your house? If so, can you bring cooler intake air from the house. See if you can install a duct from the house through the garage wall and bring it to the growroom intake. If you are able to pull intake from the house and dump outside the garage you will see a reduction in your operating temps. Also your periodic exhausting of the garage with the 20" is a good idea and should continue.
    On another thought, where is your water chiller located. Both dehumidifiers and water chillers create killer waste heat. If you have not already moved the chiller you should relocate it outside of the growroom.

16. I agree upgrade your inline fan I run a 6in in a 3x3 and a 8in in a 4x4, however those plants aren't showing signs of heat stress. Imo it's a light issue as not enough for that space, or the quality this has already been said tho apologies I second that response. Heat issues cause tacoing of the leaves

17. Dude I used those and they fucking suck and also expensive for old blurple lights. Seriously check out horticulture lighting group man.

20210503_191547.jpg 20210425_194405.jpg 20210602_064953.jpg

18. Thanks for all the replies

I was going to just move, but the prices have become insane. A friend of mine is a realtor and told me to wait this out.

I am budget and modification minded since i plan to be selling this house so soon. I use to grow in my basement 2.7x4ft room and chopped up lots of stuff during those years.

when building the room i initially planned on co2 + chiller, no ac but my buddy who had a setup I was going to buy began using it again. I use the bags or 2 liter bottle ones because I get a 20% discount at my local shop.

I know I have exhaust it right out and away. My room incoming air comes from my garage. The chiller is outside the room as are the drivers and pumps. I only have +5f temps from what it is outside but after so many replies saying my issue is lighting I bought a kingbrite 240w dual panel qb yesterday.

Sade- I have 3 Hlg lighting setups. 1 2017 Mars hydro 300 (120wall). A few posts above I listed all my light but it’s 750 watts of power, with the kingbrite I’ll be 1000w

I run 1 40 pint outside of room and another in room, when the lights go out there is no way to get away without it. I’m wk 6 now and going to 10. I did toss up a old 125w hps to help til I get the kingbrite arrives

I have kids around sometimes n adults who don’t know what’s up in my garage n can only disguise so many things not to look like a big 4x8 grow. So the direct air intake and exhaust isn’t an option.

Hence my 20” big fan and opening it up a ton. I do not have access from my house as it was added on later so, got a fridge, dart board, posters of half naked women…..it a guys hangout

once I can buy a house I plan to build in the basement

19. Air conditioning.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Well I grow open style and it's 115 outside. So I have to have ac on. So my house is 77 and my pants are 80/81. Running a new Spider farmer sf2k. So that's like 4 deg only. Food for thought

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1