Heat Gun or Hakko?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by bentron, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Hello there everybody,
    I'm not new to grasscity or smoking. I am however new to this whole "posting" business, so I apologize in advance for my ignorance and any mishaps resulting.
    More importantly I'm getting ready to invest in a new means of toking, but I can't decide between a heat gun and a nice ceramic soldering iron. I plan on buying both eventually, but for the time being I don't have the dough to shell out for the two of them.
    I really like taking bong rips but I also love vaporizing (not to mention the health perks) and it sounds like the heat gun is the perfect way to enjoy both my passions at the same time. From what I've read, it sounds like this is also possible with the soldering iron, but its a little sketchy (kind of a guess and check process of finding the right distance from the bowl). They make heat guns with adjustable temperatures that would vaporize consistently, but I'm worried that the hot air blast might just blow out the bowl pack.

Thoughts and suggestions?

2. I've never used or know of anyone to use a heat gun, and I know that a Hakko is an effective method from my own and others experience

Hakko

3. Yeah I dig the things I've read about the hakko. I've never tried either one but I'm pretty into the temperature adjustability which you can get with the hakko but it makes it balls expensive which I'm not that into.
    The other thing I don't get about the soldering iron deal is that I always see them red hot all the way down to the handle but I thought they only got hot at the tip. Do you have to take the cover off or something?

4. I used a heat gun, it works pretty good.

5. Hakko + SSV heater cover

[​IMG]

6. i bet that would burn the weed. can't adjust temperature.

7. Ive never seen an attachment for a hakko like that. Thats fuckin sick!

8. Ive always just used a bic but ive heard many people tell me i should get something better... what kind of hakko are you guys using? wouldn't any soldering iron work?

9. Beeline works if you aren't trying to spend 60$.
    I believe they make two models the 456 & 455 (different wattages) with ceramic heating elements. Regular soldering irons without the ceramic element do not get hot enough to ignite the bud completely.

10. If you get a soldering iron, make sure its spanking new or else you might kill yo self with lead poisoning.

11. thanks for the answer thats why i asked didnt know if there was a reason why everyone on here was talking about one specific brand of iron... looks like as long as it has a ceramic element it is good... and yes i know about not using a used iron lol i know people who do stained glass

12. If anyone is looking for a Hakko let me know. I bought 2 of them thinking I would like to have a spare but decided that 1 is enough. I am selling it for 20 shipped. This is the Hakko 454 model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Hakko would be good if you like having a some selection one where u wanna burn/vape probably a easier to handle then a heatgun.

Heatgun would be best with a vaporizer bowl..vaporizer bowls are big and usually can fit the whole nozzle of the heatgun.

check Got Vape for vaporizer bowls.

good luck sir.