Heat exchange help?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by 420 Man, Sep 11, 2010.

1. #1 420 Man, Sep 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2010
    So, ive been running my a/c at 65 F for awhile now since my plants got so big and close to my light,

it was 86 F

so then i tyed them down and it lowered it to 78 F, problem is it stays that hot at night, while i need it to be 76 in the day and 70 during the night :c

so wtf theres something im doing wrong

And i have a fat fan oscillating at 2000 cfm, 24 hrs a day

an air sterilizer thats running 1100 cfm all day

a dehumidifier that seems to be adding my unneeded heat, but is needed for rH :c as w/out it it gets way humid [like 86%] while i try to keep it as close to 40% as i can

and i only have an intake [central air condition] shown at the top left of my room shooting wind over the tops of my nugs

no outtake exhaust, and dont know how much it will make a difference, and need help doing it before i fuck some shit up.

also i wanted to know if theres some kind of better spot i could position my dehumidifier for better results?

my room is 12 feet long 8 1/2 feet wide and 7 feet tall

and idk if this matters but just in case my closest nug is 16 inches away from the light and my hood is not cooled

im growing scrog if thats not obv. from pic.

Color key
    -

light blue = air flow

dark blue box = air sterilizer

grey box = dehumidifier

brown = door and i also shown which way it opens idk if that matters ahaha

right now ive got a box fan running on 2 blowing out the door, with the dehumidifier holding it in place kind of closed with an opening above the fan?

idk plz help if you will i hate it being so damn cold upstairs, i even have all the vents closed haah

Attached Files:

2. dude come on i spent time drawing that.

alot of people dont try to describe shit like me and i contribute alot to this community, help out :smoking:

3. unless your running a closed environment you're probably going to need some kind of exhaust to another room or the attic.

4. alright dude thanks, but see this is what i mean, i dont know anything about heat exchange or anything

like what is a closed environment, and how would i keep it cooled, i understand that it would be a closed room but dont understand how to run one :c everything but this i have down perfect and would like to learn this as im trying to buy another 400w hid [mh]

like what kind of fan and how much cfm? and if you would use paint and draw on top of my picture where you would put an exhaust?

im doing this downstairs, below my living room, and if i wanted too i could have it modified to work going upstairs

or wherever is best

thanks if ya reply

someone i hope does though, its 89 right now and the lights are off,?????? thats wayy hotter than it gets during daytime, so i just turned off the dehumidifier and turned my ac farther down

5. Check out Hydro Innovations. They make an entire line of water cooled heat exchangers. I finally installed the water cooled dehumidifier, and it cooled things down so much, I had to cut the water flow to three of the six Ice Box heat exchangers I have on my lights.

My 2HP Chillking chiller has ample cooling power for six thousand watts, Co2 burner, and dehumidifier.

They really make some nice products, and when installed together as a system, it makes for one pimped out grow show.

6. FYI I like your drawing I am quite the Fan of paint as well.Try using the text tool and describe what each thing is on the drawing instead in addition to describing on the post

I think I figured it out though and it looks like you don't have any exhaust and the hot air doesn't have anywhere to go. So when cool air is blown in it mixes with the hot and is not as effective or there could be a positive pressure in the room and the AC is having a hard time putting fresh cool air in.

The solution may be as simple as opening a window if you have one. If not you may want to get another duct type fan or bathroom fart fan and run some sort of tube or pipe out of the room. Best would be to go through an exterior wall and blow it out side. Just remember if you do exhaust outside and you have close neighbors then they may smell it and if that is the case then you may need a carbon filter on your exhaust but with that air sterilizer you may not have to worry about.

BTW what type of air sterilizer are you running?

DOT

7. Alright well, i made this room myself in the basement and it could be modded any way i want it to be.

if i have a fan would kind would you suggest, my a/c isnt putting more than 300 cfm in the room fersure

and i could install it [but dont know how to do that either, but sure there is a diy somewhere]

but if somebody would be so kind to direct me too....

what kind of fan? cfm?

where at in the room would you put one going out according to my a/c in?

although toledo gave me some great information, i dont have the money for a water cooled dehumidifier, there like 300$ as it is.

and for doinotherthings, i have an argenus air sterilizer.

its the shit dude, before i put it down there, i had it in my room, and i could dump a whole cigarello into it and then poof * gets sucked right up* i really like it, my mother bought me it awhile back for my house. [but fuck my house, weed plants smell haha]
    :smoking:

and an update on the room status, the box fan im running is placed in the frame of the door on speed 3 and seems to be doing the trick. ALMOST.

it was 75 F and 46% rH in there when i woke up :D

but idk how even i can keep it :|

my a/c is down like to 64 F and is always on, probably costing me a fortune, please try to give me a clue

8. #9 420 Man, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2010
    so nobody has any feedback on this? i hate bumping hellas i just want help and shit, like answer the Q's i asked

or can someone start telling me the kind of things i would have to do in order to installl another 400w hid n there while maintaining temps cheaply. :smoking:

pic one is current setup

pic two is what i would want my setup to look like with two lights

Attached Files:

9. I would suggest that you put your exhaust on the wall with the door and to the right of the door as high as you can get it. You should probably move the air sterilizer close to where you put the exhaust.

You could try something like this.

NuTone Basic 70CFM Fan - 695 at The Home Depot

Or something like this.

Inductor 6 In. In-Line Duct Booster Fan - DB206 at The Home Depot

As far as wiring them I am not good with electricity so I would just take a drop cord or old computer power cable and cut the end off and strip the wires and just wirelug them to the wires on the new fan.

Hope this helps

DOT

10. Turn the fan Round as a Sucker rather than a Blower :wave:.

11. :)

REALLY?!

would that work better? whenever i dont have air flowing through the canopy they get real heat curled?, idk if thats a good idea?

anyone else think so? :confused: :smoking: :confused:

12. I personally am sucking & blowing through my lights as well as my tent, so I have some good circulation.

You could also turn your dehumidifier off during the light cycle as I know mine adds about 2-3degrees of unnecessary heat and my humidity hovers around 50% during the day with it off.

13. my fan oscillates nicely and pushes forced air into my box fan, Ive been experimenting with the best spot for my fan

mine gets a bit high without my dehumidifier on, im worried if i put a 400w m.h. in there it will add another 7-10 degrees which would be a bit much to cool, i was thinking about get a window a/c unit maybe :p

14. I have the largest window AC you can buy at Home Depot, a 25,000BTU monster for my tent. Granted it is a tent and not fully sealed some leaks out, but I have mine set to 75 on ECO and LOW and it keeps my tent with my lights on no warmer then 82.5 and during the night right it fluctuates from 70-75.

I am running 8 400w Ceramic Metal Halides in my 10x5x7 tent.

15. #16 420 Man, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2010
    damn dude, i just read through your grow, granted ill go back and post there because i forgot too.

but its definitely soundin like youve got the freakin setup :smoking:

again, ive got a 12 x 8 x 7 room how big would my window a/c need to be if i was gonna full blast the sucker, probably only like 5,000 btu, for only two lights right? :p

and again thanks alot for the help rezn, +repp

16. Screw the window AC if you are going to go that lower, I have a 12,000 BTU portable AC that I got from Home Depot and I just vent the heat out. You could try that, if not, you can always return it. '

Here is one, although there are plenty of cheaper ones out there, just take a look. Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot, Costco...

That little tube that comes out the back is where you need to vent the heat out of your room.

Thanks for the props on the grow, I am about a month away from harvest so lets just hope everything goes quite smoothly. :)

17. huh, seems like i could find a unit on craigslist for under 100$

18. Probably could. Good luck man. Keep us posted.

19. Cool thanks man ;)