Heart problems.

Discussion in 'General' started by Schrenzk, Mar 13, 2011.

1. I have smoked alot of bud in my life, and I have only experienced the feeling of my heart racing a few times, and in those times I smoked way too much :smoke:. Recently, my girlfriend decided she would smoke for the first time in her life with me and I'm ecstatic. The only problem is, she has an irregular heartbeat once in a while and has anxiety from that and thinks shes going to have a heart attack.

I don't want to put her at risk of anything so I wanted to get the point of view from GC first. I have looked at a few medical websites and the DEA website (lol) on the effects of mary j on the heart and got mixed reviews. The anti-mj smokers all say that you will have a heart attack and the pro/unbiased ones say they felt like they had an accelerated heart beat but when they asked someone that wasn't high to feel their pulse, there was no difference and it was normal.

It could be just the perception of time or your anxiety from being paranoid and if it is just one of those things theres no problem, but if it could bring on a heart attack or a more serious case of irregular heartbeat then I don't want to take a chance on losing her.

Serious answers only please.

2. No MJ related deaths right? Some stoner somewhere probably has an irregular heart rate too. I say it should be okay.

*If anything does happen, please don't come back to the forum and blame me, just offering an unprofessional opinion

*edit; Maybe you could start off slow? One day only allow her one to two hits and see how she feels about them and raise the amount she consumes until she is comfortable. Sorta like conditioning

3. If she gets anxiety just from the thought of a heart attack she probably shouldn't smoke marijuana.

4. I wont blame anyone here I promise lol.

And I was going to ease her into it regardless of the situation, but since I'm skeptical about it I'm definitely going to only let her have one hit or maybe 2 max the first time like you said. I just want to know if there are any legitimate reported cases through either research or someone seriously feels like they developed a heart problem or actually had a heart attack from having an irregular heart beat.

5. If billions upon billions of people have smoked and not died I'm sure she's not going to be the first

6. Agreed. I think she's getting me paranoid lol.

I'd appreciate some more opinions though.

7. Just give her a few puffs off a bowl,that'll be enough for her first time.The only thing that makes my heart feel weird is from smoking too much and i think that's just from smoking itself,not the effect of the bud.

8. Oh, she won't die...She'll just have a horrible high.

9. I've been smoking around 10 years and I've had a couple of bad experiences, and long after I first started smoking. I actually ended up going to hospital one night thinking I was seriously ill.

I was smoking a strain I'd not smoked before, alone (I think it was AMS, but I can't really remember for sure). Pretty soon afterwards, I got chest pains, my heart started racing at about 150bpm (I counted), I had pins and needles down my left arm and my blood pressure plummeted (I knew that because I felt like I was going to pass out until I laid down with my feet above my head).

By the time I got to hospital my blood pressure was all over the place, very low when I arrived, an hour later very high. I was put on an EKG machine and given medication to control my blood pressure as well as Valium to calm me down.

In hindsight I realize this was just a panic attack combined with a whitey and almost certainly not going to kill me. That said, it was a very unpleasant experience to say the least (until they put me on Valium and then I didn't really care very much).

In conclusion: My experience was almost certainly exacerbated by the fact that heart disease runs in my family and this was obviously on my mind. The anxiety and paranoia caused by smoking weed (especially in large doses and if you are not used to it) can quite easily lead to a panic/anxiety attack, especially with a pre-existing condition.

I'm not saying that she should or shouldn't smoke, everyone is different. You are definitely right to ease her into it carefully.

On a lighter note: Have fun with your new smoking partner!