Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Heart problems?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by TokingToker, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Hey guys, I have a question and I'm concerned about it, I want to come to you guys first, because you're all experienced with marijuana.

Alright, I'm about 5'11 145 lbs I smoked a couple of bowls with my buddy and I had to take a piss, so I get up and I get real lightheaded, I wait it off and walk downstairs to take a piss, and it felt like I was lightheaded but I wasn't, I felt like I was dizzy and about to pass out, I had to hold myself up and stop and take some deep breaths and walk back upstairs feeling the same. When I finally sat down it was gone.

I told my friend what happend and he was like "That sucks dude" he gets up goes to take a piss, and he comes back up just like me, hanging on the walls and shit trying to keep his balance. Then I said "Sucks dude doesn't it?"

Any of you guys have an idea of what this is?

2. Yes, If i get really really blazed standing up gives me a head rush for about 2-5 seconds

3. Happens all the time, just a head rush from all the blood rushing through your body from getting up quickly.

I get these even when I'm not high, it just seems more fucked up when you are. Nothing to worry about, it goes away quickly.

4. I'm not talking about 2-5 seconds I'm talking for about a minute to 2 minutes.

5. i duno what it is man to lasst 2 minuits, but sounds like a right laugh :D

6. I'm not sure if thats it, it really doesn't explain it too well. From what I read, you basically passout when it happends.

I'll give you a very detailed story of how it happends.

I get up, and I get a headrush, I walk a few steps and the headrush is gone, I'm walking down the stairs and when I get to the bottom I feel like I just got hit by a truck. I get dizzy, I can't walk right, I have shortness of breath and have to do deep breaths in order to breath correctly, but when I take a deep breath it calms it down a little. Then I start to get hot, like a heatflash and then my heart beats faster but if I sit down it all goes away.

It can't be from smoking cigarettes, which I do because it doesn't feel like I ran 20 miles, I just need more air to keep myself from passingout. But yeah the shit we had was pretty good, I experienced this before but I just got reminded by it because it happended again.

7. MJ affects the Autonomic Nervous System:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4463
    http://www.nda.ox.ac.uk/wfsa/html/u05/u05_010.htm
    http://www.ndrf.org/ans.htm

If it's lasting more than a few seconds, that can be a sign that you have a heart rhythm problem, and you should get checked out by a cardiologist. Most people who have these problems typically aren't aware of the fact that it's there (it's usually asymptomatic), but if it progresses, symptoms start coming to the surface... Some of the red-flags: pre-syncope/syncope, racing heart, palpitations, chest pain/tightness, difficulty breathing, "hot-flashes", increased sweating, nausea, numbness/tingling in extremities -- and these sensations are typically relieved with sitting/lying down for a while, as this restores normal blood flow to the brain.

From eMedicine:
    Pathophysiology Syncope occurs when cerebral perfusion globally decreases. Brain parenchyma depends on adequate blood flow to provide a constant supply of glucose, the primary metabolic substrate. Brain tissue cannot store energy in the form of high-energy phosphates found elsewhere in the body; therefore, a cessation of cerebral perfusion lasting only 3-5 seconds results in syncope. Cerebral perfusion is maintained relatively constant by an intricate and complex feedback system involving cardiac output, systemic vascular resistance, arterial pressure, cerebrovascular resistance with intrinsic autoregulation, and metabolic regulation. A clinically significant defect in any one of these or subclinical defects in several of these systems may cause syncope.

Any of the following may manifest as syncope. Cardiac output can be diminished secondary to mechanical outflow obstruction, pump failure, hemodynamically significant arrhythmias, or conduction defects. Systemic vascular resistance can drop secondary to vasomotor instability, autonomic failure, or vasodepressor/vasovagal response. Arterial pressure decreases with all causes of hypovolemia. A central nervous system (CNS) event, such as a hemorrhage or a seizure, can also present as syncope. Syncope can occur without reduction in cerebral blood flow in patients who have severe metabolic derangements (eg, hypoglycemia, hyponatremia, hypoxemia).​
    And here's why you should get checked, just incase:
    Mortality/Morbidity Recent data suggest that patients with cardiac syncope are more likely to experience a poor outcome. Patients who have a significant cardiac history and those who seem to have a cardiac syncope (because of associated chest pain, dyspnea, or ECG abnormalities) should be considered to be at increased risk. Most published methods of risk stratification take into account cardiac symptoms and risk factors.​

8. haha yup same here, thats completely natural imho... but a doctor can only provide you with true sound advice bro...

9. so could mary jane give you a unrhymtic heartbeat?

Sometimes I'll just be sitting around (not high) and I can feel my heart skip a beat and such.

Only does it when I'm not chiefin tho?

10. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THC

Synthetic THC, also known under the substance name dronabinol, is available as a prescription drug (under the trade name Marinol) in several countries including the U.S., The Netherlands, and Germany. In the United States, Marinol is a Schedule III drug, available by prescription, considered to be non-narcotic and to have a low risk of physical or mental dependence. Efforts to get cannabis rescheduled as analogous to Marinol have not succeeded thus far, though a 2002 petition has been accepted by the DEA. As a result of the rescheduling of Marinol from Schedule II to Schedule III, refills are now permitted for this substance. Marinol has been approved by the FDA in the treatment of anorexia in AIDS patients, as well as for refractory nausea and vomiting of patients undergoing chemotherapy.

An analog of dronabinol, nabilone, is available commercially in Canada under the trade name Cesamet, manufactured by Valeant. Cesamet has also received FDA approval for future availability in the United States and is a Schedule II drug.

In April 2005, Canadian authorities approved the marketing of Sativex, a mouth spray for multiple sclerosis to alleviate pain. Sativex contains tetrahydrocannabinol together with cannabidiol. It is marketed in Canada by GW Pharmaceuticals, being the first cannabis-based prescription drug in the world.

11. Sort of... It can cause your heart rhythm to change when it's being used, but this is typically only seen in people who already have heart-rhythm problems.

What you're experiencing is palpitations (premature ventricular contractions being the likely culprit). What happens is that your ventricles beat before they're supposed to, then your heart pauses for a second while it "resets" so to say. Most people experience them and don't even know it. It's probably nothing, but it's always best to check with your doctor as it CAN be a sign that there's something wrong with your heart's electrical system, or that you have underlying ischemic heart disease... So yeah, you prolly wanna talk to your doc just incase...

They'll take an EKG, and probably hook you up to a holter monitor for a day or 2. You might also have to take a stress test and get an echocardiogram (ultrasound)...