Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Heart Problems/ Palpitations

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by xMLGx 2Fad3d, Jul 27, 2008.

1. last night and as we speak my heart has been skipping beats, hurting and i also have shortness of breath. I called 911 since i thought i was gunna go into a coma or something but then i cancelled since i didnt want to get my friends in trouble. it was soo fuckin scary. Has this evr happened to anyone else? Im going to the doctors soon.
    but it occured after smoking two blunts so is that the cause or what? Thanks for reading

2. I could definately be wrong, but I don't think those things get noticed without a doctor finding them for you.

My best guess is you experienced what most people think is a Heart Attack at the time, but is actually a Panic Attack. It happens more often than you'd think with people new to smoking (and sometimes not new too). I imagine if you didn't die, and you're not feeling fatuiged, it was probably just a panic attack.

3. If you had a heart attack you probably wouldn't be posting unless it was from a hospital. It sounds just like a panic attack which can happen even if you aren't stressed or nothing traumatic has happened. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again. But going to the doctor is still a good idea.

4. The doctor told me that i have a irregular heart beat. i really notice it when high for some reason and i get lots of pain in my chest when im smokin or not so i dunno you probably were just trippin out that u could notice it so much.

5. Same here. I cant remember what my exactly he compared my condition to, but he said what i had was "unknown". My heart sometimes stops beating for a second and then starts up again or will skip a beat. Its weird.

6. alright thanks guys. ya i notice it everytime i get high i think im gunna quit... srry guys haha

7. ya same shit has happened to me when ive smoked alot or eaten bud brownies i get this feeling that my heart is skipping a beat and i think im gonna die its really wierd but happens sometimes when i get overwhelmed from the high i wouldnt quit from it i would just try to calm down or drink some cool water or something

8. Look up Panic Attack on Web-MD. Welcome to what your body is experiencing.

9. It seems like you panicked and stress is the cause for the palpitation.

10. Tell your doctor and get an echo cardiogram (basically an ultrasound of your heart) just to be sure.

11. I have an irregular heartbeat due to valve not working or something, forget what the paper said. I can get surgery but it's not necessary I guess. He says it's not good if the brain overworks the heart, "quit thinking so much!".

12. It sounds like an anxiety/panic attack. If it were a medical condition, you'd notice it when you weren't stoned too.

It's one of those things that kind of feeds on itself... your heart races a little because your high, and you think it's a heart palpitation or a heart condition, which induces anxiety, which causes your heart to race more, which causes more anxiety, and so on.

13. i wouldnt quit, i would maybe look into a vaporizer or take a break.

14. just stop thinking about it so much, I was diagnosed with heart palputations and its not harmful just anoying, I notice it alot more when im stressed out or having a panic attack but i try to not pay attention

15. #15 quisqueyano, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
    Yeah you might not be able to smoke again...

Go to your doctor and tell him you were having chest pains and heart palpitations. He'll refer you to a nearby cardiologist. When you go to the cardiologist, his nurse will ask you if you smoke but you can just say no. Tell the cardiologist everything tho.

My cardiologist was cool as shit and I told him "I was high and blah blah blah" and he's like "Coke?" and when I said no he didn't care about the drug usage. He said a lot of people go to a cardiologist after doin' coke because of it's effects on the heart.

Anyways, they'll probably do an EKG and a echocardiogram on you. If all turns out negative, at least you'll get to see (possibly get a picture of) your heart in either 2D or 3D and you'll lose that worry of yours. If anything shows up, you just saved your own life.

edit: Oh and if anyone thinks this is overkill, it indeed be but I'd rather know I have a condition than just shrug it off as the result of getting high or of doing something. Especially when you take into account that others can do that same thing and not have that problem. Self-diagnosis shouldn't be an option for anything heart related. That's just my opinion.

16. Hey man, it sounds like something similar that happened to me although I wasn't smoking at the time. I was walking back from a class and all of a sudden my chest started hurting out of nowhere. It was tight, hard to breathe and to the point where I just felt like collapsing, but I managed to walk to my dorm. It was like nothing I had ever experienced before. My mom recommended that we go get it checked out just to be safe and the doc did an EKG, (turned out normal, Im a healthy guy, have played sports throughout my life, try to eat somewhat healthy, have only smoked a handfull of times,etc). He asked me if I smoked cigs, did cocaine, (i dont) etc, but they really didnt give me an answer of why it happened or what caused it :confused: so idk. Hasnt happened since either.

17. Don't be a jackass. Go to a doctor. You're pretty much a complete moron if you don't. If this is something serious, you could be paying for it years down the line. If you value your life, health, or anything you have, you'll see a doctor. You don't want to dismiss it now and die in a few years because you've got a coronary embolism or something. If it's a panic attack, no biggie. But if it's not, you could be dead. Play it safe, talk with a professional.

18. When I smoke I feel like I cant get a deep breath...thats it tho. Feels like my lugs are working overload...kinda cool lol.

19. Get it checked out by a doctor. I know that weed increases your heart rate a little bit, but definitely not to the extent that you're describing. Best of luck to you bud!

20. Same thing happened to me yesterday and earlier today! I do have heart palpitations or just an irregular heartbeat, because I can feel my heart beating (this isnt normal, right?) It actually happened a little while ago, and just now I totally relaxed me head got all thoughts out of my mind and didnt focs ona single spot and i feel so much better/higher.

What are palpatations, exactly, and could they be a sign of something bad?