Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Heart palpitations after smoking?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Jizz Master, Jan 20, 2009.

1. I just recently started smoking again after about a 2-3 year hiatus. Well lately I have been smoking the past 4-6 days in a row. After I smoke, almost instantly I begin to have an increased heart rate, which usually lasts until my high wears off. Even when I don't smoke the next day I still have heart palpitations throughout the day.

Now I consider myself to be extremely healthy, I eat well and exercise a lot, about 5-6 times a week including cardio and weight lifting.

I really enjoy smoking, but I can't keep smoking if I have heart palpitations all the time.

Does anyone know if this is a regular occurrence that goes away after a while? (I started smoking again about a month ago) When I used to smoke 2-3 years ago I didn't have the same problem. Is there some kind of tolerance I need to build and then it goes away? Or is this a serious problem? I don't plan on smoking again until I get this sorted out.

2. What do you mean by palpitations?

Like, an irregular heart beat?

As far as your heart rate speeding up, that is completely normal.

3. Yeah it's normal, and I think he meant like irregular heart beats or something

4. This reminds me of one time when I'd just finished toking, packed up stuff, then went on my computer and I got massive indigestion and I thought I was having a heart attack, I started freaking out until I figured a heart attack would prolly hurt a lot more and calmed myself down, then I thought how ridiculous that was and laughed >.>.

5. Yeah irregular heart beats is pretty much what I meant. Also I think I need to calm down, i've been smoking soooo much lately. Some people can handle it, but I don't think my body can. I'm gonna try to cut down to 1-2 times a week.

6. As your heart speeds up, it may feel like you heart skipped a beat but it was more likely 2 beats in rapid succession. Normally, it isn't a problem but if it's happening constantly, like once every hour or more, I'd tell a doctor what's happened and when it started.

7. Hey, look at it this way.. Smoking 2-3 times a week will save you money & will keep your self grounded.

8. Hey, look at it this way.. Smoking 2-3 times a week will save you money & will keep your self grounded.

9. Interesting read, thanks for the info!

10. AHHAHAAHA quit trippin dude and relax. this is as funny as when first timers smoke and they think their heart stopped, but by some miracle they're still alive.

11. Very interesting, I have suffered from some of these symptoms before, with a couple extreme cases too. Good information to know MelT, +rep.

12. bloody hell i get this palpitations thing to what happens is say iv just had a spliff after i smoke it my heart rate goes up wich is completly normal i know then all of a sudden i get like a big beat unexspectedly just like this bump bump, bump bump, BUMP ( no second beat then back to bump bump. its quite sketchy whilsts it happens and after going to the hspital and having millions of checks nothing is wrong iv had heart ecko's were they actualy see your heart on the scree and nothing is wrong, one doctor called me a hypocondriact and i ended up getting kicked out the hospital after swinging for him lol but look dont worry your brain is the biggest threat becouse cannabis causes parrania so its actualy worse then what it is... when ur rolling around on the floor and it feels like theres an elephent sitting on ur chest then worry but untill then fuck it lol

remember we are not made from glass its quite hard to break us...:wave:

13. I understand what its like when ur high. But I suffer from all the symptoms a few days after I smoke, my heart still has an irregular heart beat days after I smoke, that is the problem i'm concerned with.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yeah man i've been smoking everyday for like 4 years now and im only 19 and this has started happening to me out of no where i've had nothing like this ever happen to me before and i find it really weird this happens it's really pretty scary i've gone to the doctor and they said nothing was wrong so i don't know what i should do i love smoking and dont want to quit but i have no idea how i can just be like before and smoke and not have this happen to me anymore i hate these palpitations so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great

15. Yeah dude same here i'm thinking about going to the doctors high so they can see whats happening first hand because im tired of them telling me it's nothing and having to waste money to hear that

• Like Like x 1
  16. Happens to me a lot too, but I have a decent history of palpitations. If you get them when you're stressed out or have done a lot of cardio, I'd be worried; if it's just when you're smoking, you're probably good.

17. I love it when you can't feel your heartbeat or breathing....its like being disembodied spirit:)

Is what OP is describing PVCs ( premature ventricular contractions) by any chance:confused:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/premature-ventricular-contractions/DS009

18. I was going to suggest you cut back a bit, and smoke less during your sessions.

If some people drink too much coffee they can experience the same thing. Moderation in all things.

Peace.

19. Although I am a "little" late to this conversation, I recently read up on whether Marijuana contributes to having heart palpitations here - http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/570583_6

Interesting read, you should check it out if you're still around.