Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Heart pain when smoking?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by DankBoy42069, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Hey guys!
    My friend is having problems. He is young adult, about 6 foot tall and 160lbs. Whenever he smokes, he gets this bad pain in the left side of his chest (Heart area). Has anyone else got this? He just started smoking and it doesn't matter how ripped he gets, its always there and it makes his high "not even enjoyable". Can someone please help? He has slightly low blood pressure. He went in to have a heart monitor (holter monitor) put on him for 2 days to monitor his heart to see if everything was ok. That was a month ago and no word from the doctor so we're assuming nothings wrong. Help? Will the same thing happen if we were to make brownies?

2. #2 GobindU, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
    It could be something much less serious than cardio issues. He may just have an ulcer around LES (lower esophageal sphincter) which is being aggravated and causing pain when he smokes.

3. 16 years old... (kinda hesitated to say that before) is that possible at that age?

4. Im sure it doesn't help that he most likely thinks about it before and while he smokes only making it worse...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. A heart defect no not at that age. Unless of course he has some type of congenital heart defect. Now heart burn or GERD (or if GERD has gone untreated for several years) or an ulcer very much so.

6. like pangs of sharp pain around the heart that worsens or loosens in certain positions when breathing??

7. OP your friend should go to the doctor for a full cardiovascular examiniation. But, rest assured that more than likely it is something as simple as musculo-skeletal pain, which is what I had when I had a sharp chest pain. It was from doing chest workouts. Went to the hospital and my heart was fine, just had skeletal pain.

8. This happens to me too I think its anxiety related

9. my anatomy teacher had told me it's just the chest muscles cramping up, a heart problem would be more definitive. I believe him.

10. #10 anduin1, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
    well weed is supposed to increase the heart rate so if he has underlying issues with his heart, weed can definitely make his heart work harder than it should and give him the sensation he's getting. It can cause something like arrythmia or even a heart attack in the short term IF you're susceptible to getting them in the first place. If you're buddy doesn't feel comfortable getting high off weed then he should really not do it, smoking in general is not good for our cardiovascular system and some people react worse than others.

Edit: He may be also feeling muscle pain in his chest, I get those pains and they feel like heart pain but its just cramping. Lots of fluids (water, not soda) can help relieve some of that.