Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Heart attacks

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by skillsforilz, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Can Marijuana cause heart attacks for people with bad hearts? My family has a history of bad hearts, but I've smoked for months and haven't ever had heart problems when smoking it. I mean, has anyone ever gotten a heart attack from Marijuana? I'm just asking. Don't be negative.

2. After the first hour of smoking marijuana, your heart rate can increase by as much as 50% depending on the strain and your tolerance.

3. I guess if I had heart problems, I'd notice right? I mean, I've never noticed anything wrong with my heart when I smoke.

4. #4 fadeddd, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2010
    I've had two occasions where my heart began racing and pounding extremely hard and fast after smoking. The first time was my first bong hit of some really dank weed when I had no tolerance, the second was when I spent 40 dollars for a gram of some imported Nepalese hash and took a hit of it.. my girlfriend took a hit and her heart took off as well.

But obviously we didn't have heart attacks. I would just suggest seeing a cardiologist, having a stress test and the other standard non-invasive tests they perform, and if they say your heart is healthy, toke up my friend.

Edit: by the way, a stress test pushes your heart rate to the max with professionals standing by to monitor what happens when your heart is beating at extreme rates. If nothing shows up from this test, you're safe to exercise, and you're safe to smoke weed

5. It does increase your heart rate. If increased heart rate would cause problems for you, then yeah, it could complicate things.

6. I was just wondering. I'm more like my Dad's side than my Mom's. My Mom's has the bad hearts. My Dad's doesn't. I think I'm fine and have never had heart problems and I have been baked out of my mind enough times to say I probably have a healthy heart,

7. Within your first hour after smoking, your risk of heart attack is 4.8x base.. Thats about 1/3 as dangerous as a red bull..

8. Don't quote me on this, but I think it takes other factors besides a bad heart to have a heart attack. Do you mean weak hearts? Cause that can be strengthened with exercise and proper diet. If you mean high cholesterol/blood pressure, that is a part of your life that should be changed as soon as possible, because with high cholesterol you are literally a ticking time bomb for a heart attack.

I feel like my heart is weak, I have been anorexic for a good chunk of my life so I have put my heart under some serious strain. Sometimes I get scared when my heart skips beats, but it always corrects itself. I have been smoking for years, and I'm still around :)

9. Well I do work out a lot so it's probably strong.

10. Yeah, if you're in good shape you shouldn't worry :)
    :smoke: