Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Hearing Voices

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by ToastedPBJ, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Glad to see responses from other people, I guess i'm not insane..

Another sidenote: If you know anyone who's schizophrenic, if you smoke weed with them a lot and hang out with them a lot and listen to them talk, a lot, then you start to get it.. I swear, I hung out with my friend who smokes mass bud (a few o's every few weeks) and he's schizo, and after I get done chillin' with him, I feel like him.. like people are out to get me, and if i'm smoking at home when i'm not supposed to, i'm paranoid and feel like my parents call me and are asking what i'm doing in my room, but it never happens and I stay paranoid as fuck throughout my high.

anyone else in the same boat with me?

2. I've always said that if you go into a mental hospital sane, you'll come out insane... I hope your friend seen a doctor and just didn't self diagnose and tell everyone that. I've seen that a lot, same with depression.

3. that's exactly what was running through my head lmfao.
    but seriously, it's probably just paranoia. i don't usually get paranoid but i know friends who do, and they "hear the doorbell" or "hear someone talking" all the time

4. I do that a lot... hear someone come up the stairs.
    When i'm sober too. Just a lot more often when I'm high.

I don't have Schizophrenia either.

5. Does anyone hear there name called when there sober? like just chilling watching tv and you hear a voice calling your name? or listning to some music and suddenly they say your name even though you know its not in the song and if you listen to it again you dont hear it? (im talking when your sober btw)

6. I can't find the post, but someone said "gateway sounds". I am bipolar, so I see a shrink, but I have this condition or whatever where I will hear a sound and my mind translate that into music. I have had this for a few years. It is called a "psychological illusion". It started out for me that I would hear a rhythm like a fan, the fridge, it was always a machine for me and even as quiet as a computer fan, or as loud as a washing machine. My brain would translate that into music I had never heard. Now after like 5 years I am hearing songs I know too, and it is happening even when I am outside and am hearing birds or crickets. But there always is a referring sound. You also have a referring sound a drip or something right? I have looked this up, but not found anything when I googled it.

Also, I did a poll here, I can't find it now, but I asked about hallucinations and the most people said they thought the hear something. Also, quite a few said they clearly heard something. There were also a good number of respondents who clearly saw open and closed eyed visuals. It was pretty enlightening.

Sammy

ps. Red do you have access to any databases or anything you could look up psychological illusions in?

7. #47 tharedhead, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
    I'm looking:)
    Perhaps he meant Psychoacoustical illusions?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/04/fashion/thursdaystyles/04phan.html

8. No, not quite, although I'm thankful and appreciative that you looked!:wave: I looked up psychoacoustical illusion and found a somewhat simple definition and that was not it on Wikipedia. I am seriously going to contact my old doctor if I can get in touch with him now that he's retired, and ask for a source of his information. I'm glad you tried, but it would be in a medical journal somewhere, that's why I asked if you might know. I have given up searching the web. The college here might have it in the psychology periodicals in the library (we have a psych dept.) alas no medical school though. I'll check there though.

Sammy

9. that would scare the hell out of me never had anything like that happen and im glad of it

10. mild auditory halucinations are not uncommon with cannabis use, but keep in mind that there is a difference between when you hear something and when you think you heard something.
    Sometimes sounds that are actually there just sound distorted to you.
    Things like this can be a bit controversal.

11. #51 Silent Nemesis, Apr 24, 2010
    hmmm... i'm confused.

I hear stuff a lot more when I smoke and lately it's just weird... I'm going to stop worrying but i've abused Methylphenidate AKA Ritalin and that's a dopamine re-uptake thing, and I've read and looked at pictures of schizophrenic brains and there's always that certain area that's enlarged, to me it looks like where you percieve voices and see/speak, etc.. but i have no idea. (and the point of this was because it has to do with the dopamine part of your brain.. also I remember reading how people with schizo like to use stimulants and that's exactly what Ritalin is, my friend who's got it abuses Adderall like they are nothing, popping 60 mg a day and more... having episodes.. and i was hanging out with him all the time, and after that I feel like him.. it sucks)

I also believe/sort of think there's other dimensions out there, and I have no religion... I'm pretty scared to be honest and I would stop smoking weed to not get this life-long disease but.. ugh.

12. I have schizophrenia and I smoke about every night. I like it's affects for other things but it does ease my mind a little too. Voices can stem from many other psychiatric issues as well, maybe you should just talk to your doctor. I bet if you got prescribed something you wouldn't have that problem at all. I take Invega and I don't.

13. Say you're an adolescent, maybe around age 16? Would it be possible to develop this at a younger age like that?

this isn't about me of course, I'm just curious. :smoking:

14. #54 JesusGreen, Apr 24, 2010
    Deliriants do that, and it doesn't just last for the duration of the trip, it can last for several weeks after, I've abused deliriants so I should know. Stimulant psychosis is usually temporary, but deliriants can and do produce long lasting varied effects, this is why I always urge people not to do deliriants. (And fyi, if you didn't know, diphenhydramine is a deliriant)

If you've been abusing Ritalin lately then stop, stimulant psychosis can also be produced by Ritalin withdrawal, and lasts a bit longer in this case, but if you keep off it then it should soon go away.

Don't worry about it though, it should stop in time, even if it's induced by deliriants. Just be patient, the time it takes to stop can vary from person to person, I know people who use deliriants and never have lasting effects, for me personally the after-effects lasted 2-3 weeks, and I know people who have had the after effects last for as long as 1 or 2 months.

However one thing I will say is, this 16 year old "friend" of yours should not be experimenting with Ritalin or deliriants. If they cannot wait until they are 18 to take drugs, then they should stick to weed.

@OP: Don't worry, sounds like a nice sativa to me, that happens. Auditory and (mild) visual hallucinations are actually a much more common occurrence than people think with weed, if you're still hearing things when you're not high then come back here and we can give you more advice.

15. #55 shroomeryguy, Apr 24, 2010
    When you say you used diphenhydramine, did you mean you used it for recreational purposes in a high dose, cause that would obviously have done it. In fact I think their have been a couple of cases of long term use that have resulted in that condition where you constantly hallucinate, I can't remember its exact name, for a certain time even months after people have taken it.

Oh my bad I didn't see the post before, so yeah deliriants are bad especially datura.

16. Alright, understood.

My friend is quite thankful for the advice.

also I think I got laced weed, or it's just really good.. last time I smoked it (a few hours ago before I passed out) I could've sworn some stuff looked way too red or way too blue l ike my fingernails looked blue my eyes looked like red and blue and just it was kind of scary, the ash from when I smoke the bud in my bowl is normal looking, I exhale my hit and I see a clear white smoke not just normal looking smoke from bud, after I hold the smoke in my lungs for 3-5 seconds I can feel the burning sensation or whatever that clear smoke is go through me, it looks like there's little white pieces of folded up paper in the bud, smells sort of chemically but I can't really tell...

and when I say little pieces of folded up paper, like imagine printer paper folded in half, then just sitting there; like that, but scaled down way way more, like a little tiny.. less than a few cm paper, like very very tiny almost not visible..

17. No no OP is perfectly fine. Everyone experiences frightening auditory hallucinations every now and again. It all comes down to him and if he thinks its a problem or not.

18. Maybe it was laced with paper? LOL jk
    No it was not laced, there's a laced cannabis sticky already.

19. I dont know why people would think a dealer would waste his personal money putting drugs on your weed. The logic doesn't make sense

20. thread is hilarious but i hear things from time to time, mostly music or unrecognizable noises