Healthy top sickly bottoms...?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by OwnGrown, Aug 26, 2010.

1. week 3 into flowering and my 4 plants start getting pretty thin on the bottom despite having ample light situated over them evenly. Basic organic soil from big box store, watered every other day or when dry according to the 1" finger test. Sanded the tops of the soil to ward off gnats and hung sticky strips. Theres still some around, though not as many. The bottom of the plant gets yellow and just dries up and falls off, but the tops (and the stem all the way from top to bottom) are healthy and green. Ph is ideal (6.5-6.8) They get an occassional nute drink once every two weeks a liquid of 7-7-7 diltued to 3/4 strength and an occassional rain water soak, once a month. But i always let the soil get dry between waterings. Is this kind of localized damage due to gnats?
    Temp and humidity are constant and are posted in the pic below. any ideas GC.?
    this is my first grow btw.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      224.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      154.6 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      170.4 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      190.7 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      192.2 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      205.9 KB
      Views:
  2. your plants are just using the nutrients inside some of the unnecessary leaves, its normal, try not to pick off the leaves because that means they will take nutrients from somewhere else :(
    hope i could help

3. Really?

All the research ive done and i have never come across that explanation. Well, if thats true, thank you very much. I will leave this post up a bit longer hoping others can confirm.