Healthy Leaves Drooping

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by nacher, Mar 15, 2010.

1. I have a super skunk plant that is 3ft tall, really bushy and healthy grown indoors in soil. Im 1 week into flowering and recently every single leaf has started to droop a lot. Even though the leaves are drooping the leaves still look healthy and green. Its been two days now. I water every 2 to 3 days, but since Ive seen the drooping its been about 4 days since watering.

Im thinking since I recently changed to 12/12 that the soil hasnt been getting enough time to dry between watering. My thoughts were maybe that the top soil drys quick but at the bottom of the pot theres still a lot of moisture.

If you could help me out that would be much appreciated.

2. I am having a simaler problem, but I think its because I live in a VERY LOW HUMIDITY climate. I wish I could offer some sage advice, but I can't.
    Good luck Bro.:wave:

3. The conundrum here is that over watering and under watering tend to start out with the same symptoms of drooping. It sounds like your soil is not drying out or getting enough oxygen to it. Is there much perlite in your soil? And how is the drainage of solution?

4. At first I thought it was overwatering but I investigated more and kind of dug in to the soil and it seems that it was pretty dry and compacted pretty tight. i think its underwatering. I tried watering but the soil it all compacted and dried that the water goes straight through somehow and comes out the bottom.

anyone one have any solutions for loosening the soil so the water can get through to all the soil and roots, instead of just going down the sides without really getting into the soil.

and do plants need significantly more watering during flowering stage then veg stage?

thanx for your help

5. It does sound as though your soil is dry.

Water slowly, a bit at a time. Give the plant and soil time to absorb it, if you chuck it all on in one go onto bone dry soil, it will run straight off and not do any good. If necessary, water a few cupfuls, then go away for half an hour and then return and do the same again. Do it a couple of times until the soil is wet through.

:)

6. my super skunk does that, it seems to react to low nutes before the others.

7. Typically, as the plants/roots grow they will be absorbing a lot more water. Also, you will find that in warmer temperatures, excess water will be absorbed by the plants to use for transpiration through the leaves as a cooling mechanism. This will leave nutrients in your soil or solution so feeding with plain water will be necessary to flush any solids from the soil. On the other hand, in cooler temps, less water is needed for absorption but they will still absorb nutes so a more potent solution may be necessary.

8. *Ding *Ding - we have a winner.

I use a turkey baster. Gives you a reading of how much and more importantly, IMHO, it gives you precise control of where you put your moisture. In a 9" pot I'll do 3 turkey basters, 2 out of 3 days.

BTW, my soil is about 40% perlite and it seems to help prevent the dirt from packing down and preventing the roots from getting oxygen.

Hope this helps and good luck :wave:

9. Freedom4ever and grandfather thanx for your help. My plant is back to normal and all good. No more drooping leaves and plant looks super healthy again. :) Watering slowly it definitely the key to a good watering.

Thanx guys

10. If your plants leaves seem to perk up after you water you are probably under-watering.