Healthy green leaves pointing upward towards the light....why?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Fatherdank, Nov 15, 2013.

1. 400w hps ... My sprouts leaves are pointing upward towards the light. The light is 12"-14" above the tops of the plants. Surely it doesn't need to be closer? 400w hps, humbolt soil, no nutes yet and using purified water.

2. I don't grow but from what I've read on GC those lights should be just inches away

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Only 2 of the 4 are doing it

4. Leaves pointing upwards - ie: "praying hands" are a sign of plant health.

J

5. as in they are in good health ?

You're thinking of CFLs. If you put a 400w hps inches from seedlings you'd have cooked seedlings in no time.

7. ah ok, thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. They're just reaching up for the light. Its normal.

Check out my grow journal at: Http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1187623-sensi-seeds-super-skunk-coco-grow.html?hl=sensi+seeds+super+skunk

9. Without seeing pictures, yes.

J

10. #10 GOLDENBOY, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
    [quote name="grell" post="18991724" timestamp="1384552188"]I don't grow but from what I've read on GC those lights should be just inches awaySent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app[/quote]You dont grow? Then why the hell are you giving info like that for? You dont just go and give bad info like that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I knew they weren't to be that close.. Just didn't know if I was a few inches to far away... I did put them about 3 inches closer .

12. there is no yellowing or anything. They are beautiful green sprouts, just the leaves are reaching upward is all.. I moved them a few inches closer.

13. If it's a seedling, it should be a metal halide light until flower. You put your hand over the plant and if your hand is hot the light is too close    2 cents

14. "Should be a metal halide light until flower"

Well... That's always been debatable... I've had excellent results running HPS in veg as well as flower.

Not knocking MH. They both work well.

J

15. does that still apply with autoflowers as there really almost is no veg stage?

16. has the mh honestly given you better results over hps in veg ever? Or have you seen very similar results? Things such speed of growth, node spacing, etc... And do you think that mh is really needed for autoflowers as they have close to no veg stage?

17. I honestly have never grown an auto flower in my life - sorry. I couldn't give advice regarding them.

I will say that I have gotten very similar results from both types of HID lighting though. There are too many negative ideas about HPS stretching or providing negative results during vegetative growth that I just haven't seen myself. For a long time I used only HPS and I'll tell ya it worked just fine.

Good luck.

J

18. Its called moisture stress. Contrary to forum rhetoric you CAN have too much light.

@[member="grell"]....if you don't grow then why chime in? A lot of shit gets said here, the majority of which is regurgitated crap.

19. thank you.

20. Its a sign of good health, its how all plants should look. If leaves are drooping there is low pressure from you doing something wrong