Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Health Risks

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Jonny5Alive, Apr 19, 2016.

1. I'm a recent kidney transplant recipient which entails having a very suppressed immune system to prevent rejection of the new organ. Hospital guidelines suggest that if a patient plans to continue smoking cannabis, it should be roasted in the oven at 300F for 15 min to kill mold. After much research I haven't found any truly conclusive methods to eliminate the spores themselves which are the most lethal to someone in my situation. Anyone have any safe, reliable advice?

2. hash

• Like Like x 1
  3. Very well may be a viable option since there are dry ice and heat methods involved, right?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hash can be made all kinds of ways. If it's super important to make sure there are no impurities (like mold spores) in it then I think you should go with a solvent method rather than a mechanical method. QWISO is the easiest, plus isopropyl alcohol also sterilizes things. The only trouble would be if the mold spores are soluble in alcohol, but that doesn't seem likely to me.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thank you very much for the info. I have to agree. After the suggestion of hash was made I looked up the methods of manufacture and came across that solvent method. I'm thinking that's the way to go. I'm putting high high, but not absolute, percentage of faith that the 1hr decarb and 48hr simmer on my butter process to alleviate any mold issues. However, we all can probably agree that nothing in life is a 100% sure bet barring death and taxes of course ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. or vape dry herb or E-juice

E-juice uses proof alcohol in the extraction process.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I'm a kidney transplant patient and have had my kidney for over 21 years with no issues. I smoked before and after with no problems and until recently that was all black market material and you never know what you're getting. The cannabis actually helps with a lot of the issues from a transplant such as hypertension. Many modern strains are resistant but mold and mildew can happen though heating it to 300° is going to kill some of your cannabinoids and terpenes.

Be sure to keep taking your meds, especially the Bactrim for fungal infections. As you go along they'll reduce your immunosuppressants and other meds and you'll have less daily risks. Until then just use common sense. If you're toking and start getting a sore throat, stop, but you shouldn't really have any problems. Just be vigilant and take care of the kidney and it will give you a fairly normal life again.

Edibles and tinctures reduce any risk greatly. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. I'm 7 yrs post heart trans and I smoke without baking it all the time..I am cautious about my sources though and usually smoke my own cause I know it doesn't have mold...I get checkups all the time and never had problems

• Like Like x 3
  9. Very good to hear. Glad to know someone else in similar circumstances. Modern science is unreal! Be well brother and hope you're enjoying the holiday:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Awesome, thanks! Glad to know you brother. Hope you're enjoying your holiday:thumbsup:

11. I am glad to be living in a state where the weed is tested for mold before it's sold. There are an awful lot of growers getting their weed tested these days.

• Like Like x 3
  12. You guys seem to be one of the most progressive, forward thinking states in the union.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 3

13. unfortunately tis the reason GOV weed will be irradiated for our use. all the beneficial micro organisms and trace elements/minerals get irradiated too plus us when we absorb irradiated plant matter... doing that in the oven will decarboxylate your weed too which makes it stronger and you can eat it and other things once decarbed as your not just stuck smoking it

• Like Like x 1