Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Headaches from smoking schwag?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by BenevolentSun, Apr 24, 2011.

1. #1 BenevolentSun, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2011
    Background: I've been smoking for about five years, irregularly. (Sometimes daily, sometimes weekly, sometimes monthly, sometimes not for months.)

I've been smoking on a slightly more than weekly basis for about eight months, and I've never experienced negative side effects. Last week, for the first time since I've been smoking regularly, I bought a bag of "mids." It looks pretty good--nice and fuzzy, dense but not bricked--and I get a pretty good high from it, but it's nowhere near the quality (or the price) of the stuff I've been smoking otherwise.

The last couple days in a row I've smoked enough to keep a nice, crisp high going for most of the day. I've also been experiencing really nasty headaches (not pulsing but steady--almost feels like my brain is in a vice grip--and the pain spikes if I cough or move my head suddenly) that start shortly after I start smoking and increase in intensity until I either go to bed or break down and pop a few Ibuprofen. Discontinuing smoking doesn't seem to have any effect in the short term.

Yesterday, I took a break from smoking. The headache was still present, but much less intense.

Now, since this is the lowest quality bud I've smoked in months and the headaches didn't start until I started smoking it, I'm inclined to believe that it may be the source of the problem. But I also don't wanna go all post hoc ergo propter hoc and toss out a perfectly good bag for no reason.

So I figured I'd ask around. Does anybody else get headaches when you smoke lower-quality weed? Or when you smoke excessively? Or maybe when you're coming down from a good high? Or do you think this is just a coincidence? (It may very well be; my girlfriend was pretty sick about a week ago and I could have caught it from her.)

EDIT: Oh, and: If you do get headaches from smoking bunk weed, does anyone know what the biological cause for it is? I'm curious.

2. make sure you're not smokin the seeds and stems of and more importantly just dong even consider schwag as an option when paying for bud, in your mind that stuff shouldn't even exist you never know what's in it or how old it is or where it was kept...

3. #3 No1weedsmoker, Apr 24, 2011
    yea, i get headaches all the time if i'm smoking anything with seeds. the bad bud can cause somewhat of a headache by itself, but i've heard there's actually something in the seeds shell or something that causes headaches, so make sure to pick out all the seeds, and it should at least be less bad.

edit: and if you can, pick up dank... i've done the math 100 times, and at least for me, buying mids saves me little to no money because I have to smoke at least 3 times as much to get high.. not to mention that it's nowhere near as enjoyable.

4. I'd throw up from the taste before I ever got a headache from a seed in a bowl haha

5. How are you smoking your weed? Rolling joints, or pipe, bong, what? I'm inclined to believe I have to smoke more of mids or schwag to get where I want to be, therefore potentially leading to headaches as a result of smoking more than I'm used to normally with good dank. Plus, you just never really know what you're getting with the low-grade as far as I'm concerned...most of it comes in illegally across the border anyways, and God only knows what type of journey it's made to get where it is to begin with...it could have been thrown in the river and retrieved on the other side, and no telling what all it's been exposed to when all is said and done...with good dank on the other hand, you at least have an Idea that it was probably grown by somebody not all that far away, most likely indoors, and was probably nurtured and cared for in ways that low-grade never would be...all that said, I also believe you can give yourself a headache just hitting the bong or pipe too hard, too frequently...the good thing is, like you mentioned, a couple of ibuprofen usually take care of this headache pretty easily...

6. #6 BenevolentSun, Apr 24, 2011
    It's not schwag per se. I haven't found any seeds, and the only stems are where they're attached to bowl-sized nuggets of intact bud.

For a comparison:

The mids I have now were $20 for 3 grams.

Average price of reggie (local term for schwag) in this area is $100 an ounce (in even intervals; $25/quarter [~7g], etc.)

Average price of krippie (local generalized term for good dank) is $60 an eighth (~3.5g).

So, so the stuff I got was significantly more expensive than reggie but significantly cheaper than krippie, and I definitely don't feel ripped off. It's definitely no bullshit, but it's not glittery with trichomes like the other stuff I've been getting lately.

EDIT: I smoke from a bubbler and rarely hit it hard enough to cough.

7. Well first off to everyone posting, weed with seeds DOESN'T mean the weed is below par, I've had some dank ass weed that seeds. So this is a myth.

You can get headaches from smoking seeds and sometimes stems, so I recommend examining your weed somewhat carefully before loading it, and maybe avoid low quality weed. There's also a possibility that it's just the strain of weed or it's just bad(been in crappy places, had pesticides used on it, ect.)

8. #8 Wiggibow, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I don't care how good the weed is digging around a bunch of seeds is never worth your money. more seeds = less bud for your money too

9. #9 Smokinmeds, Apr 25, 2011
    I didn't say it was a bag of seeds with little flakes of bud, it was legitimate dank buds with a couple seeds. So I wasn't "digging around" a bunch of seeds, I'd just go to load a bowl and a find a seed every now and then, and marijuana seeds are tiny soo.. Yea..

10. #10 Wiggibow, Apr 25, 2011
    that's an enitrely different situation than seemed to be implied earlier, we were talkin about schwag man weren't we? I'd be happy to find a random seed in my kb, I could sell that shit hahaha

11. #11 TheBobMarley, Apr 25, 2011
    I used to buy mids when i was low on $$. Some of my friends get headaches from mids, but its fine for me. Just get some headies and ull be fine

12. I usually get headaches from smoking shwag. Thats why I dont smoke it :p