Head unit/amp question...

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by phantomxrider, Aug 30, 2010.

1. My knowledge is pretty limited to audio things...I've just now got interested in them. Anyways, this is my intended setup...

30w(x4) Head Unit powering 4 headrest speakers with 25w RMS power, with a
    50w(x4) amp powering two 50wRMS door speakers and 2 50w RMS bass shakers.

I'm not sure if the lower power head unit would be a problem with the higher power amp, or if the two things work independently.

Thanks
    :wave:

2. So your head unit is going to power your headrest speakers and your amp is going to power your door speakers+bass?
    If thats correct then yes, the amps should work just fine together. As long as you dont have your head unit wires connected to the speakers at the same time as your amp. Just make sure your speakers can take 50 watts rms, your speakers should be able to handle at least 60 watts rms so you dont blow them:)

3. Yeah, I have a problem now with my 50w HU being too powerful for the current headrest speakers and theyre starting to crackle. Of course, 4 of them only cost $25 so I'm not worried about it. So to fix that, I was going to get some better, "name brand" and higher RMS power speakers and have the HU dedicated solely to those. That way I can have the amp going to the bass shakers and door speakers.

4. Yah that would work but I doubt your HU puts out 50 watts RMS. Maybe peak but peak means next to nothing as they are all over rated and might peak at 2/3 of that. Look at the RMS wattage usually between 15 to 25 watts. That is how you will determine the speakers you should get. HU RMS wattage vs. Speaker RMS wattage.
    Also Im curious as why you went with bass shakers instead of a small subwoofer?

5. It didnt really occur to me head units have a RMS power rating.....it makes sense to me now but I bought the car with a head unit and all it says is "50w x4." Regardless, it was enough to blow out my 20-25w RMS headrest speakers.:eek: Do amps have RMS ratings as well? Should I get a more powerful amp to control 100w (RMS) total in speakers/bass?

As for the sub I don't want to go deaf this early. Plus, any size sub besides special shaped ones will take up a great amount of space. Also, I'd like to be able to have incredible bass while being stealthy when boxing my driveway. Nothin says bad ju ju like neighbors calling the cops to my driveway for a 2am noise ordinace ticket....

6. Yah the RMS rating is important if your running small speakers. If your HU says 50Wx4 on it, it more than likely puts out about 18 watts RMS. Yes, amps do have a RMS rating. You should make sure that you will want only 100 watts total for your whole setup as the smallest 4 channel amps I have seen are 50 watts RMS x4 which would mean each of your speakers/bass would be getting twice of what there rated. Also an amp will not only give you louder speakers but also clearer sounding ones.
    If I were you I would simply buy bigger speakers that can handle more power. Or if you do end up going with a amp that puts out more RMS than your speakers RMS rating you will want to turn your gain down so you dont blow them.