Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Head Shops treating minors like absolute shit.

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Durchii, Apr 28, 2006.

1. you guys don't need to be so ugly to each other. let's talk about this, not attack each other and try to make each other look dumb.

remember: :smoking:

2. For those who believe that minors somehow carry a curse, it's funny how adamant you guys are about following "rules" when you break the law every day lol. do you honestly think that even 2/3 of the people on GC are over 18? I know better than that heh

3. Bullshit, straight and simple. Do you even know what Spencer's Gifts is? Every mall I've ever been in has one, and they sell 5 x 6 posters with pictures of WEED on them. They sell HOOKAHS, and they're not a headshop. I know the laws, and I'm fairly certain whoever you're criticizing does too. So I guess that now I'm going to go to jail on a paraphanelia charge for wearing a Bob Marley shirt?

4. I've never heard of a poster being labelled as paraphanaelia because it depicted someone smoking a joint. What I have heard of is popo shutting down a place because they sold smoking devices in addition to something depicted cannabis/cannabis usage, and said device resultantly being labeled paraphanaelia. The laws in my state, btw, do not define pipes as paraphanaelia, only when they have cannabis in them, or cannabis resin on them, are they considered as such. I can understand head-shops not selling to minors, because around here, the cops actually do stings to bust headshops not id'ing, but you should really ease up, state law is different all over. I agree that that isn't going to make kids smoke ciggarettes, but, in most states, it is not illegal for a minor to smoke ciggarettes, it is merely illegal to give a minor said ciggarettes, whether selling them, or buying them for said minor. I hear they can take em in Florida though, so that would lead me to conclude its different in all states.

jeez ima go smoke a bowl :bongin:

5. haha this is excellent. I've sparked a war! ... Wait.
    Nevermind.

Lexus, I can see where you're coming from but no.. It is only considered 'drug paraphinelia' if if it is sold with a label on it that makes it intended for drug use or if youre in the store and say youre gonna smoke weed out of it, and they still sell it to you.

Which is why you see the signs that say 'Be careful what you say, we cannot sell you pipes if you mention drug use. You will be asked to leave' .. Straight and simple. You walk in, buy your shit and get out. You can chill in most places and talk but keep your damn mouth shut.

Cops send in two kinds of stingers. Ones that are under 18 to try and cut a deal *21 for a liquor store, but thats beside the point*, and ones that go in, straight out say that they're buying the pipe to smoke weed out of and hope they get a sale.

If either were to occur, trouble would spark. But nowadays its mostly the 'use of drugs' thing.

Lexus, I disagree with your statements wholeheartedly.

6. i used to walk into headshops with my bro all the time and buy rolling papers without ID. maybe it was because i had my bro with me, but they never asked me for shit, just grabbed and threw on the counter whatever i said i wanted. well, next time i get some spending money, im buying a nice pipe.

7. I totally agree!

8. Man the hypocrisy on these forums is amazing. I'm an asshole for speaking my mind and disproving ignorance yet they turn around and hit me with negative rep and don't even leave their names. Come on you goddamn cowards grow some nuts and man up.

Now that that's handled. Let me educate you Durchiii on what the law says paraphenalia is since you obviously don't know.

http://www.dea.gov/concern/paraphernaliafact.html

A lot of retailers get away with selling stuff like that because the DEA, thank God, cannot be everywhere. Enforcement gets more lax as the gray area largens and things go from clear to mud. There's simply too much of it. And that's just the federal law. Would you like to also know how your state feels about it? Because I'm sure I can come up with it.

Oh, and about Spencer's :http://www.mapinc.org/newsnorml/v06/n139/a07.html

Thanks for playing, please come again.

And since no one believes me, I'll cite my friend's case as best I can. After falling asleep with his stereo in his living room on too loud the upstairs neighbors called the police (apartment complex). Police arrived and my friend's apartment door was unlocked. They walked in, startled him, and he was arrested. Along with possesion of narcotics, possesion of alcohol as a minor, he got over 15 counts of paraphenalia including 1 Bob Marley poster depicting Bob Marley smoking a joint, 1 pipe that had never been used, and 3 pictures on his cellular phone that contained a scheduled substance or someone using a scheduled substance.

That's right kids all the budshots you fools post daily would be paraphenalia. The fact you have a membership at this website could probably be used against you as well.

If anymore cowards would like to leave me negative repuation please at least leave your name. If you don't wish to leave your name then argue with me here or send me a PM and we'll argue there. And if I get banned I don't care. I regret nothing. I can say I made a difference in this place and educated some people who really goddamn needed it.

9. It takes a real man to bitch about some negative rep, go on big man flex your E-penis and crush as all with that monstrosity we so fear!

This is just not necessary!!! *RMJL

10. The reputation is ultimatley meaningless. Its the thought behind it. That and the fact that if I'm such an asshole and the rest of these fine folk aren't, why give me negative rep and not sign it? You'd think someone who hates me that much would have the gall to simply say it.

Oh, and *flex*. You know you love it baby.

11. Remember its only electronic, reality sucks my Lexus_Rolla friend.

12. That's about as far as I think I'm going to go out on that one.

13. nobody listened :(

14. i agree with you

i dont know why this thread has lost control, its ridiculous

p.s. paranoia, i'm the one that gave you bad rep. no need to be such an asshole

15. a pipe is not paraphenalia, hell even a "water pipe" isnt. A hash pipe and a bong are though, its only once you attach a drug term to it, or if it has resin or anything in it, that it is paraphenalia. Yeah I know the spelling probably totally wrong. Its fucked up but thats the system and thats why a company like roor can produce such nice bongs for us to smoke.

16. I'm a new toker, and am planning to visit a couple headshops in Berkeley, CA (looking forward to going into Big Al's for anyone familiar with the area). I've heard a lot about it. They don't ID at all, but seem to charge higher prices to minors or people who don't really know anything about smoking stuff. From what I'm reading, this sounds kind of like a norm. BTW, I have a question for when I go there this weekend. Are headshops places where you can haggle over the price of a piece, or are they pretty much fixed like normal stores?

17. Smaller, privatley owned headshops will usually haggle.

18. Okay lexus.

The DEA website you sent me is not very informative and the bottom paragraph is pure propagand. But view this quote.

"Drug paraphernalia is any legitimate equipment, product, or material that is modified for making, using, or concealing illegal drugs such as cocaine, heroin, marijuana, and methamphetamine."

It says nothing about the use of tobacco with this 'equipment'..Oh, wait yes it does!

"Drug paraphernalia does not include any items traditionally used with tobacco, like pipes and rolling papers."

It does NOT specify what type of pipe to be used with tobacco. Glass, wood, metal, etc.. Which is why we can still legally get glass pipes in this country! If it were truly illegal headshops would not NEED sting operations to be shut down. They would immediately be fined! In fact, I doubt they would have even opened business!

You dont have to go to a drug dealer and request a waterpipe for use, thats why there are smokeshops.

This closes the argument right where it started, my friend.

19. Oh, please.

From that DEA website on paraphenalia in greater detail, "User-specific products are marketed to drug users to assist them in taking or concealing illegal drugs. These products include certain pipes, smoking masks, bongs, cocaine freebase kits, marijuana grow kits, roach clips, and items such as hollowed out cosmetic cases or fake pagers used to conceal illegal drugs."

Read the whole thing. Then go down to the very bottom and click that link. Read all of that. Ok, now you can post.

20. I can post whenever the hell I want, anyway ^-^ I do believe this is my thread, although we've been going at eachothers throats for some time now.

Why would the DEA limit what could possibly be used for tobacco products, because they believe it to be associated with marijuana use? There is a reason they only stated 'Bong' and not 'Waterpipe' because waterpipe is a perfectly legal term to describe a pipe used with a water filtration mechanism. In the 'bong's case, a downstem submerged beneath water.

The government has stated that the term bong be associated with drug paraphinelia and therefore if you walk into a headshop (A USA headshop, mind) and state you would like to purchase a bong, they will not sell it to you. You must refer to it as a waterpipe.

If there was a covert name for rolling papers, I'll bet that would be illegal too.
    Hmm, oh wait a tic!

Say you walk into a headshop and ask for 'joint roll papers' or 'joint papers' you will be handed your dick in a paper sack.

I actually think we need user submissions between this arguement. Who agrees/disagrees with my comments, and who agrees/disagrees with Lexus' comments.

Actually this is good, I love the thought process here.

EDIT: Oh and ont he topic of Spencer's selling Hookah.. They specifically had signs under them that stated 'TO BE USED WITH TOBACCO ONLY' .. How specific can you get? marijuana is so harshly referred to these days that all that is needed for aplace to close down is a parent complaint.. or some pig (sorry, but its true in this case) to walk in and ask for one of the hookah's on the wall and then bitch on CNN for 30 minutes that the place was filled with 'pro drug use paraphanelia'. You know what, fuck you Officer Bob! Just because a place sells keychains with potleaves on them and posters depicting marijuana does NOT authorize you to bitch and moan because a perfectly legal waterpipe is sold behind the counter with bold as bitch letters .. MUST BE 18 OR OLDER TO BUY.

*sigh* The defense rests, and apologises for getting carried away.