HD Camcorders

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by NotoriousCheech, Jul 17, 2012.

1. What do i look for when looking to buy an HD video camera?

im in the 150-300$ range. Any info at all is much appreciated.

:smoke:

2. What are you going to be using for?

3. BTW, that wasn't to sound like I'm snooping into whatever, it does change what camera model would be best.

4. macro shots and nature. inside my room as well. nothing very fast moving like sports for the most part, hopefully that answers what your looking for

5. no man no worries, trying to figure out all i can about video cameras. dont know much about them. but close up shots and environmental for the most part.

6. A Gopro might be a good option for you. Their video is pretty great, they're wide angle so you can fit a lot into a scene, if you want to use them for anything other than macro/nature, they're able to be clipped on to cars, bikes, skateboards, you name it. They're more popular in the sports world, but that's not all they can be used for.
    http://gopro.com/

7. hmm il have to check out my friends,not sure if the go pro is what im looking for.the no zoom option kills me.and having to buy the screen.

bestbyt around here is closing up and lots of deals on sonys..whats the difference between hdr and dcr? guessing dcr just isnt hd?

8. I don't know if the GoPro is right for you either. It's just one of the best cameras in it's price range and can perform quite well with it's standard fixed lens. I suppose, you have to like a fixed lens though.

For zoom cameras that are in the price range, you can try things like the Flip UltraHD. It does zoom, but not amazingly and you won't have a whole lot of luck getting macro shots with it. I have the older 4GB version that shoots 720p not 1080p and the video is hit or miss, if it's too dark it will crank the gain up and you'll get a lot of noise, but if it's in the day time, it will shoot pretty clean video. However, it was first gen, this one is a third gen, there could have been a lot of changes.

Sony has a similar version called the Bloggie Touch. It's a bit cheaper and offers zoom, 1080p video, and so on.

Those might be more what you're looking for. A simple pocketable camcorder with zoom and good to decent (low light) picture.

Also, yeah, DCR cameras don't have HD as far as I can tell. All models I've seen/looked up are 360-480p resolution.