Hawking: Did god create the universe?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by HardToker(:, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Part 1:

Steven Hawking. Did God Create the Universe? Part 1 - YouTube

Watched it the other night after smoking a J. My mind was blown.

This is some awesome stuff, Just a shame religious nuts are thinking up stories of how "god did this"

I much prefer to believe this guys theories on the universe than that of some guys thousands of years ago who thought the world was flat:smoke:

Light up and enjoy.

2. maybe God is the universe

3. Exactly what I was going to say DaiLLeSTeL! I mean it did create us.. (whether directly or indirectly)

4. What if we are an expirement in a lab somewhere. Like there is a universe outside of a universe and in that universe, there running an experiment of a universe and we are that experiment.

That would be our god. But I don't believe in a supernatural. It's bullshit either created to control people like the Egyptians did or we are worshipping ancient aliens.

Gods are what uneducated people believe in when they do not understand something. Once you find the logic behind everything, you realize it's not magic.

5. I suppose Einstein and many other intelligent scientists are uneducated then?

Not saying it takes intelligence to see how we are all connected to nature.. just saying god comes down to your interpretation of higher power. Personally, nature is my higher power, and we are constantly trying to understand its power through the scientific method.

6. How you go from my comment to Einstein being uneducated?
    Its a natural world and were learning logic behind it through reasoning.
    I don't care for religion because it tends to prohibit further scientific exploration.
    Religion is a separate discussion though. But as we learn more about the natural world an what is and was, there is no place for a divine god that created everything.

7. #8 DBV, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2011
    Because Einstein had an understanding of god. I agree that religion is a huge hinderance to the scientific wants of the world though.. it'll change eventually. It already slowly has..

8. Einstein did not believe in an all powerful creator if the universe.

To be honest I think the whole "god is everything" thing is hippie semantics.

9. #10 DBV, Dec 10, 2011
    He's quoted to say he believes in a god similar to Spinoza, which is basically pantheism. Either way though, others interpretations shouldn't build your own so I say believe whatever the hell you want. Doesn't matter to me in the end.

To me, saying "god is everything" is the same as saying "nature is everything". They are synonyms in my personal vocabulary.. the word god's just been around longer

10. Oh i believe it does matter...what if u were the only person in the world that didnt believe in a creator and u were right about it?? It would be a shame to have the rest of the world believe something that just wasnt true now wouldnt it?

11. Why would it be a shame? Your entire post is extremely biased, but I'd say people are free to believe whatever they'd like as long as it doesn't affect my freedom.

Yes, I realise your argument is that is what religion is doing, and I agree completely. Nature provides a lot of possibilities that ancient dogmas just do not want to happen for whatever reason (all manmade reasons they say was "gods word"). As I said though, I think it's slowly changing. Eventually we'll have our cake and eat it too. :D

12. If the rest of the world believed in unicourns and dragons would that not be a shame??

Im all for people believing whatever they want, my problem lies when their beliefs find there way into policies that govern my life...thats when it becomes my problem

13. Not really.. I'd just choose not to care/believe. I try my best not to be judgemental of others choices/beliefs.

And I agree completely with the second part to your post.

"I'd say people are free to believe whatever they'd like as long as it doesn't affect my freedom."

to-ma-to, tom-ato.

14. I guess ur missing my point, there are hundreds if not thousands of laws throughout this world that are in place do to religious beliefs. These laws may or may not effect u directly but they do effect millions and millions of peoples daily lives. Take pakistan or afganistan for example, the laws they have there are not only primitive but abusive to average human beings and they are strictly based on religious beliefs. Now i know u prob dont live in pakistan but these are still humans being treated this way and thats where my problem with it comes in.

15. #16 DBV, Dec 10, 2011
    laws inhibit freedom.. This is what I mean by being against dogma that inhibits personal freedom.

16. Therefor beliefs inhibit freedom...

To-ma-to tom-ato ;)

17. #18 DBV, Dec 10, 2011
    Wow man... did this phrase really go that far over your head?

I'd say people are free to believe whatever they'd like as long as it doesn't affect my freedom.

I respect that you don't agree with me, but you do realise everything you've posted here was your beliefs correct?

18. Its impossible to say this without sounding arrogant or ignorant but....in this world there is such a thing as right and wrong, fact and fiction.

I dont have a problem with the common people believing anything they want, its when my president/pm/law maker imposes his beliefs on me thru laws and policies that i cant stand for

19. Same here man.