Hawaii Tsunami

Discussion in 'General' started by 1Canuck, Feb 27, 2010.

1. So I've been in Kauai, Hawaii the last 9 days for my sisters wedding and plan too fly out tomorrow afternoon at 2. I turned on the news and there has been a 8.8 earthquake in Chile today and S. America + Hawaii have been put on Tsunami alert! There not sure at the moment if there's any real danger but it's a definitely possibility. Anyone else in the area hearing about this? They say the impact will hit around 11:30 am Saturday. I need a doobie to calm my nerves

2. Kauai is on the far end of the island chain. The big island will probably get the brunt of it, Maiu and Ohahu might get a little to but Kauai will be pretty shielded. Your fine.

3. Thanks man I wasn't to aware of the island locations and they didn't specify which islands on the news. That's a relief but still kinds freaky this is going on

4. That's really unfortunate. I hope that won't cause too much damage.. and that you make it back home safely.

Good luck.

5. Holy crap, dude. I didn't hear anything about that but it sounds scary! Are you still flying out and everything? Best wishes to you!

6. #6 1Canuck, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2010
    Well it sounds like the islands will avoid any serious damage. I saw some footage from chili and it's a mess the president declared a state of catastrophy. The warning is still on Hawaii and mainly the S. American coastline as well as possibly Australia. Good to hear it's not as bad as it could have been but chili is definitely in some trouble. Still plan on catching the plane back to Canada tomorrow. It was my first time out of the country and it was unreal I love it here. Weather is beautiful and the people are way laid back. Plus some premium bud from what I could get my hands on. Edit: ok so they just issued an official tsunami warning for the entire state of Hawaii including Kauai. Things just got a lot more serious, I'll try to keep this updated as I learn more.

7. you come to kauai and no even invite me to burn ahhh

i see how it is mane

8. #8 Paintoast, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2010
    hello 1Canuck, my sister is also in Hawaii. She just arrived in Honolulu yesterday.
    Do you have more informations now ? I've read that an evacuation plan has been set up and an alarme will ring at 6a.m (approximatly 6 mins ago).

My sister doesn't speak very well english, can you tell me if your sisters tell you anything about what's going on there ? please.

Thank you.

9. This is fucking crazy here's a article Hawaii sounds tsunami warning sirens | General Headlines | Comcast.net for those who haven't seen it yet.

It's almost like the world is preparing to end or something, first that asia tsunami, the haiti earthquake (biggest ever recorded) and now this 8.8 in chile, it's becoming ever more apparent that our time will come to an end.

Good luck to everybody in tsunami alert areas, godspeed.

10. wow I just woke up and saw this. I have a very good friend I've known since 3rd grade who is in Hilo for school and suppose to be coming back home in a week or two. I hope to god shes ok.

11. On Cnn that were saying how the Haiti earthquake was a 7.8
    Chilles was 8.8 which apparently is 1,000xs stronger, this is ridiculous

12. #12 green_lady, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2010
    I'm not sure about 1000x stronger. My mom showed me pictures and it didn't look near as bad as Haiti. I'll try to find some in a sec, but some buildings were still standing and they hadn't counted as many casualties in comparison at the time (and that was like an hour ago). I'm reading now that they have many hospitals with severe damage, but all together it looks like they're in a better position...

edit
    "All buildings have to comply with very strict building regulations so that the structures can withstand earthquakes," said Chilean architect Monica Jarpa. "Our architects have to be real experts in building earthquake-resistant buildings. "An understanding of earthquakes is ingrained into our culture." -This

They're lucky. Maybe it was a thousand times stronger, but I guess these people know what they're doing when it comes to earthquakes. :p

13. It was around 900 times more intense than the quake in haiti and released around 500 times more energy acording to the US Geological Survey.

Thing is we have building standards for earthquakes and a sismic history, Haiti has neither.

14. For any one who is wondering Hawaiin Tsunami never happened. The water levels just rose a bit. I didn't hear any reports of damage.

15. Wow, this is really insane. I hate to say it but I wonder what's next?

D o G