Hawaii and New Mexico Approve New Bills to Decriminalize Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by sachidananda, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Read the article here.

2. hmm it passed already, I knew they had a hearing on the 26th but was sure they were going to punt it back and forth a little longer.

3. I love this article my home town in NW New Mexico is nothing but weed haters and oil rig people. I wanna throw this in thier faces! These people support anything the republican party says without question, (stupid sheep) even Gov. susanna martinez and her lack of positive change... They really make me hate being a conservative.. we need someone who really follows the will of the public.OVER 50 percent of NM voters in 2012 support decriminalzation its self explanitory, our officials should represent us not thier own selfish ass backwards views. Fuck the Govt!!!

4. very exciting

5. anybody out there from hawaii OR new mexico?!

c'mon, gcers.

both of these states have officially progressed, for pete's sake. nobody diggin' on it?

6. We need to be very clear on what happened in these two states.

The bills advanced out of committees. That does not mean they have passed. Many bills advance out of committees only to be killed in the full legislative body.

Still progress is progress!

7. Big island already has it as lowest priority for local cops, and DEA branch in hilo shutdown, pretty sweet. It's already super super lax over here, can't believe its not already decriminalized.

8. Progress is abounding everywhere,,more states have bills being written right now,,state legislators aren't even waiting to see what the feds do about WA and CO,,,because every one of them were in college and the majority smoked weed while they were at those parties and with their buddies,,they knew this day was coming,,and it has arrived.

9. That must nice.....but not true where I live...both my state rep and state sen. are poster boys for the tea party......and my congressman as well

we can't even get medical MJ passed here, to much corruption & greed

10. Watch closely the next six months,,,all it should take is for any state legislature to pass a legalization bill with possible mega-millions of dollars tax revenue while every state is cutting budgets,,,especially prison budgets,,,it will become a shark infested pool as those same "greedy" pols in your state smell the blood in the water.

Even decrim bill hurt prohibition because when marijuana is no longer an arrestable offence except larger quantities it removes all that fed bounty money for possession arrests the police chiefs and admins of state police depend on fror their budgets,,,they will quit supporting the policy by arresting pot heads,,they have better things to do.:smoking:

11. Hawaii Senate votes to decriminalize marijuana - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Hawaii Senate votes to decriminalize marijuana
    Posted: Mar 05, 2013 12:27 PM HST Updated: Mar 05, 2013 12:27 PM HST

Connect with us!
    LIKE Us on Facebook
    Follow Us on Twitter
    Get Text & Email Alerts
    Download our Apps
    Send us photos & video

By ANITA HOFSCHNEIDER
    Associated Press

HONOLULU (AP) - The Hawaii state Senate has voted unanimously to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana.

The state Senate approved the bill Tuesday. The proposal now goes to the House for consideration.

The bill creates a civil violation for the possession of 1 ounce or less of marijuana. Lawmakers added a $1,000 fine to emphasize that the use of marijuana is still illegal despite the shift from the criminal to the civil realm.

Sen. Clayton Hee says the bill is designed to reduce the backlog in the criminal justice system.

Law enforcement officials oppose the bill and say that decriminalization would make it harder to enforce the law against the drug.

A related bill to legalize the drug died in the House earlier this session.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

12. The fine is oppressive but since killing people in China and other oriental countries does not deter drug use,,,then it will fail to slow down the lady either.

the good thing is,,no arrests for marijuana possession removes law enforcement's incentives for racking up possession arrests,,it will take a lot of the support for prohibition of marijuana by law enforcement administrations and sheriffs out of the issue.

13. Use, sale, or possession of paraphernalia in Hawaii is a felony with penalties of up to $10,000 and 5 years in prison. Give a bong to minor and you are looking at a possible fine of $25,000 and 10 years in prison.

Ouch....

Hopefully if this decrim law passes in Hawaii they will also address their paraphernalia laws.

14. They hardly Jail people here for small quantities as is, unless you are selling it or have hundreds of plants. This just sounds like a revenue generator than any sort of "victory" for pot smokers.