Having Trouble with First Grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kcsov6, Sep 26, 2011.

1. I've been trying an indoor grow the last 7 weeks. 1 soil and 1 hydro is what I'm down to that's survived and female. I am forcing them into flowering so I can have SOME of my own bud. The seeds are just bag seeds, but I'm becoming discouraged.

I have 2 last resorts for some seeds I just got. I was thinking either SoG because my plants are seeing the problems after they get rather large and I figure maybe it would be easier because you don't let them get big at all in SoG.

Second method is just wait until spring and plant outside in the ground because a lot of my friends have told me that's what they do and mother nature takes care of most of the work.I hate the thought of having to wait til spring.

Any input?

2. indoor takes time to get down. if you have height restrictions scrog would be the way to go. people here will help you out alot you just have to ask the right questions. What exactly is the issue with the plants you have now?

3. exactly.... i get you get an unknown problem at a later stage of growth but if you don't describe it how are we supposed to help? :)

4. Leaves yellowing / brown spots. I keep checking Ph, but I have a cheap meter that only test in scales of 4.0 5.0 6.0 7.0 and 8.0 It doesn't give .1 .2 and so on. I really haven't got the money to invest in a good meter right now as I've spent a lot of money on a grow box/lights/soil/feed and then bills.
    When I do test the Ph it's always a little lighter than the 7.0 test color so I'm assuming it's in the 6ish range.
    I feed with miracle gro all purpose plant food NPK is 8-7-6
    I'm thinking maybe those numbers are a little low for my plants since they are getting older. Thinking of using another product (I can't remember the name) my mom has it's NPK is something like 30-15-15 or 30-15-30.
    I have the soil plant in a 2 gallon pot with cheap soil mixed with perlite (plain soil came with no nutes)

5. I've been thinking of saving up and investing in fox farms brand everything and a ph meter in months to come for a grow, but the way this grow is going, it has me wary of investing much more money

6. would need a pic to diagnose issued with yellowing and a very detailed description of the events leading to the yellow and how it formed on the plant.

those numbers are fine (8-7-6), though I suggest not using MG. For flowering you will need to switch to something like 2-8-4 or along the same ratio.

How long have you been in veg?
    How many watts in lights do you have?
    What are your temp range? (lights on lights off)

Throw a pic up and lots of people will come to your aid. I don't want to see anyone get discouraged.

check out the links in this thread they might be of some use to you.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/49086-plant-abuse-chart.html

7. If you put more money into it, you can do it right. It's a lot easier having the right equipment.

It's like expecting to fly a kite without string.

8. I have 300 Watts of light on 5 plants: 3 tomatoes, 2 MJ plants.
    Temps are low 80s in the day / low 70s high 60s at night (in the box)
    I had the MJ in veg roughly 4 weeks, maybe 5 because of height restriction. I tried reverting back to veg when I got a bigger box, but I read it can take up to a month so I kept in flowering. I first noticed the changes when I starting using boiled tap water instead of distilled. I switched back to distilled a little over a week ago because the distilled test high 6 Ph with nutes and my boiled water was testing 8.0.

9. Trying to upload pics right now, but it will not allow it. Hope to have them up in a few

10. 300W hps/cfl/mh?

now we are getting somewhere
    lets see that pic

11. These pics are a few weeks old (when I had done some pruning). The plant pictured is a lot taller and fuller now. The bottom leaves in the pic have all turned completely yellow and fallen off.

The last picture was at the end of flowering when it was very healthy, I don't know where I went wrong :(

Attached Files:

12. CFL except for 2 80 watt fluorescent shop lights

13. I can not pin point exactly where you went wrong but here is what I would do.

1. leave them in flowering (12/12 lighting schedule)
    2. get quality nuts.
    3. use the distilled water you were using as the PH is better
    4. move your lights closer to your plants. (with cfl's you can have them like 2 inches from your plant)
    5. read the plant abuse link I posted earlier

What you have shown does not look that bad, little small but not bad at all. the yellowing of the leaves is something that you are going to have to match to one of the pics shown to figure out your issue there.

don't get discouraged I have seen and grown much worse. you could easily pull those plants out of it. Make sure you don't over water them, keep your temps in the right range, keep them close to your lights (make sure you have the right spectrum of light) and get your yellowing under control. unfortunately there is alot of reading associated with this so I would take a gander at this and see where you went wrong.http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute...s-guide-get-you-started-growing-cannabis.html

14. I'll get some better pics tonight. I did move close to the lights a couple of days ago as someone had mentioned it another another thread of mine (maybe you lol) They had been over a foot away from the lights the last few weeks.
    I was just worried it was a Ph problem as I hear the plant causes Ph to go up slightly all the time. So once a week I have been sprinkling a small amount of Ph down pH Adjusting Organic Soil Amendments at Home Harvest Garden Supply in the link it's the 4th product down Epsoma brand Soil Acidifier and then I water a little over it

15. I have pics I took last night. I will upload them when my phone charges up. The plants look worse this morning :( a couple of bottom leaves went from yellow to a REALLY light yellow color.
    I found 2 seeds in a bag last night and am wanting to start them, but I'm at the point I'm about to just pitch it all out. I've read many successful journals on here of people not using Ph meters as well as many of my friends growing without Ph meters. And when I DO test my soil with the cheap test I have everything comes out fine. Not sure what to do. I've never used a cal/mg supplement? Even tho I don't know if that would cause the plants to fail this horribly.

16. I'm thinking of dropping the money (I have an emergency stash saved up) and just buying Fox Farm brand nutes, MAYBE soil, and whatever else you guys would recommend for a relatively cheap grow. May even invest in a meter if anyone knows a cheap meter 20-30 dollars that's reliable.
    Try to be thorough if you have advice on what to buy. I've read so many different things, worm castings, cal/mg, rockwool cubes, at least 10 different types of fox farms products, it became overwhelming.

17. Whats the Ph at ???

Also, since they are in flower now, u
    want a nute that is high in P & K - especially P.

Freak
    :smoke:

18. All I have is a cheap meter all I could find / afford at the moment. It only tests at 4.0 5.0 6.0 7.0 8.0 . It's showing up at 7.0 but a little lighter, so I'm guessing in the high 6 range

19. Pics from last night

Attached Files:

20. 2 sets of lower leaves that had fallen off this morning

Attached Files: