Having problems with my cd rom drive

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Sudan420, Oct 5, 2010.

1. It doesnt read all the time when i put a disc in, once i was testing 5, cds only 1 worked, but it took a long time for it to load up, any ideas on fixes ? ITS an HP DV4 Series Laptop i that i bought in Feb of this year.

2. If you have access to another computer with a cd rom drive, check to see if the cds themselves work.

Your culprit could be that the laser is dirty. It's the little lens underneath where the cd sits. It can be cleaned with a q tip moistened with 96% alcohol. Do not use any other sort of liquid cleaner as it may eat away at the lens. LIGHTLY glide over the lens with the q tip, do not apply any pressure to it. Immediately dry it with the other side of the swab.

If that doesn't help Sudan, it could be toast :confused: Check your warranty to see if HP will replace it.

Good luck man, lemme know how it goes.

3. The previous poster is correct, imho. Another idea would be to purchase a CD rom cleaner - which is a disk with tiny brushes, or something similar, when 'played' it removes any dirt from laser lens.