Having a "problem" with quitting cigs.

Discussion in 'General' started by sfsc, Jan 17, 2011.

1. I've smoked a pack and a half to two packs a day for about 10 years, but I stopped about 3-4 months ago. Other than a few of screw ups (2-4) when I was drinking, I'm completely stopped, but when people ask if I smoke I can't say "no" ... I have to say "I did but I quit."

I have NO problems NOT smoking. The cravings are there (which is surprising, I figured they would've stopped by now) but it doesn't mean I smoke ... I just keep myself occupied.

But the problem is ... I STILL CRAVE IT ALMOST 24/7.

A friend suggested "maybe you didn't quit right" ... which I thought was stoner babble at the time but it sort of makes sense ... I dunno how though. I've heard of plenty of people stopping cold turkey.

:(

For those that quit, did you ever 100% stop liking the appeal of "damn, a cig would be sooooo nice right now." ?

2. im the same way except with bud

3. Im on my third day....

4. I miss bud during t-breaks but it's not the same feeling.

5. Just wait it out eventually you'll get over it

6. No, its not the same. You just dont have self control

7. Takes a while to get used to being a non-smoker. It really is, a serious addiction, You might have kicked the physical addiction but the mental remains. For years you held a cigarette between your fingers, chain smoked while you were drunk, smoked when you were done eating, when you woke up, when you went on break, etcetc. Takes a while to get over something that was just part of every aspect of your life for so many years, even after the physical addiction is gone. Hang in there brother, you're doing good for yourself and prolonging your life, the urges will pass. Also, if you're a blunt smoker, might wanna put that on the back burner for a minute until you adjust to this new life.

8. i know how you feel. i havent been smoking as long as you have but when i was up to a pack a day after i quit(for the first time) i always thought that. and no i am on my 3rd time quiting because i always have a craving and say how bad can one be.

9. yup lesson to be learned here for anyone who has quit or intends to, 1 becomes 2 become 3 becomes pack and a half a day.

10. If you have money to spend on quitting, try using an electronic cigarette.
    Continue to try to be nicotine free, but when you're drunk or something a tar-less nicotine device can save you a relapse.

I'm having success with one. I don't find it cheaper though with all the parts you have to stock up on.

11. I don't know if it was a placebo effect or not, but when I was eating wheatgrass (I ate it raw, didn't juice it, but it's pretty much the same) I tried quitting. It was so fucking easy, I never felt the need for one. I was smoking a pack to a pack and a half then too. The say it cleanses your blood and I am thinking it helps flush out your "receptors" but I have no facts to back me up, just thoughts. If I did slip and smoke, it had me feeling high for a few minutes like when I first started smoking.

I can't grow WG right now cause I have too many pets who can get where ever they want and they seek it out and eat it... Drama caused me to pick up a pack and I got back on them, but once I get my taxes back, I am going to invest in a cheap, but effective setup and get some going again. I'll be trying it again to see if the first time was a fluke.

12. You should make a small garden and fence it off with chicken wire.

13. Cats are pretty vicious when it comes to wheatgrass, I don't know why. I have 2 in my room and 1 in the basement and a dog on the main floor. Everything I've built was destroyed when I turn my back, lol.

I am thinking a shelf outside of my window when it warms up or an actual grow cabinet type set up. The dog fucking tipped over a 6' tall bookcase when I had it on top just to get it. It's like crack.

14. mmhmmmm. i know everyone says this but i can quit whenever. i dont smoke because i have to i smoke because i like to.

15. to each his own...

keep your comments to your self

16. Nah He is right.
    It's simple, Nicotine is addictive in a way that marijuana is not.

17. You cannot tell me quitting weed is as bad as quitting cigarettes. I can already guess you have never smoked cigs.

I havent smoked weed in over a year. I didnt even realize a had quit until a few weeks after. Only a few hours after your last cig do you have a need for another one.

The only way you can make it was bad as cigs is if you have no self control.

btw if you are that sensitive, dont open yourself up to ridicule by posting whatever comes to your mind

18. I smoked for 4 years, last 2 years being about a pack a day to every other day. I quit about 2 months ago, ive smoked maybe 3 cigs in that time period.

I still crave them, yes, but i've just decided not to buy a pack or bum them. In a way, thinking about the money side of things has helped me ($100 a month), because i no longer will buy packs.

i smell them, i see people smoking them, i see them on tv and in movies, and i still crave them. I do not crave them 24/7 however, only when im really around them. I know someone who has quit for a year and he said the edge will come off the craving slowly until about 9 months.

when it comes to the smell, the mental reaction to smelling seeing etc, I feel we will suffer that the rest of our lives to some degree. We picked it up. and now I feel we will always associate a good feeling with a smoke...but it's up to us to just say no.

good luck.

19. nah i smoked cigs n dipped for months on and off sometimes goin through pack or cans ina day. For some reason my body just doesnt get addicted to nicotine i guess and you guys are pretty dumb for thinking everyone is the same as you...

like i said to each his own....

20. Tell that to the countless millions...