Having a couple issues. Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Spydaman, May 13, 2011.

1. #1 Spydaman, May 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2011
    Hello Everyone. PICTURES ADDED ON PAGE 2
    I have a plant going that is about a month and a week old. Indoor/Soil.

Issue #1. Small bugs. I have only noticed these crawling in the soil. They are VERY small but if you look closely you can see them with your naked eye. When I see them I only see one, and then I pluck it out with a little bit of soil and get rid of it. Once I see one, I try to find more and I might find only 2 or 3 if I sit there looking closely for 10 minutes. I haven't noticed anything crawling on the plant itself, I check it carefully and I haven't noticed any webbing under the leaves so I am not sure if they are Spider Mites.

I took one out that I noticed crawling on the side inside the bucket and I tried to inspect it under the magnifyer. I could't get a good look at it because I kinda had to squish it so would stop moving. It almost looked like it had a goldish color but when I see them crawling in the soil they almost look kinda white.

I know its tough to say exactly what it is without a picture, but its currently lights out so I might have to get to that tomorrow.

Issue #2. Some of the new leaves growing in near the top.....half of some leaves are smaller and a little yellow and a little twisted/deformed. Like one half of the leaf is nice and green but then the other half of that tip might be alot smaller and a little yellow. It only seems to be affecting one of the 2 new shoots that are coming at the top. There have been a few others along the way that end up being ok but still half of one tip is smaller than the other half of that tip.

A few details, I am using 15-30-15 plant food, growing in MG Potting Soil and MG Organic Mix (with Perlite added). 5 gal Black bucket, with a plastic hose run into the bottom to help evaporate any water that might gather in the bottom.

I currently have no way to check the water pH so I am just using filtered tap water (I have well/softened water). I use a spray bottle to water the soil and every 2-3 days I foliar feed with Carbonated Water and Plant Food.

I am not using any advanced nutrients yet.

Light cycle is currently 18:6

If anyone can help me out, I will really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Spydaman

2. Do the bugs look sorta like larvae? Any little tiny bugs like fruit flies buzzing about? Could be fungus gnats.

Can we see a pic of the plant, could be a few things. Are there holes in the bottom of your bucket? Or just this hose thing?

3. What type of light? CFL, hps? How many watt? how many inches away from the plant are the lights?

4. #4 Spydaman, May 13, 2011
    Thanks alot for the quick responses.

No, they don't look like Larvae. They seem to always be moving, they don't sit still. They crawl kinda quick.

No flying insects, gnats or fruit flies.

100w CFL (just using a 10" shop light housing)

I keep it about 6" away from the top of the plant. 2'x2' grow area using the dull side of alum foil.

No holes in the bottom of the bucket, just about an inch or two of Perlite in the bottom with the hose going to the bottom and then Perlite mixed in the soil.

With the yellowing of the leaves, I thought that could have been a nitro issue. This was before I had the plant food. Once I started adding the plant food it seemed to get better. I clipped the tips of the few lower leaves that had some yellowing. Now the stem is getting woody and there is alot of new growth coming in.

Haven't noticed anything on the underside of the leaves. I just checked very well a little while before lights out.

The first 4 fan leaves have just about grown beyond the edge of the buckets. I have some pics so far on my phone, gotta load them online so I can post them.

I will try to get some pics up either soon or tomorrow sometime.

For being only a month and a week or so I think its doing pretty well other than these few issues.

I don't have proper air intake/outtake at this time, that is why I am trying to compensate CO2 with the Carbonated Water foliar feeding.

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.
    Spydaman

5. 1. Address that issue now. Get some Insecticide Soap..its organic they sell it at Lowes and Walmart. If you wait in a while you will be overwhelmed by infestation. Its safe for the plant spray the leaves then top of the soil. Revisit the issue 4-5 days and spray again. Then take your plants out and disinfect your grow area with some bleach water.

2. Get a PH Balancing kit off Amazon. 18 bucks off Amazon and youll have it by next week. You might not think you need one but hes a good reason to. I live in Atlanta I at first thought PH balancing was nonsense. Had some issues got a kit and the PH level of my water is about 8.0. You get nutrient lock when its to high or to low. Basically your plants stop feeding since your really upsetting them.

A general rule of thumb is to keep around a pH that ranges from 6.0-7.0 for soil (with the pH kept mostly between 6.5-7.0), and a pH between 5.5 and 6.3 for hydroponics (keeping it mostly in the 5.5-5.9 range).

Your also using MG Soil which has time released nutes...one of the reasons most on this site hate MG soil. Anyhow you could be over nuting them actually since you never know when one of those MG golden balls ruptures to feed your plant.

Co2 feeding if your not doing it like where you have a sealed box and a tank with input into the box wont do you any good. Co2 disperses into the atmosphere almost instantly. People who use Co2 have a very tightly controlled box, grow room etc to be effective. Basically what there doing is displacing a large amount of the oxygen in a controlled environment with Co2. What your doing is a waste of time.

Also make a air exhaust as soon as you can. Its more then just for oxygen its to control the humidty since your plants give off mositure, moving air wisps away heat etc.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-pH-Control-Kit/dp/B000BNKWZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305275512&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: General Hydroponics pH Control Kit - PC500: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

6. #6 Kadaj, May 13, 2011
    Issue #2. Some of the new leaves growing in near the top.....half of some leaves are smaller and a little yellow and a little twisted/deformed. Like one half of the leaf is nice and green but then the other half of that tip might be alot smaller and a little yellow. It only seems to be affecting one of the 2 new shoots that are coming at the top. There have been a few others along the way that end up being ok but still half of one tip is smaller than the other half of that tip.

It's from heat exhaustion I just had that same problem. They are not getting enough of a breeze, humidity or the light might be too close. Plus the mg burns your plants so get new grow medium. That will adress issue #1 as well. They are dirt mites - similar to spider - except they eat your roots instead. Had that problem with dirt I bought from a lot. I got rid of them with simple dishsoap diluted in water; then flushed with clean water (good to do once a month)

I'm still a newb myself - hope it helps

7. Thats how I got gnats. I bought a bunch of herb seedlings to plant inside from Home Depot not even thinking they leave that crap outside all day. In about a week had a massive gnat infestation. I won the war though!

8. Thanks for the reply.

I have done quite a bit of research before I started my grow. I am in Michigan, with all my papers in order.

I know that CO2 is vital, and air cirrculation/venting is very important. I am unable to really do anything about this at this time.

I have read that if you cannot afford a CO2 tank setup, you can add some Bakers Yeast and Brown Sugar in a pop bottle, poke some holes in it and as the Yeast starts to break down the sugar it will slowly release CO2.

With the Carbon water/plant food foliar feeding.....isn't that better than nothing at all?

I do have a fan blowing into the area, I just don't have a fresh air intake or outtake yet. (can't really do that until I move which I am planning on doing in a few months.

Right now my plan with this one is to keep it vegging until I move, and then keep it as a mother.

I plan on investing in a PH testing pen for water testing. When I went shopping they only had PH testing for soil and it was more expensive than I thought it was worth ($30+).

Any idea what the deal is with the funky growth? Could that be PH imbalance or over/under fertilizing?

I have been using an 8oz spray bottle, and I did have a cleaned out gallon milk jug that I mixed plant food into and then poured that mix into the spray bottle and I sprayed the soil good and occasionally foliar feed. But, I noticed a little stuff floating in the bottom of the gallon jug so I have since started just mixing a 1/8th teaspoon of plant food right into the 8oz bottle I am using and mixing it right before I use it to avoid any plant food just sitting in a jug for days before it is all used up.

I appreciate the tips. I am no pro at this, but I am trying to do things right. I keep the area clean, wear clean clothes and have clean hands whenever I am dealing with it. I would wear powder-free latex gloves but I don't have them right now.

Thanks
    Spydaman

9. I have green anoles - no bug problems for me. My house is riddled with wolf spiders there's only one that I've come across that was too big for them to eat and I killed him.

10. Seriously diluted dishsoap will help get rid of the bugs? Sprayed into the soil?

I was wondering about garlic diluted in water, would that help at all?

I am not sure how it could be heat exhaustion. I am using my closet and during the day when the light is on I keep the door open and I have a box fan that I have about 6 feet away from the door blowing on low all day. Air is circulating, and it isn't too hot.

I keep my light about 6" away from the top of the plant and it isn't very hot. You can put the back of your hand about an inch from the bulb and it only feels warm....not hot at all. (I was actually reading the CFL guide and it is suggested to keep the light 4" away from the top of the plant.

I was also dealing with a little bit of red stems in the beginning before I introduced the plant food. I am sure this was likely a nitro issue, since the new shoots have grown and the plant has gotten taller all of the stems are nice and green.

I have pictures on my phone, I will email them to myself and then load them in a few.

So these things are possibly dirt mites? And diluted dishsoap (or the plant soap) will help?

Give me a few minutes and I will try to get a few pics posted.

Thanks
    Spydaman​

11. Co2 regardless of what you read is a waste but do what you want. All you will end up doing with your glass of yeast is getting some nice looking funky foam.

If your not circulating air, not ph balancing, not dealing with your larva issue then why are you growing lol?

Co2 is vital thats why the atmosphere is filled with it and we live in a lush green planet for the most part :) The world has all the Co2 that it needs more then it needs if you susbscribe to the global warming folk.

And yes its most likely from you over nuting it. Your using MG soil..suckage, adding nutes to already nuted up soil.

Why do you think most of us use un nuted soil so when we add it we control it not some indeterminable time released capsule.

As for the cost of the PH balancer I linked you one for 18 bucks. If you cant afford that then dunno what to tell you. Growing MJ costs money. Might as well do it right or take your time gather up all the necessary materials and grow a great batch.

12. Also get a temp/humidty guage your hand is not really a good indicator. There about 15 bucks at Walmart.

13. I plan on dealing with the pest problem, shouldn't I find out what it is first? lol

Will diluted dishsoap really work?

Ok, I will ease off the nutes for a few days and use only filtered water.

I will get the PH test as soon as I get the extra money. I wasn't saying the PH thing you linked me to is too expensive, I was just mentioning that when I actually went shopping for one (hoping for something to measure the water PH) they only had a soil test kit that had these capsules in it.

I know alot of people don't like MG. I started with Organic mix (MG) and then I also got some Potting Soil (MG) because I thought the slow release fertilizer would be good. (live and learn right?)

What about those little CO2 bucket release things that are about $120, are those worth it?

Right now I am only vegging. I know by the time I plan to flower I will have proper venting and intake for air. And also I will have CO2 of some type.

I am working on the pics, my phone was dead so I have to charge it for a few minutes.

Thanks
    Spydaman

14. On the pest problem no not really since the course of action is the same. Insectiside soap kills a list of insects that is like a page long...and most do the same thing. There attracted to the mositure in the soil they lay there eggs, larva feed on the roots, turn into adults cycle repeats.

Dunno about the dishsoap.

Good luck on the Co2. Unless its done right its a total waste of time. Take a look at the grow journals on here. Plenty of us grow some big plants without it. Mine are 16 inches now planted about 7 weeks ago 4 White Widows no CO2. There in flowering now growing like a inch a day.

15. #15 Spydaman, May 13, 2011
    I guess I don't have any pics that show the growth issue. Not sure if you can see it on this picture or not. I can post a better one tomorrow when I can have access to the plant.

[​IMG]

I will get the insecticide soap. I am not being naive about the situation....trust me. I want this all the right way.

Right now I am trying to keep things going until I can really get going ya know? lol

Thanks
    Spydaman

This thing sprouted 3-31, so just over a month old.

16. I guess you really can't see much of it from that angle. I will take some better pics tomorrow.

From what you can see, how does it look?

Thanks
    Spydaman

17. I am not sure how it could be heat exhaustion. I am using my closet and during the day when the light is on I keep the door open and I have a box fan that I have about 6 feet away from the door blowing on low all day. Air is circulating, and it isn't too hot.

My top leaves were super bright green/yellow and deformed and it was from heat exhaustion but that was just my problem. Had poor air circa with a 600w mh.

Could very easily be nitro burn, from the mg

18. It might be nitro burn. I do water/fert every few days but at 1/4 strength and not even 8 full ounces in a spray bottle. So since the soil has nutrients I should only use water?

I plan to get a PH meter as soon as I can. I know that is very important.

I will post another pic in a little bit. I am going to ease off on plant food for a couple days and see what happens.

So the whole carbonated water/plant food mix for foliar feeding isn't worth it at all? Not even better than nothing?

I will try to get the insecticide soap this weekend and hopefully that will clear up the insect issue.

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it.
    Spydaman

19. Here are some better pics that show the issue #2 I am talking about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side view of nearly the whole thing

[​IMG]

Top view

[​IMG]

And here is the first pic I posted again (so they are all together for easy reference)

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help,
    Spydaman

20. Any input on the pics?

LMK

Thanks
    Spydaman